a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Keeping the boat dry

Started by wroundey, March 10, 2013, 08:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty19

I be re-sealing this spring. Butyl tape is on hand!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

MacGyver

Salty, where did you get your butyl tape from?

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

Aha!!!! We did it!!! We got Mac to defect from LifeCaulk to butyl tape!!!! And they said it couldn't be done!!!!
   I got mine locally from my glass guy. I didn't like the black color and I'd rather have the grey stuff but it worked great. I think the grey stuff wouldn't make one curse as much as the black stuff in hot weather.
   The butyl tape indeed acts as a gasket, Mac. After I reinstalled the stanchions, I only hand tightened 'em, let them set for a day or two and then did the final tighten-up.
(ps: Old-guy Mo-town listeners will remember Archie Bell and the Drells doing "The Tightenup". Oh yeah, I can just hear it now!!!)
Bob23- the thread-drift king!

MacGyver

DAG NABIT, Bob23 you caught me and announced it to the forum members........

I should have sent PMs........

I am going to try it, hell, that article looks like a much cleaner job than Life Caulk, and beleive me, no matter how clean I have been with Life Caulk, it is always somewhere......

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

Tim Gardner

MMMPHHH! the sound of a life-caulk installer.  I think one can get white butyl tape from Sailrite & others.  No need to mess with offsetting colors.

Look Here: http://www.sailrite.com/Trimmable-Butyl-Tape-3-4-Bedding-Deck-Hardware-Sealant
TG

PS. "Dag-Nabbit Luke, Where's Peppino?"  Amos McCoy, circa 1963.
PPS. Gol dern Sailors, anyhow!  Amos McCoy, circa 1963
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

nies

You can get the tape in white and grey at Walmart......................nies

ribbed_rotting_rusting

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2013/April/how-to-pick-the-right-sealant.asp

From what I read even Don Casey is recommending Butyl tape. I confess I bought 3 rolls 3 months ago after reading the outline and pictures at
www.pbase.com/mainecruising/butyl_tape  Mike

wroundey

After enlisting the help of one of my daughters with a hose I have found three leak sources that are allowing water into the cabin. Two are easily dealt with - I need to re-bed my bow pulpit (two deck attachements leak and two do not so I will probably do all four just to be safe). The other leak however is tougher. I had my daughter spray water along the chainplates for the shrouds and both sides are leaking - not at the chainplates themselves, but it appears my hull/deck joint has some gaps and is letting water in. I need some ideas and thoughts in resealing my deck to the hull. Suggestions?

Thanks

Pacman

You might try Life Caulk polysulfide sealant.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

skip1930

In the movie Animal House the boys stopped at a roadhouse and walked in on this band, it was an all black bar.

skip.

Bob23

I knew SOMEBODY here would remember that song!!!!!
Wroundly: there's a lot of discussion here on this site about resealing the hull/deck joint. If you do a search, I'm sure you'll find it. I hope I don't have to do this job on my 23. But I think it'd be a simpler project on a 16.
Bob23

wroundey

I was thinking about waiting for a nice warm/hot day, pop off the black rub rail, caulk up the joint and fittings, and then re-install the rub rail. Any issues I might run into with this plan?

Pacman

Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

Bob23

Wround:
   You really should open up the problem area of the seam, scrape out all the crap, reseal and rebolt. Of course, you'd have to remove the bolts or rivets in order to open up the seam. I think it's a more long lasting job than just applying caulk. Although, that my do the trick!
Bob23

MacGyver

I would do just as you say, but dont caulk the rubrail on...... well, I wouldnt, but I guess it depends what caulk you use..

If you use 4200 or 5200, dont pur the rubrail back on right away. If you use Life Caulk, then I wouldnt be afraid to put the rubrail back on.

ALSO remember that when reinstalling the rubrail, do it when it is warm out, and nice sun, lay them in the sun to warm up, that way it is better on you putting it on again! :)

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.