Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Adequate trailer for CP-23

Started by wilwait, August 06, 2013, 10:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilwait

Greetings:

I am wondering if a double axle trailer with good full length shoal keel support and 4 braces (with two rollers each) would be adequate to haul a CP-23 from Boston to Plattsburgh, NY.

I just need reassurance, are 4 braces and 8 rollers enough to balance a CP-23?

I would like to send 2 pictures to anybody who would be kind enough to evaluate and maybe share some advice.  You can email me at wilwiat@bigfoot.com.

Many thanks.

Will

PS  Is there a better place to post this request on the site?

Bob23

Hi Will and welcome.
   Send me some photos...I have a 23 and can evaluate based on my trailer. My email is in my profile...send 'em there. I'll be away from Friday morning till Sunday evening so if you do it today, I can take a look and respond before I split.
  Best,
Bob23 and "Koionina" 1985 23/2 in NJ

wilwait

Thanks for the welcome Bob.  I'll send you some pictures.

Will

wilwait

Thanks to your help, Skip and Allen -- I can now include the two promised pictures.

Would any of you travel 300 miles with this setup?

Or from the other side it looks like this:

Thanks for your expert advice.

Will

Quote from: wilwait on August 06, 2013, 10:30:27 PM
Greetings:

I am wondering if a double axle trailer with good full length shoal keel support and 4 braces (with two rollers each) would be adequate to haul a CP-23 from Boston to Plattsburgh, NY.

I just need reassurance, are 4 braces and 8 rollers enough to balance a CP-23?

I would like to send 2 pictures to anybody who would be kind enough to evaluate and maybe share some advice.  You can email me at wilwiat@bigfoot.com.

Many thanks.

Will

PS  Is there a better place to post this request on the site?

wilwait

Thanks again for your patience in helping me post pictures in the message.

I appreciate it.

Will

nies

I WOULD NOT TRAVEL 3 MILES with thar rig, but thats just me ............I would place bunks connected to the two stands on eacxh side................nies

wilwait

Quote from: nies on August 10, 2013, 03:36:29 PM
I WOULD NOT TRAVEL 3 MILES with thar rig, but thats just me ............I would place bunks connected to the two stands on eacxh side................nies

And if I had more money -- neither would I...

The bunks are a great suggestion, with a third support -- that is the plan once the sailboat is in the water.

Thank you for balancing my evaluation.

Will

Bob23

I have neither bunks or rollers just a wood pad covered in carpet scraps sitting atop the square steel supports. 1 on each corner. No need for bunks. What I don't like is the position of the forward supports. They are a little too far back for my liking. 
   Biggest concern is the bearings and tires. You really don't want a blowout on the road now, do you?
Bob23

wilwait

Working with what I'm starting with, I was thinking of adding a bow support before leaving.   (Bearings and tires are to be inspected closely of course). 

I like the idea of the boards with carpet instead of these rollers once I get her home. Could I trouble you for a few pictures please?

Thanks Bob.

Will

Salty19

Brackish posted a picture in your other post on the same subject in the CP23 section.  I would merge the topics, but am having technical issues doing so.

That trailer looks kinda iffy to me.  Rust right at the V joint and along the back frame. Unknown tires and rims.  No bunks.  I'm not seeing a lot of (any?) cross supports, either. Maybe just the angle of picture is tricking me.  Does it have cross supports?  My CP19 trailer has about 4 or 5 cross frame members, and it weighs over 1,000 lbs less.

It looks like it's a powerboat trailer that is being used like a cradle more than a roadworthy trailer.  Is it stored right next to a ramp?
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

relamb

Here's the trailer that came with my CP23, it's a Magic Tilt (although I never tilted it, because it was locked with a padlock and no key).
I towed the boat over 6000 miles the first year I owned it.  Lost two bearings.  Lost an entire wheel once.  Note the two new spares.
it has keel rollers, hull support rollers, keel guides, and a fancy deck somebody put on to help with launching.  Also a bow stop.  The light wiring has been replaced with extension cords, the lights plug into the ends of the cords and are removeable.  I always have lighting problems, so I just take them off and never immerse them.

Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

wilwait

Thanks Salty.

I saw Brackish's pictures of the bunks on his trailer.  I was intrigued by Bob's "wood pads with scrap carpet".

I agree with your evaluation of the modification of a power boat trailer.  Unfortunately, it's not sitting near a boat yard or marina.

wilwait

I love to see your Magic Tilt trailer that came with your CP23.  Where do I find your pictures please?

Salty19

No, that is actually fortunate it's not near a ramp.  That means it's been on the road as opposed to a "hitch and dunk" trailer conversion.

The lack of cross frame members is concerning. Are there some, or are the pictures just fooling me? Which wouldn't be the first time!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

wilwait

If I understand your question right, from the frame in the back -- there there seem to be 3 cross members.

I hope these pictures help.