a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

carlyle lake rendezvous 2010 latest info

Started by kickingbug1, January 06, 2010, 05:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

CARLYLE LAKE RENDEZVOUS 2010   WHERE---CARLYLE LAKE, CARLYLE, ILL.   When--July 9th through the 13th (friday through tuesday)    LODGING--Microtel Inn and Suites 1 resort drive Carlyle 877-451-7666    Super 8 Motel 1571 William Carlyle (618)594-8888-----these two have very nice accomodations and room to park boat trailers. other choices Motel Carlyle 570 12th Carlyle (618)594-8100   Sunset Motel 1631 Franklin Carlyle.  "Meet and Greet location--the Bretz Wildlife Lodge and Winery  rt 127 Carlyle (618)594-8830.  group breakfast at the Lighthouse grill (next to the Nicrotel) 9:00 am saturday morning (th 10th)  Boat Access Ramp--Allens Branch ramp-Eldon Hazlett State Park.    THE PLAN---basically it will be 5 days of sailing, swimming, sun and fun on lake carlyle, one of the best sailing venues you'll find. lunch each day will be on the boats rafted up or beached in a nearby cove. a day of racing arround the "cans", a loose circumnavigation of the lake. at least one group bbq and dinner out. everything needed is located in a small area close to the lake and lodging. those wishing to camp aboard will find the cove at allens branch to be an excellent choice another further north is also good. if one or more participants are able to secure lodging at one of the lakefront cabins the bbq could be held there.   DIRECTIONS---All directions will originate at the intersection of Interstate 70 (exit 45 Greenville and Carlyle)and Illinois 127. Go south on Ill 127 17miles to Carlyle Lake rd (4 way light)(large Walmart on the right) turn left on Carlyle lake rd. and go 1/2 mile to resort drive the Microtel and Lighthouse grill are on you left---the Super 8 is located on the West side of Illinois 127 off Carlyle Lake rd. the Bretz Wildlife Lodge is located a couple of miles north of Carlyle Lake rd on 127 (you will pass it as you come in). the boat access ramp is approximately 4 miles north of Carlyle Lake rd in the Eldon Hazlett State park. you turn right on Hazlett Rd (the sign says Eldon Hazlett State park and sailboat marina. go East on Hazlett Rd 8/10s of a mile to a stop sign. turn left and continue East 1.4 miles to the park entrance. at the park sign turn left and go 1/2 mile to the boat ramp (on  your left)------i will post more information later----please contact me Steve Bender at www.rocobine1@yahoo.com   many things cannot be finalized until we get an approximate number of participants.  thanks so much
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Bob23

Very thorough, Steve.
   One question: Is the possesion of a Compac Sailboat a prerequisite for attendance at the CLR 2010? I'm having second thoughts about trailering that far. You know, minor things like gas, transmission, etc. Can I bring my Alden Ocean Shell? True, hard to live aboard.
Bob23

kickingbug1

buddy if you want you can bring a windsurfer. and im sure you can catch a ride----probably with my buddy from springfield who has a 16 and sails solo
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Salty19

Rock and Roll!  I'll definitely be there.  Adding Good Karma points to you for setting up the event!!!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Salty19

I'm curious if anyone has formally invited Les, Gerry and Rich Hutchins to the event?   As a second question, if they go who will host them on their boat?  I can host them for a day or half day..I'm sure if they go everyone will want them to join you onboard for at least a portion of the day.

Also curious to see if someone (Bob??) wants to co-write an article with me on the event to publish in Small Craft Advisor?  That would be really amazing to see our fine crafts in a magzine and would further promote the Hutchins line of boats (which seem under represented in this magazine). This would be especially true if the Hutchins came out for the event!

There was a really nice CP16 on the cover of the last issue and there was mention of one in a race.   Henry C published a CP19 article two issues ago.  I feel they will look at and consider an artcile about such an event.  Since we'll have darn close to the full fleet of older Compacs (and who knows maybe a suncat or an Eclipse will be there too!) there it's a fantastic opportunity to do this.  I'm sure the Hutchins would want to see their brand enjoy more readership time as well. 

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

kickingbug1

i sent gerry an e mail inviting any family members or staff to come. i havent received a reply as yet. i think maybe a few others  (im gonna volunteer you mike) could contact them too. it sure would be great if at least one of the clan could attend. in regards to the story im sure we could provide quite of few great photos for both the story and our web site.  this could be a big deal.

sailen69

Ahoy to all!  Count on one more CP-16 to join in at Lake Carlyle.

Steve, I will get off work early if I can't get the whole day off on Friday and head up to Carlyle.  It is about 1 ½ hr drive for me.  Did you have a time in mind for meet n greet on Friday or TBA?  Thanks for getting things lined up.  Thanks Doug for getting a shirt and mug set up.  My shirt is on the way.  I am looking forward to good sailing with everyone.
Rich

Greene

Sailen69 - that is great!  This is turning into quite a gathering.

Kickingbug - If you need help with anything just let us know.  We are more than happy to assist you in organizing, setting up, etc..   I think we are going to need a separate thread to get a head count.  (We promise not to hijack that one like the CLR Shirt thread.)  I'll send an invitation e-mail to Hutchins tonight.  Do you have a rough idea how many Com-Pac boats are already committed?

Thanks again for all your work on this.

Sunny and 40 degrees in Madison, WI today.  Darn ice!
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

kickingbug1

thanks for the offer of help----its a little early yet but i might call on you soon. i have been doing a little investigating and i think the winery (they do have food and beer by the way) that is right on ill 127 is the best location for the meet and greet. they have room in their parking lot where the bars uptown really dont (although once we are settled a couple of those might be fun at night. i guess we can talk about getting a head count. i know doug,mike, rich and john are coming for sure with quite a few probables. i would say we could finalize things by the end of feb first part of march. anyone with a 19 can sure count on help with rigging and launching. pretty much goes for everyone. when we get close i will ask those attending to call me direct. at this point we are pretty much open to suggestions for activities, so your input is valued a lot. please call or contact me here or e-mail rocobine1@yahoo.

rwdsr

Something happened there I posted a note saying I was planning to attend and it disappeared.  Anyway, I plan to take Friday and Monday off and come up.  It's about a 4 1/2 hour drive for me and all good highway.

BobD & the 16 "Joyce Marie"
1978 AMF Sunfish, Sold, 1978 CP16 #592, "Sprite" - Catalina 22 "Joyce Marie"http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdsr53/Sailboats#

DOUG142

Hi BobD and the 16,
Welcome aboard and hope to see ya at the 2010 Rendezvous!  Where are you coming in from?
Doug142
Summer Escape, CP-16
CP-16 SUMMER ESCAPE, YEAR 1983(SOLD), 1975 SCORPION (fOR sALE), 1983 COM-PAC 19 SWEET DREAMS
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/DOUGN6885/SWEET%20DREAMS%20%20COMPAC%2019/

kickingbug1

THIS IS SHAPING UP TO BEING SOME EVENT. TO DOUG AND MIKE, COULDNT HAVE GOTTEN THIS FAR WITHOUT YOU GUYS. TO ALL THOSE PLANNING TO ATTEND. ANY SUGGESTIONS THAT YOU CAN PASS ON THAT CAN MAKE YOUR TRIP MEMORABLE JUST ASK ILL DO ALL I CAN    E MAIL www,rocobine1@yahoo. additional thanks to the greenes who have generously offered their cabin area for our bbq and party area. i can provide lawn chairs---a grill---washer and bean bag games --cards party lights whatever     thanks    steve

kickingbug1

carlyle rendezvous 2010----i have a question of everyone who is going to attend the rendezvous. i had an idea that we might have a little impromtu race on saturday. i would set up a three buoy race course, with a windward mark being first, the second would be a reach and the last would be a run. i have never done this before and i am wondering if it could be done without a commitee boat. if not i can pull down sails and anchor near the starting buoy and set off an airhorn when everyone is pretty well lined up. i want this to be as simple as -possible.  any thoughts?

rwdsr

I won't be racing, I haven't even sailed anything like this 16 before.  I was out about 6 times last year on my 16 foot MFG Sidewinder, that and 30 years ago I played with a Sunfish a few times.  That's the extent of my sailing experience.  I may (Hope, hope) get her out Saturday for the first time.  It's supposed to be 63 degrees with a 15 - 18 mph wind on Kentucky Lake.  Wish me luck.  Doug - I'm coming up from the Ft Campbell, KY area, I live in Woodlawn, TN about 2 1/2 miles out the back gate.  It's about a 4 1/2 hour drive for me up there, that's doable.  Hey how do you guys set that little signature block up at the bottom of these posts?
1978 AMF Sunfish, Sold, 1978 CP16 #592, "Sprite" - Catalina 22 "Joyce Marie"http://picasaweb.google.com/rwdsr53/Sailboats#

Greene

We're with you on the racing.  We are novices as well and we would just be a speed bump on the race course.  I think the idea is for us to start the course behind the pack and just enjoy trying to figure out how to get the boat around the marks without rubbing fiberglass with anybody.  A race to us is getting back to the dock before the sun sets!

I'm sure that "race" in this case is just for fun and nobody will really be taking it too seriously.  (Maybe we can fire up the iron gennys when they get ahead of us and catch up without them knowing it.)

If you want to add the line at the bottom of your posts, click on the "Profile" at the top of the page, and go to the "Signature" box in your profile.  Anything you type in there will show up on your posts.  I just added my sailboats to my profile.

Mike and Brenda
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com