Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Keeping the boat dry

Started by wroundey, March 10, 2013, 08:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacman

Quote from: MacGyver on April 22, 2013, 06:31:00 PM
If you use Life Caulk, then I wouldnt be afraid to put the rubrail back on.

That's one of the reasons why I like Life Caulk for sealing stuff. 

It is a sealant, not an adhesive like 5200.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

breezy

Boat this 1980 compac boat. Was replacing the center part of the sole.
Living in Florida , water got into the boat. Mostly accumulated in the center cabin area.

Lifted the boat high to get water to run to lazerette area against the transom. Very little water flowed that way.
Water was stopped by rear bulkhead. Called Hutchins and was told there is not connection between rear bulkhead and lazerette.
Reading your posts it appears that has to be a connection between the bulkhead and the lazerette.
Am tempted to drill a hole in bulkhead.

Please somebody enlighten me.

Citroen/Dave

Breezy,

I believe that the rear bulkhead is there to keep minor water entering the lazerette, in the lazerette.  I have wondered the best side to locate a bilge pump.  That depends on where you think you might hole the hull.  In either case there probably would not be much time with or without a bilge pump as a forward leak would quickly run over the top of the bulkhead.  (I've located my bilge pump aft of the bulkhead for ease of servicing.)   

If water is leaking in from the deck or the deck/hull seal, repair the leak and get the hull dry with a sponge and the a dehumidifier. 

My two cents worth.

Dave
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

MKBLK

Breezy,

I agree with Citroen/Dave. I wouldn't drill holes through that low bulkhead. My guess is that Hutchins anticipated water collecting all the way aft and the bulkhead helps keep it back there and not flow into the cabin. My 16 is now 32 years old and water always seems to find its way in. Fortunately, it's just a little bit. The biggest leak I've had is when the scupper tube broke away from the cockpit deck/floor. Then the water can quickly overflow the bulkhead and make things soggy in the cabin. A good test is to plug the exit holes in the transom and powerwash down into the scupper tubes. If they're leaking, you'll find out real quick! Hope this was helpful.

Marty K.
Pegasus

P.S. The biggest risk is water coming IN via the scuppers should they be separated from the cockpit deck. That's what happend to me. Be sure you have your scupper plugs (for the stern) installed to check that. Unless you're taking a lot of water over the coaming, you don't need the scuppers to be open. Keep 'em plugged and take them out when driving home!
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch