a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Suncat long pin

Started by cavie, April 20, 2011, 07:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavie

I replace the long pin on my mast this week. The new version is solid and much stronger than the hollow one with the pin and ball inside. I sail with the pin in place and use the downhaul spinlock for my lazy jacks. I sailed this weekend in 15 mph wind and the pin is just fine. Much stronger then the old one. Worth the $20.00  (I guess)

capt_nemo

With pin in, and boom in a "fixed" position, how do you adjust tension in the bottom 1/3 of mainsail luff to achieve proper sail shape for a given wind condition without a working downhaul?

I understand that most of the camber built into a typical mainsail is located approximately 1/3 of the way up the luff from the tack and 1/3 of the way along the foot from the tack. In order to change sail shape on our four sided sails we need to be able to adjust the entire luff tension with throat halyard and downhaul, the foot tension with clew outhaul, and upper sail curvature under the gaff with peak halyard.

cavie

Way to technical for me since I only race once a year!  Who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Ray

Quote from: capt_nemo on April 21, 2011, 09:00:57 PM
With pin in, and boom in a "fixed" position, how do you adjust tension in the bottom 1/3 of mainsail luff to achieve proper sail shape for a given wind condition without a working downhaul?

You don't, and since the pinned position is an inch or two above the "natural" height of the boom, you have it set for light air and locked. I had mine in for the Sun Cat Nationals.

You're not supposed to sail with the long pin in place. It is to hold the booms and sail off the deck when at rest or under power, and to hold the gaff boom down when folding the mast to prevent damage to the mast extrusion around the hinge. Still, I sail with the long pin in place a lot, including in pretty strong winds. The sail is a bit more full than it should be, but at least the boom stays up and out of my way! ;)

It is kind of nice to have the boom pinned when reefing, and once the sail is reefed, luff tension can be adjusted with the throat halyard.

If you're not supposed to sail with the long pin in place, why did they make it so darn handy? I wish I could move the whole hinge assembly down an inch, so that the pinned shape could be right in higher winds.

gray

Interesting tactics Tom. Might save me sending the wife to the bow to hold up the boom while I hoist the sails! I did try leaving the pin in for mast raising and then trying to extract it to regain downhaul capabilities, but it was way too tricky. I'm still intrigued by the notion that a boom kicker might be able to do the same job? So far nobody has said they have done it on a Suncat but it sounds intriguing!

Tom Ray

Mine is self-extracting sometimes. A little halyard stretch will ease the tension on it, then a little heeling will make it slip right out.

cavie

now that I think about it, since I started using the boom vang at all times, it keeps enough tention on the pin to keep it in place.. Just snug most of the time. tight on windy days.

Tim22

I finally had both time and wind today to take my new (to me) Suncat out for a test drive. Having read this thread I tried sailing first with the pin in and then with it out. In the light to moderate breeze there seemed to be little difference in performance. Sailing with the pin in does seem to be the easier route and I was left wondering why the block for the throat was set so low. If this were 3 inches higher it would probably be possible to adjust the luff tension using the throat halyard. Am I thinking too much like a sloop sailor?

Also, Is the new improved long pin only available from Hutchins, or is it a standard pin available at west marine?

Thanks

Tim
Cat's Meow

Tom Ray

Tim, the std procedure is to fully raise the throat halyard and adjust luff tension with the downhaul.

Or just leave your long pin in place and accept the fact that the luff will be a bit loose. That's generally what I do. :D

I don't know if you can get the pin from West, but it's just a pin. Most any pin will do. If you find a bigger one that won't fit, make the holes bigger. They are not structurally significant.

kenf1111

Hi,
I replaced my "pin" with a standard stainless steel bolt (the proper length) and and self-locking stainless steel nut. I sail with the pin in place and It seems to be just fine for me. (Im a first year suncat owner and Im learning as I go)(-:

Tim22

Has anyone tried moving the throat halyard block further up the mast? This would allow the pin to be left in and the luff to be tensioned using the throat halyard.

Tim

capt_nemo

Couldn't resist responding to this thread which seems to have a life of its own.

Thanks Tim22. I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to suggest this most obvious solution to help tighten the luff with the long pin in! With a drill and perhaps a rivet tool it is probably a 15 minute job or less. (Longer if you are compelled to tap the new holes for threaded fasteners.) You could even leave the halyard rove through the block in process.

I, on the other hand, much prefer to leave the long pin out (and bungeed securely against mast) when hoisting the Mainsail and use both throat halyard and downhaul to achieve proper (adjustable) luff tension.

Frankly, I just don't understand why there is such a burning desire to leave that darn long pin in place while sailing. If you are experiencing difficulty hoisting the gooseneck up to its normal working position with throat halyard alone (downhaul loose) look for problems elsewhere. And, I don't believe the boom needs to be pinned in place to achieve proper sail shape for sailing in light air.

capt_nemo

Tim22

I don't really have a burning desire to leave the pin in. I'm just thinking that I could use the down hall blocks, clutch etc. for something more useful things  like (not in order of importance) a topping lift, lazy jacks or gaff downhall. I haven't really decided which of these (if any), I want or need, but the downhall just seems like a waste of useful hardware!!

Tim

cavie

Tim, that is EXACTLY why I leave the pin in. I use the block and cleat for my lazy jacks/topping lift. Luff tention is very ajustible using the main haylard. I also use a boom vang. The only other line I added was for the  &(*%$$$ gaft downhaul. I ran a small line down the mast and over to the starboard hand rail and back to small existing  cleat on the cabin top that I don't use for anything. That is one line I will never understand why Compac didn't install. That and lazy jacks are must have equipment on a Suncat as far as I'm concerned. I singlehand everything from the cockpit. Now...about that anchore..............:):)

CaptRon28

The one real advantage (to me at least) is that leaving the long pin in with the boom above it will give you a few inches more head room in the cockpit and companionway. Probably a good idea for those who do not have to fold down the mast everyday.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"