Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailering

Started by deisher6, August 06, 2011, 09:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKBLK

Kevin,

Thanks for posting the pics of your cradle. Looks really good. I'm going to steal your idea and build one ASAP! (If it ever stops raining). I'm getting tired of banging my head on the boom when trying to work in the cabin. And, of course, it'll reduce wear and tear on the cabin deck as well.

Again, thanks, it's real helpful.

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

deisher6

Kevin:  Found the pictures....will fabricate one by the end of the week.  Great design, thanks.
regards charlie

KPL

Not sure why the images didn't show, so I just changed them to links, they should work now.

I should mention I used a notched 2x4 on the bow pulpit to support the mast base.  There are two notches on the bottom that fit over the pulpit, and a centered notch for the mast to rest in.  I use bungees to secure it.  In reference to Skip's bungee UV deterioration comment, I replace them each year.

Kevin

MKBLK

Kevin,

For those of us with no imagination... please post a photo of the bow support as well.

Thanks,

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

deisher6

Went through the first 20 or so pages of the C16 section of this bog last night... for general information and entertainment.  There several other designs for the stern support. One from the rudder, one from the motor mount, another from a piece of PVC mounted on the stern, yet another X configuration.  Nothing found so far on the bow pulpit except wrapping the mast in carpet.  Interesting reading and much information.

There was also a recommendation to stow the boom in a PVC pipe mounted to the trailer.

Managed to get the bow eye off without taking out the anchor locker bulkhead out.  It involved using all four of my 1/4 inch socket extensions.  As Skip recommended the broken leg punched out easily.  The other side came out by backing down the nut on the outside of the eye.  3M 5200 is tough stuff. The eye had broken in two places and both were old (rusted) breaks.  Rigged my main sail while on the trailer.  It is torn along the leech.  Hope to repair it with tape to get into the water.  Cannot be to much else to fix?  Call me , 'waiting parts'....

Thank all those who contribute to this fine bog

regards charlie

KPL

MKBLK

Kevin, Thanks! Simple and effective. Even I can build one of these!

Quote from: deisher6 on August 17, 2011, 02:53:16 PM
Went through the first 20 or so pages of the C16 section of this bog last night... for general information and entertainment.

Charlie, It really pains me to hear of all the issues you're having! Can't wait for all to be good and learn that you're in the water enjoying your boat.

Using the forum as a reference manual is very smart. It has helped me quite a bit. Now I'm inspired to delve even deeper to learn more as you have done.

Storing the boom in a PVC pipe is a good idea... I stored my little Sunflower's rigging, spars and sail in 1 lengthened pipe for decades! Amazingly, no sail deterioration. Made car-topping so much easier.

Marty K.

MKBLK

Kevin,

It's been a little while, and hurricane Irene notwithstanding, I got some CP16 projects done. I built the crutch based on the photos you posted. Came out great! I now have about 9 extra inches of extra clearance which is really useful. Instead of wood, I used 1x4 vinyl eave trim. Assembled it with deck screws (plastic coated) and it works very well. I'll never have to paint it and it won't hurt the deck. Thanks for your help.

Marty K.