a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Keeping the boat dry

Started by wroundey, March 10, 2013, 08:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lochinvar

Another trick to find evasive leaks is to pressurize the boat with a leaf blower. Put the blower output thru the deck vent and seal it with tape. Try to seal around the entry hatch the best you can with tape. Don't use Duct Tape on the cabin hatch, it is a mess to get off.

Then turn on the leaf blower and start hunting the leak with a sprayer with soapy water.

Does this method work? Yep. Expect some leaks around places that are supposed to leak: cockpit hatch door, cabin entry hatch and door.  But there will be enough volume to find the ones that AREN'T supposed to be there: mast base, deck/hull seam.

This has worked on a 30 foot boat (stanchions leaked) and even some mobile radars that the Army has that I am a Field Service Rep for. We found the leaks in all cases using this method.

Good Luck of course!
-Shawn F.

wroundey

What are people using for bedding compound for through deck fittings? Best ideas?

Thanks

Pacman

I like Boat Life polysulfide sealent.

It seals well, is easily removed at a later date, and is easy to work with.

Do not use 3-M 5200 polyurethane adhesive unless you never plan to remove the hardware again.

I do like 5200 for permanent bonding jobs.  The stuff is really strong.  I just don't use it as a sealer.

Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

MacGyver

Most everyone here knows I recommend LIFE CAULK which is that same thing Pacman referred to.
I have used it o seal everything from stanchions to blocks, etc.
The deck to hull seam I would use 5200. And also 5200 on the eye bolt at the front of a boat that is used to winch it on a trailer.

That 5200 when removing my hardware for a full repaint job actually caused more work by ripping off gel coat......

Luckily I know how to fix all of that :)

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

wroundey

Any best suggestions on where to buy the Life Caulk?

nies

Have used all products over the years and for your appli. 100% silicone from the hardware store worked best for me.....................removes easily and seals great..................nies

Craig

The biggest problem with using silicone is that once you use it nothing else will stick to that area,even more silicone. Very too slippery!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

nies

Never had that problem.......................nies

Bob23

I recently rebedded the stanchions on my 1985 23/2 with butyl tape. This has been discussed on this forum somewhere in the distant past. It remains sticky nearly forever and retains some "give" which is important as the stanchions always seems subject to some movement. I aslo used it when I installed my dorade box on the foredeck.
   However, it can be sheer madness if working with it in hot weather, as I did. It's better to remove the "squeeze-out" when it's cooler out. Unless you want to drive yourself mad!
Bob23
(ps: On some other areas, ie: sliding hatch guides, I had great results with DAP 3.0 caulk, the old stuff. Unfortunately, they changed the formula and now it's not nearly as good. It used to be workable down to minus 30F or so. Not so now. That being said, old fashioned type butyl caulk works ok for sealing where water instrusion is not a big issue.)

MacGyver

Life caulk can be bought through defender I think otherwise Jamestown distributors.
I would put up a link but I am on my phone and even though I'm a young guy, this phone is too advanced for me to figure that crap out........hahhhhahahhahah

That butyl tape sounds neat and my camping buddy tried to get me to use it.....but I just can't.......I like the looks of a finished clean product and those always have the look of something under the hardware.... like a gasket. Just my opinion.

That life caulk you can do before a rainstorm if you wanted, water helps cure it. So if you get the assembly together and it starts to rain, have no worry.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

Salty19

Silicone should never be used.  Contaminates the surface for years, if painting will be a huge issue
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

wroundey

Bob,
Where did you find the butyl tape?

Rahn

You might also want to read this concerning rebedding hardware using butyl tape.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware

MacGyver

Well.......now I am pondering using Butyl tape.....
hmmm..........

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.