Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailering

Started by deisher6, August 06, 2011, 09:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deisher6

Any suggestions?

It is 120 miles north to where I plan to sail and I am wondering how most C16 folks with spreaders stow the mast while on the trailer. We just brought the boat up from FL and I removed the running and standing rigging from the mast and boom.  I secured the bottom of the mast to the bowsprit put a cushion on the hatch cover and built a Y shaped support that corralled the tiller and the end of the mast. 

My first C16 did not have spreaders so I just tied everything to the mast.  I also didn't have such a long haul to the water with that one.

I am thinking that I do not want to remove the standing rigging each time that I go sailing.

The folks that pulled the boat out of the water in FL broke one of the spreaders and loaded the boat about 3 feet to far onto the trailer.  I am waiting on new stays and spreaders from Hutchins.

regards charlie

MKBLK

Charlie,

I'm pretty new to CPYOA and the CP16 also. I noticed you've yet to get a response so I thought I'd put my 2 cents in. As far as the spreaders go, you might want to move this post to the HELP thread. That way you're sure to hear from the other guys with the 19 and 23 footers, etc.

I recently trailered my CP16 from Groton, CT to Trenton, NJ about 200 miles. No problems whatsoever. Although my CP16 isn't pristine, it is in very good condition. The spars were simply bungied together and to the boat and that was it. Not the best way as far as protecting the deck! I plan on building a crutch to a. clear the cabin hatch, and b. make it easier for 6'2" me to access the cabin when in port (my driveway!).

Good luck,

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

deisher6

Hey Marty:
Thanks for the response....A re-titled question received several responses.  I am going to rig a crutch so that the mast will clear the cabin when the foot in on the bow pulpit.  the stays will be secured as well as possible to the mast with the spreaders flopping.  Just set the boat back on the trailer this morning.  Hope to rig it tomorrow.

Wonder if you were the winner of the C16 from the Coastguardsman that is an instructor at the USCGA in New London (Brian)?  If so I was your competition, congratulations. It looked like a good boat.

Thanks again for your response.  And good luck with your C16.

regards charlie

MKBLK

Charlie,

Yep! I had been looking for a CP16 for a number of years. Kept missing out. Too far, too much, too bad. Plus I ain't gettin any younger (69 this month). So, I figured I better do it now or forever regret it. Took my chances with Brian and sent him a deposit via PayPal to lock it in. Brian kept the boat in the water which meant he didn't have to trailer it (actually, as you probably know, the slip is directly across the street from his home!). He was getting a bigger boat to accommodate his family better.

The condition of the boat is pretty good (for 30 years). With some TLC and effort she'll shine! Needed a new gooseneck which I got from Dwyer for 20 bucks. Of course I've spent a couple of hundred on safety and related equipment since I wasn't upgrading from another boat. Bought a new mast light which I've yet to install. But, I'm not planning on night sailing, at least not just yet. Finished the bunk boards and installed a new winch since I am a "trailer sailor". Check out my other posts. Soon as I get the hang of it, I'll try to post some pictures.

Sorry to hear that you had so much trouble getting the boat on the trailer. Hope they compensated you for their rough handling.
Look forward to hearing from you when you get her in the water. You say you bought the boat in FL. How far did you have to go?

Happy CP16er,

Marty K.

"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

deisher6

Hey Marty:
Glad to hear that it was you.  Brian was two classes ahead of our daughter at Academy.  I was going to have her come down from Portsmouth and pick up the boat.  We bought an '89 off of eBay.  Picked it up at Port St Lucie, FL which is about 120 miles north of Miami.  We drove down in 3.5 days but took our time and visited on the way back.  Just a little over 5000 miles. It is amazing, I am 61 and I talked with a sailor in NM who was restoring a C16 that was in his late 70's.  A C16 is probably a better choice than a Hobie 18.  (=;

We paid $2700 which is a fair price, but have sunk another $1000 or so into it.  The most expensive was the standing rigging.  I flet better replacing it.  I have been dismasted several times and do not really want to do it again.  The boat was docked in saltwater and 2 2years is 22 years..

Hope to hear that you are in the water soon.

regards charlie

MKBLK

Charlie,

Dismasted! Something I hope to never experience. One thing I've learned on this forum is that the CP's originally had their tabernacles attached through the deck via wood screws to prevent serious damage to the cabin roof. Many owners have substituted bolts & nuts when the screws have worked loose, or worse experienced dismasting (mine included), however, it seems this may be a bad practice. I plan to replace my bolts with screws when I learn how to do it properly and safely. Much has been posted about this on the site.

Regarding your daughter at the Academy... years ago I was involved with our local BSA Sea Scout Unit in Bensalem, PA. My oldest son and youngest daughter were active members of the unit and made a number of voyages to Cape May CG Station. The units "ship" was a 45' packet boat reconfigured into a cruiser. This thing had twin 6 cylinder turbo diesels complete with "battle speed" quadrant! Unfortunately, the boat sunk (no one on board!)... but that's a long, sad story. They were very enthusiastic (Laura, my daughter) was the Bosun's Mate and both were interested in a career in the Coast Guard. Unfortunately, the Iraq War came along and soured them on a military career. My son, Michael, is very excited that I got the Com-Pac and can't wait to crew with me. My youngest son, David 29, has already been out with me and is already looking to be promoted from swabee to captain! Laura will have to wait a bit as she is expecting her first! And, I can't leave out my oldest daughter, Wendy. Wendy was my crew since she was single digits. We shared many an adventure in... of all things - my Sunflower! Well, now you've met the whole family! Except the "Admiral", my wife of 42 years!

Marty K.

skip1930

For trailering I just pull the mast out of the tabernacle on the CP-19 and place the mast 'tween the bow and stern pulpits on 2 x 4's hung on the pulpits with U-bolts and butterfly nuts and happily motor down the road. The only rigging to be disconnected is the pin in the Harken Furler. All other standing rigging remains attached to the boat.

The spreaders are of no concern, the mast is off-set to the side of the centerline of the boat. All 'loose stuff' is tapped to and around the mast with quality 3-M PVC electric tape. This tape goes on nicely and un-wraps cleanly. Holds like steel strap. Also holds the release mechanism down on the trailer hitch in addition to the pin and it's keeper. I won't allow a 'bungie' on my boat as they appear to be prone to UV damage and that leads to failure, and the last thing I don't want to see is that hook embedding in my eye.

skip.

KPL

Just pulled my CP16 last night for a trip to Cranberry Lake http://maps.google.com/maps?q=cranberry+lake,+ny&hl=en&ll=44.164967,-74.813118&spn=0.16476,0.346413&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=46.27475,88.681641&z=12 with my boys.

I've built a 2x4 cradle that sits in the cockpit to hold the end of the mast.  Much like skip, I unbolt from the tablernacle, slide the mast forward onto a 2x4 across the bow pulpit, and rest the mast in the cradle.  I leave the stays attached, only undoing the forestay.  I use a bungee to pull the stays forward.

I'll take some pictures with my phone and post in a bit.

Kevin

deisher6

Kevin: 
I would appreciate pictures, especially the cradle that you put in the cockpit.

I would appreciate flicks of any C16 cockpit cradle.

Skip is right on about using quality electric tape.  I just finished removing the residue of the WalMart brand from my mast and boom.  I had taped the boom and mast together for the tow up from Florida.  That was actually easier to remove than the duc tape!

I am bummed, as I was replacing the bob stay I noticed that one part of the bow eye was broken.  I hope that it is not bedded in 5200.  However it is better finding it now than down the road.

Thanks Again for all the excellent advice.

rwdsr

I know where Cranberry Lake is KPL, was stationed at Fort Drum my last station before retiring from the army.  Have you been out on Lake Ontario with it yet?

BobD
1978 AMF Sunfish, Sold, 1978 CP16 #592, "Sprite" - Catalina 22 "Joyce Marie"http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdsr53/Sailboats#

KPL

Haven't been on Ontario yet.  Next trip will likely be in the Thousand Islands...  I'll have my wife drop me and the boys in Clayton and well take a few days to sail down to Ogdensburg.  Should be a blast.

Kevin

skip1930

" especially the cradle that you put in the cockpit. " sounds like a way to bounce/pound and stress the gel coat creating a spider web crack. Like a woman's high heel. All the bounce and weight on one spot. OUCH! It's always all about spreading out the weight when talking about fiberglass.

Yes the bow eye is bedded in with 3-M 5200 slow set. Grind it out, grind off the eye, pound out with a drift pin the stud or stump and put a new one in. Have to take the bulkhead out that creates the rope anchor pocket out in order to get your body up in there to work. I did it on a 19 when adding a bow sprit to my friends Wind Rover. That was the ONE THING that took the most time. Hours and hours...to R&R.

All the thru-hull mounts sit on UHMW plastic pucks I made. Don't make the 1/4 "bolts so tight 'you squeeze the water out of them.' it's not necessary, and yes they are bedded in with 3-M 5200 slow set.

skip.

KPL " ...so the load is spread out. " OK now. That's what we are talking about. Thumbs up. skip.

Mike H.

Quote from: KPL on August 15, 2011, 08:17:50 AM
Haven't been on Ontario yet.  Next trip will likely be in the Thousand Islands...  I'll have my wife drop me and the boys in Clayton and well take a few days to sail down to Ogdensburg.  Should be a blast.

Kevin

Sorry I don't have any better information on trailering that's already been offered up but just wanted to get Kevin's attention.  We had communicated a year or two(?) ago about possibly getting together to sail (if you recall you now live in my home town... it's a small world). I now keep my CP16 on the St Lawrence River not far from Alexandria Bay. If you would like the company of another CP16 on your Clayton  - Ogdensburg trip let me know, I'd love to tag along.

Mike

KPL

Skip -

I'm not a great artist, but here's the what the cradle looks like.  2x4 construction, about 3 feet between X members.  They are cut at 45, and the spreader pieces (between x's) fit flush to the seats, so the load is spread out.  I also loop the mainsheet over the mast and crutch "ears" and pull tight, so there is no movement.  

The photo is blurry, but you can see how the sheet holds the mast to the cradle:

Photo of Mast cradle on boat

drawing of mast cradle

Cradle base on cockpit seat
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24984627@N08/6048273760/in/photostream

deisher6

Kevin:
Feel free to send the pictures / drawings directly to my edress deisher6@midrivers.com .  They didn't show up on the blog. This winter when it is 0 and the wind is howling, I plan on learning how to post pictures on this site.

Thanks again to all of you for your responses.  This is a great site.

regards charlie