a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Adequate trailer for CP-23

Started by wilwait, August 06, 2013, 10:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip1930

Are you telling me with these photographs that the screws, washers, and nut is the adjustment?
Please don't tell me the screw is just set into the square tube. Not welded down.

Your on your own junior.

I'd roll the boat off the trailer and cut everything that was not original trailer.
Make a friend with a welder and fabricator and start again. Do it right.

You might as well take 2 x 4's chained together under the rub rail and pick up the boat, pull out the trailer, and start again.
The stuff under the keel that the keel sits on is junk.

skip.

MacGyver

Quote from: skip1930 on August 14, 2013, 08:27:22 PM
Are you telling me with these photographs that the screws, washers, and nut is the adjustment?
Please don't tell me the screw is just set into the square tube. Not welded down.

Your on your own junior.

I'd roll the boat off the trailer and cut everything that was not original trailer.
Make a friend with a welder and fabricator and start again. Do it right.

You might as well take 2 x 4's chained together under the rub rail and pick up the boat, pull out the trailer, and start again.
The stuff under the keel that the keel sits on is junk.

skip.

You crack me up Skip........  ;D

We just sent off 4 boats this year, all on cradles, built by me, using that exact arrangement, only with a pad on top, all on that very cradle onto a semi truck, and down the road, one of which went to Florida, and another is going to CT in a few weeks.....

If you strap the front down and the back down, and literally not tight, just something to prevent a upward bounce, because that is possible, and I have seen boats come in that have jumped the trailer luckily landing back on it, just the keel to one side or the other...... it will be perfectly fine.

You can also use rope to tie it down.  Some people dont even tie it down......

One thing to note on what we call that threaded rod, we call them screws. as long as the screw has about 3 or more inches into that tubing, you are good to go. also, wipe off the screw or shoot it down with brake cleaner to clean off oil, then after it is dry, duct tape them into place. When arriving at the place it will call home, remove the duct tape so it doesnt become a nasty mess later from the sun.

I love this forum,

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

wilwait

And Junior is on a learning curve here...

Now, I would have strapped her down tight.

wilwait

Quote from: wilwait on August 13, 2013, 10:49:37 PM
Thanks Salty.

I saw Brackish's pictures of the bunks on his trailer.  I was intrigued by Bob's "wood pads with scrap carpet".

I agree with your evaluation of the modification of a power boat trailer.  Unfortunately, it's not sitting near a boat yard or marina.

Relamb, where's the trailer that came with your CP23 please?

thanks.

wilwait

Quote from: Bob23 on August 13, 2013, 06:59:49 PM
   I have neither bunks or rollers just a wood pad covered in carpet scraps sitting atop the square steel supports. 1 on each corner. No need for bunks. What I don't like is the position of the forward supports. They are a little too far back for my liking. 
   Biggest concern is the bearings and tires. You really don't want a blowout on the road now, do you?
Bob23

Bob would you be kind enough to direct me to a picture or closeup of your wooden pads (instead of bunks) please?

thanks.

Will

skip1930

No offence. Well the more I studied this trailer and the way I think it is cobbled together with 'Iffy', cold, splatter stick buzz box welds. I don't know. "Hold it closer to the phone so I can look at it."

Every re-view I see something that catches my eye .. like ika~rumba~cheka, might as well just toss a rope around the keel and let her lay over. We'll worry about the boat and putting it back on the trailer later. But first grab the Mexican smoke ratchet and burn off the smag.

I have nothing against a flat bed trailer with a cradle, that's how we brought back Steve's boat.
Worked well.  I take an educated guess and figure the angles and the dangles and the weight to
safely drag the boat down the highway.
I don't want to kill anybody when something comes apart. I may have come close once.

Nobody died and no damage to any vehicles but in '85 [?] I did dump about 4,300 lb of Ryerson 3" x 3" x 3/16" x 20 foot sticks of black angle iron steel across all three lanes of the highway in site of the Saint Louis Arch in the state of Misery.  

Yep here's skippy out in the highway dragging each stick back to the trailer and tossing each back up on the flat bed. One stick at a time. In the heat. In the early evening, With the bugs. I kind of sort of stopped traffic and of course created a gapers' block on the lanes going the other way..  Some 'weight lifter' guy came along and pitched in and the cops were nice too. Don't ask.

skip.

But come on man ... look at this thing. O.K. if your going to pull the boat around the corner of the house so you can cut the grass under it, fine.

I just figured out your avatar, It's the Shamrock owned by the gentleman who owned the Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company [A&P].
A Brit. Who when asked by a reporter how he slept after loosing yet another international race? Responded dejectedly, " Like a baby. Every two hours I woke up and cried."

O.K. so it's the Yacht Iverna , c.1895; This photograph looks an awful lot like Alfred Beken's photographic work who founded Beken and Son Ltd. in Cowes, Isle of Wight.
I have a small book called the Golden Age of Sailing with a text by William Collier.
Sailing ships 1880~1931, we have...Buttercup, Thistle, Mohawk, Velsheda, Endeavour, Petromella, Tomahawk, and Britannia. So many more 'J' class cutters.

wilwait

Good guess Skip --  Do you have a story for the Iverna Yacht, c.1895?  Beautiful sailboat at full sail.

wilwait

Quote from: skip1930 on August 15, 2013, 01:02:41 AM

O.K. so it's the Yacht Iverna , c.1895; This photograph looks an awful lot like Alfred Beken's photographic work who founded Beken and Son Ltd. in Cowes, Isle of Wight.
I have a small book called the Golden Age of Sailing with a text by William Collier.
Sailing ships 1880~1931, we have...Buttercup, Thistle, Mohawk, Velsheda, Endeavour, Petromella, Tomahawk, and Britannia. So many more 'J' class cutters. [/color]

Does your Sailing ships 1880-1931 include the Bluenose?

This link gives the history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluenose

Don't miss the first YouTube link ever -- 1938 edition -- pretty unique!  You'll notice all the "racers" standing around with their hands in their pockets!  And they won!

It had quite the record...

Enjoy.

wilwait

Quote from: skip1930 on August 15, 2013, 01:02:41 AM

But come on man ... look at this thing. O.K. if your going to pull the boat around the corner of the house so you can cut the grass under it, fine.

I enjoy your sense of humor. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for a report from the local welder that went on site today.

moonlight

I would certainly get rid of those rollers and, if not able to fit 2x8 or 2x12 wooden bunks in place (and I think this could be done on the existing trailer, without removing the boat), at a minimum I'd replace those rollers w/ 2-ft square slabs of 1-1/2" plywood (like two 3/4" sheets bonded or at least screwed together).  Spread the load, save punching a hole in the hull if she rocks or moves.

wilwait

Quote from: moonlight on August 25, 2013, 07:46:36 PM
(and I think this could be done on the existing trailer, without removing the boat)
Spread the load, save punching a hole in the hull if she rocks or moves.

Thanks for the great advice Moonlight.

Three candle jacks could lift the trailer and boat, seeing as everything is stabilized.  Then with some cribbage the boat could be jacked.  The trailer lowered, pads could be added (spreading the load), and the trailer slipped forward to balance the center of gravity over the axles.

I do believe this could be the way to go until the sailboat can be transferred to its mooring and trailer reinforced.

Good advice, thanks again.

Will

Bob23

Will:
   Sorry I didn't notice your request for a wooden pad photo. Check about halfway down on pg. 22 of my thread:
http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=2854.315
   Nothing fancy... just some 2x6 with carpeting on a steel post bolted to the trailer. 4 of 'em.
Bob23

wilwait

Bob:

No worries.  Thanks for the link.

Will

Salty19

I'm with skip, not a big fan of that trailer.  3 cross supports, one rusted and the V area is rusty. These are points of breakage during high load situations (like hitting a pot hole).

The entire weight of the boat is on two of them. It's clearly made for a much lighter power boat, and I think you're asking for trouble using it on a heavy boat like a 23.  Just my humble opinion, I certainly hope you never have an issue.

My CP19 trailer looks twice as strong as that 23 trailer does!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

HideAway

I did a couple of videos on building our Com Pac 23 trailer and maintenance - they show the bunks etc

http://youtu.be/da22KjapfPE

and

building the trailer there are two videos - this one is more popular

http://youtu.be/wYkU3GsdOGc

Someone mentioned brakes  - This is a real horror story- be sure to pull your drums before you take off on the highway!

http://youtu.be/BvKwct3HsIo

Hope these help  Matt

SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/