a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

my reworked technique for single handed setup

Started by InertBert, May 15, 2013, 12:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

InertBert

I've been getting smoother and faster at handling this boat.  The rigging is so simple, and requires such little tension, that it really makes sailing a dream and not a chore.  Here is a brief rundown of my current methods for critique by the more experienced, or as instruction to the people who want pointers.  

I rigged a jib downhaul that runs through a sheave at the bow.  I clip my topping lift to the downhaul line, slide my mast back in the crutch, insert the mast pin through the step, lift the mast into place and tension and cleat off the downhaul/topping lift.  This holds the mast very firmly in place, I can then jump down out of the boat and connect the forestay.  

I then take the topping lift and clip it to the butterfly on the back of the boom, clip the mainsheet to the bottom of the butterfly, and finally with the back of the boom supported, I slide the gooseneck into place on the mast.  

I hank on my jib while still on land, and keep it sheeted tight and hauled down until I'm ready to raise it.  If I have a deckhand, I will sometimes use a bungee loop around the jib to keep it bundled neatly and prevent it from filling in the wind before its raised.

Raising my mainsail is still a three handed chore that involves unrolling two feet at a time and a lot of cursing.  My current mainsail handling methods aren't graceful or efficient enough to single handedly reef quickly if the winds come up in a hurry.  I'm using a cajun tiller tamer (rope) and standing in the companionway hatch to hoist on the halyard and pull the gooseneck simultaneously.  This leaves me a few seconds away from grabbing the tiller if anything comes up.

How do you guys handle the mainsheet?  Any additional tips/pointers?

high tide is up

Sounds like you have it under control!!!  Love the jiffy tender rope on the tiller as long as the wind's not to bad.....

InertBert

How close to the wind are the rest of you able to point in a C16?  I am disappointed in my windward angles as compared to my Venture 222, but I am only using a small jib and a regular slab rudder.

Bob23

IB:
   I'm not familiar with the Venture 222 but to the best of my knowledge the CP 16's along with the 23's, are not high pointers. That being said, when I converted my 23's original flat rudder to a wood foiled blade, the permormance increase was remarkable. She pointed higher, tacked through much easier and seemed a bit faster. Then when I had a new suit of sails made (my 23 had original 1985 sails) she turned into a different boat. Again, pointing higher still and much more control especially when the wind piped up.
   I fly a 155% genoa and a regular main. Making sure the rudder blade is all the way down will help, too. I'm sure there are many 16 guys here who will chime in but that's my 2 cents. In my humble opinion, upgrading to a foiled rudder blade is a must.
Bob23

kickingbug1

in reply to your main sail raising question. i made a simple lazy jack system (cost maybe 4 bucks). i raise the main in the parking lot then with the topping lift affixed i lower it onto the mast and secure with one or two bungees. once away from the dock i take off the bungees and stand in the companionway and hoist the sail. my mainsail has plastic slugs (tasker sail) and takes maybe two or three seconds to raise. at first i released the lazy jacks once the sail was up but later found no sign of sail chaff if i left it affixed. my 16 has a homemade furler which i just converted to give me the ability to change jibs while on the water. if you have one of the striped 135s try it on light air days it works great. and by all means get a foiled rudder or make one yourself. many on the site have
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

mandolinut

I totally agree with Kickingbug on the slugs for raising and lowering the mainsail. What a huge difference. They slide up the mast channel with very little friction. I believe I used  6 of them, so probably a total of  6" of nylon/plastic surface friction instead of 16' of fabric friction in the mast channel. Here are some images of various sailing slugs

http://www.google.com/search?q=sailing+slugs&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=LgqZUfrJN5G08QTz9YC4BQ&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=636#imgrc=fQpRblYnKjNRcM%3A%3BqjS4L_CZCVPq0M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fsailrite.files.wordpress.com%252F2012%252F09%252Fslugs-slides-and-shackles-1.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fsailrite.wordpress.com%252Ftag%252Fsail-slugs%252F%3B2250%3B829

InertBert

Thanks for the replies.  I have slugs for my mainsail, I love them.  Do you have your goosneck above the opening in the mast slot?  I think I have too much luff to raise my boom up that high.  Do the lazy-jacks interfere with roller reefing or do you have jiffy reef setup?  I'd like to get a genoa but I don't have tracks for my headsheet jamcleats, how long of a foot do you figure I could get away with running?

oh, one other little rigging tidbit:  I made a foot long length of strong line with loops on both ends, in light wind days, I use that under my jib.  It raises the foot up off the deck so I can see under it, at the cost of a raised center of effort.  I don't mind the raised COE on light wind days, in fact, it probably helps to catch every little puff I can.

Bob23

Bert:
   I also have full slugs on the entire luff of the main...love 'em! She raises and lowers effortlessly. I do not, however, have the gooseneck above the sail slot. Rather, I have a sail stop just above the slot which prevents the slugs from exiting the slot.
   All this really helps as I do most of my sailing single handed.
Bob23

InertBert

"sail stop" ?!  What is this mystical piece of hardware?  I am guessing it is something to hold the slugs above the sail slot.  I am also guessing it is in the junk drawer in the kitchen of my boat's previous owner.  

I can make something simple out of a carriage bolt and wingnut, but what does a real one look like?

Now I am wondering what other pieces my boat is missing.

Bob23

Real sail stops are very rare and made of the metal unobtanium...they are issued by the gods of Compac and only one per year is given to humanity. I was fortunate enough to be chosen to receive one by said gods. But you can get a knock-off here:
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|319693|311614&id=706447
Might wanna buy a few...rumor has it that they fall to the deep occasionally.
Bob23
I have 2: One to hold the boom up and one above the sail slot to keep the slugs from exiting the slot.

kickingbug1

the boom is below the sail slot and the sail stop it set in the channel after the sail is raised. and no i dont roller reef my main. i dont think it would work very well with the slugs anyway since they would have to fall out of the channel as you reef. the bolt rope would always stay in. the lazy jacks do negate roller reefing. when im done for the day i just lower the sail and flake it loosely on top of the boom, very easy and quick. with the relatively small sail on a 16 i dont see the reason for ever reefing it. i never have. if i ever feel overpowered with just the main up its time to head in anyway. i tip my hat to the small number of compac sailors who can roll the main on the boom. everytime i did it i felt i needed at least one more hand and a hell of a lot more patience.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

wes

Like Bob, I keep two of them on the mast. I tell people that one is to hold the boom up and the other to keep the slugs from falling out of the slot. Really it's because I know that once a year I'm going to drop one of them into the drink, and this way I have a spare on hand at all times.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

jpfx

I've always bought mine from dwyer masts... dh890

Shawn

Anyone put a mast gate on instead of the sail stop to hold the slugs up? I have been considering that as it would make it a little easier to reef as the sail will fall lower which will help set the new tack on the sail.

Shawn

Saluki86

Thanks Bob for that tidbit!!!  I think my day has just been made.