a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rigging info for the CP-16?

Started by rdwalker, September 23, 2011, 08:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdwalker

Hi, all, I just became an excited owner of a 1978 Com-Pac 16.

I would like to obtain rigging (and any other) information for the boat; unfortunately, the previous owner is sadly deceased and no documentation is available.

I see that Hutchinson offers owner's handbooks "for all models". Does anyone know if that covers the 1978 version or only their current products?

Is there any other source for instructions, manuals, documentation applicable to the '78 CP-16?

Thanks in advance.  Robert.

JBC

Hi Robert,

Welcome.  I think original manuals are still available from Hutchins; several manuals I've seen over the years simply had addendums to the original manual for later models (I currently sail a '90 CP16/2).  I would simply call them...they are very nice people... and ask about the manual.  Another great resource (assuming it is still in print) is Robert F. Burgess's Handbook of Trailer Sailing (International Marine).  I have a second edition.  Much of the book is about Burgess's experiences sailing a 16 and a 19.  Many rigging diagrams, some reproduced from the original manuals, I believe.  Plenty of other great tips and clever ways to pack stuff on a 16.

Jett

Billy

Welcome aboard! Where are you located? Maybe there is someone on this board who lives in your area and could help u out.

Lots of good stuff on this board, the search feature can help a lot too.

I just got the handbook of trailer sailing from amazon for like 8 bucks. Lots of good stuff there, but most has already been discussed here.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

rdwalker

Thanks for the welcome.

I will call Hutchinson on Monday - will order the CP16 manual and the Burgess book.
I am getting psyched. The paperwork is still, unfortunately, being straightened out; once that's done, I am hoping to be able to get it into the water at least once this season, to see what may need to be done (and if it actually floats, heh, heh...).

I am located in northern NJ, near NY State line. Greenwood Lake is the big aquatic body here; that's where I will try the test run. I am updating my profile - now that I have something to put in there.

Thanks again.  Robert.

Billy

Bob,
Are you anywhere close?

I,d love to go sail in the Hudson!

brackish

AFurlan

Hi,
I have several items including rigging and is listed on craiglist: OMPACT 16 Standing rigging etc.
Please have alook and let me know if interested
Good luck on your recent acquisition

rdwalker

Quote from: brackish on September 24, 2011, 03:35:49 PM
A good start here for rigging specs.

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=1093.0
Thanks! Will check it out.

Quote from: AFurlan on September 24, 2011, 11:18:36 PM
I have several items including rigging and is listed on craiglist: OMPACT 16 Standing rigging etc.
Thanks. I think I am OK, though - most of the equipment I got is in a good shape; plus, I am on the other side of the country, in Northern NJ.

rdwalker

Quote from: Billy on September 24, 2011, 02:14:15 PM
Bob,  Are you anywhere close? I'd love to go sail in the Hudson!
No, I am further west - near Greenwood Lake on NY/NJ border. Though I may try Hudson next season, once I straighten everything out.  Robert.

rdwalker

Well, here are some pix and request for more info. Please bear with me - I am quite excited about the new acquisition; like a kid with a new toy I can hardly wait for the adults' instruction (in this case, info from Hutchinson).

First of all, here's the boat. I set it up yesterday, to prove to myself that I can step the mast and rig it single-handed.

Now, the questions. Would any one of you here have a picture of the mainsheet block connection and sheet routing? I'd appreciate this; I could not figure this one out.

I am talking about what needs to connect to the end of the boom:

I assume that this blue line is all that is necessary and that the shackle at block connects to boom. Am I right?

Now, this is the setup on the stern. This has me quite lost.

Picture is worth a thousand words, they say - this would work for me.

Also, once we are talking about mysterious (to me) components - what is this? These blocks are on both sides of the boat, just below the gunwales. Are these for routing the jib sheets? Angle looks weird.

Finally, what could this be?

Thanks in advance. Robert.

Billy

yepn the shackel on the block connects to the end of your boom.

Then tie a stopper knot or bowline at the end of the mainsheet and run it throught the fairlead and up to the double block on your boom, then back down to the other block on the starboard side of your transom, then back up to the boom and down through the block w/ the cam cleat.

Like this

the other item w/ the white line is a boom vang. attach it to the base of the mast and about the mid point on your boom. Should have a cleat, bail, or fairlead.

And the blocks on the sides are for your jib sheets. I haven't seen them on a 16 though. Yours is a 1st. Probably for a larger genoa or spinaker. Seems if you run your jib sheets through the blocks on the combing I would cleat them of at the stern cleats instead of trying to run them back forward to the fairleads and cam cleats on deck.

Make sense?

rdwalker

JBC

Hi Robert,

Great looking boat!  One question that might help with the blocks below the gunwales:  Did the boat come with more than the standard jib shown in your (great!) pics?  I agree that they are likely there to handle genoa or spinnaker sheets (most likely the former).  Since your pics appear to show the standard cam cleats for the jib (forward, top of the gunwales), then likely the additional blocks are for an additional headsail.  As to the angle, ideally the sheets for a genoa must run through a block far enough back toward the stern of the boat so that from that block, they point toward the middle of the genoa sail (in most conditions).  Later boats have a track that runs on top of the length of the gunwales, to allow the blocks for genoas/spinnakers to be adjustable (and to accommodate roller furlers).  In the latter case, the angle of the sheets can be adjusted to match a reefed genoa sail, for example.

Jett

rdwalker

Quote from: JBC on September 25, 2011, 10:47:36 PM...Did the boat come with more than the standard jib shown in your (great!) pics?  I agree that they are likely there to handle genoa or spinnaker sheets (most likely the former).  ... Jett

Hi, Jett, thanks for your comments. I believe you are right.  .
The boat came with a jib and a genoa sail. It is also possible that it was once equipped with a spinnaker - I found this 6-ft spreader (?) inside; it could have been a part of spinnaker setup, right?

So, I guess, that's what these blocks are for.

I am slowly getting oriented. The CP16 manual and the Burgess book are already ordered - I had a nice email exchange with Gerry Hutchinson.

I will be posting a lot of other questions shortly, as become more acquainted with the boat; I hope you guys don't mind.

JBC

Hi Robert,

Chances are, that pole is a whisker pole, designed to hold the jib/genoa out at the clew of the sail when sailing downwind, so it won't get drafted by the main and flop around too much, or accidently gybe.  I have not rigged a spinnaker on a ComPac, so can't comment on that, though it's entirely possible the pole, which should be adjustable, could be used for that as well.  I can't quite tell from your pic, but if there is a line running from end to end, parallel to the pole, then the pole might be rigged to accept a topping lift or downhaul, for use with a spinnaker.  But at least, it should work with your genoa!

Google "whisker pole" and watch a couple of brief videos about their use.

Jett