a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

carlyle lake rendezvous 2010

Started by kickingbug1, December 09, 2009, 09:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Weis

The big tri's are usually just folded up and trailered. My neighbor does this to his tri and heads to Miami for the winter.

Honestly the drive would not be that bad. Basically straight south [Hoo Haa!!] and maybe my McClain County banker friend Mary Pat McGinnis, in Clinton, Illinois who grew up on a farm in Wapella, Illinois could sail with us. But since one needs cash to travel and time off from work [if one had work to get time off from] the chance of sailing Comfort & Joy on this trip are slim to none. Buck Ofama.

skip.

kickingbug1

as soon as i get rid of my company (3 year old) ill do some investigating but i know of two boat hoists on the lake and there may be slips available. i will include this in my next post----end of the week i think
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Salty19

The marina within walking distance from the Microtel looks to be well-equipped and well run.  I saw some rather large craft there 2 years ago.  If I recall correctly, the marina operator stopped by to say hello at the launch ramp (he was fond of Compacs). Nice guy.

There are also cabins with docks on their banks to avoid having to tear the boat down each night.

Bob-that is one heck of a drive.  It's about 7 hours for me (driving speed limit , stopping every hour to check wheel/tires/trailer) from Central Ohio.  You are looking at 15 or 16 hours of driving from S. NJ as a rough estimate.  With that said, if you do come you're welcome to stay at my house on the way out (it's about 1/2 the distance and about 20 minutes off I-70). 

Doug- Best of luck on the new home!  I totally understand how a new home can be a money pit.   Hang on to your 16 and grab a 19 when the time is right.   Honestly if I still trailer sailed though I wouldn't have sold the 16.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

kickingbug1

bob, if you come all that way you deserve a medal or something. but if you do i will do my best to take care of anything you need.  i hope this will be a nice get together. some great people attended two years ago and made it very memorable. this year it will be even better.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

kickingbug1

weather permitting i take a drive arround the area talk to the appropriate people and get the info needed---and post it here

Bob23

We'll see what this summer brings. I'd love to do the trip but work here in the construction business isn't too good. I'll keep an eye on this thread. This would be the first long trip with the boat. Usually it's about 10 miles to the marina, in the water she goes. sail the summer away and back to the marina in the fall,out and another  10 miles home. It would be exciting to sail in new waters.
Doug: Seriously, I'm thrilled that you have 4 1/2 garages. Really. I'm quite fortunate that I don't readily become jealous of someones elses fortunes, possession, etc. Good for you. Don't worry about me- I'll get by working in the blizzardy conditions of my NJ driveway.
   I also have an AMF Force 5 I bought last winter. Spent some time fixing, cleaning, and learning to rig it. I had a blast with it this past summer. After bottom painting it, I kept at a free mooring in eyesight of "Koinonia". I don't think she felt threatened and certainly did'nt act jealous. It's a cool little boat. Great boat to learn on and much more stable than a Laser. I always wanted to own a Porsche and this is the closest I'll get.
Bob23..content

kickingbug1

bob, sure hope you can make it, figure a 23 you would stay aboard. i know we could get her in without a hoist and once in there are two good coves nearby (one where the best ramps are and one further north) and i have a canoe if that helps. between the rest of the fleet im sure we can keep her provisioned. hope business picks up and be careful on the roads. and of course a happy new year to all

Bob23

This "Trip to Carlyle" is tempting. When I had my Seapearl 21, I didn't take advantage of it's super trailerability. Maybe now's the time to take the 23 on a road trip. In any event, a wonderful, happy and (hopefully) prospersous new year to all you fellow Compac-ers out there in cyberville.
Bob23

Salty19

I can see it now..Bob23, CCF Commodore (Carlyle Compac Fleet).  Would that make Koinonia the flagship?
I think it would...she would be so proud to hold such a title.

Bob I was serious about staying at my place on the way out or home or both.  We have plenty of room, no kids, and a "guest suite" in the basement (kitchen, queen bed, full bath, decorated in Tropical theme) for such occasions.Will be leaving for IL that Friday morning bright and early (probably late for you..early for me is 8:00.

kicknbug and Doug...Do you want to try to get Hutchins to send some hats/coffee cups/etc again?  Or better yet invite them up since they used Carlyle Lake as initial proving grounds on early Compac designs?  After the last event, I had emailed Les Hutchins (actually come to think of I don't recall if it was Les or Gerry or Rich?) to thank him for the door prizes and he seemed happy to do it and excited that the event was at Carlyle. Les is originally from St. Louis and quite familiar with Carlyle.

Either way, I'll be there with Becky in a CP19XL and possibly my brother in my old CP16/I will go as well.

kickingbug1

we might have a larger flagship is a guy from st louis who keeps a 27 at carlyle shows up for the festivities. i think doug contacted hutchins before but i can drop them a line if you want. weather permitting i think i will do some running arround tommorrow. the bars should be open early getting ready for new years eve. if you think its necessary to inspect the two closest motels where doug and you guys stayed i will.  anyway ill post everything i have on saturday. im pretty stoked this thing is taking off. if we can just get the hutchins people to attend . talk about a photo op ---a fleet of com-pacs ---what could be sweeter. my e mail is www,rocobine1@yahoo.com for whoever has questions or input.

DOUG142

Okay, Steve contact Com-pac and see whatnthey want to do.   Can I design a T-shirt for the event again?  "Need input for theme.
I have some ideas like John Walker No. 12 or whatever.   why not Com-pac Carlyle Lake No.2 Rendezvous 2010 and pic of sailboat.
Help.
Shirts run on the small side so if you order, order on the big side.  See ya there/   we are ready fer this/  been a rough year and need release.\
Will post website where shirts can be had.......gotta love this englisgh thing.
Doug
CP-16 SUMMER ESCAPE, YEAR 1983(SOLD), 1975 SCORPION (fOR sALE), 1983 COM-PAC 19 SWEET DREAMS
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/DOUGN6885/SWEET%20DREAMS%20%20COMPAC%2019/

Bob23

Salty:
   "Tropical Theme"..this is so hard to resist! I'll have to see how the first half of the year goes. I'd love to be there. If so, maybe a few of us can get together to write a piece for "Small Craft Advisor". This is just the sort of event they like to see covered.
Bob23...saying goodbye to 2009

Salty19

Quote from: kickingbug1 on December 30, 2009, 04:17:54 PM
      if you think its necessary to inspect the two closest motels where doug and you guys stayed i will. 

Nah, I don't think that's necessary at least for the Microtel.  It was clean, the rooms were big, seemed well taken care of and really no problems to speak of (they also allow boat parking in the grass).

The Super8 looked fairly new too...

kickingbug1

think i will wait until this weekend to check out the bars and talk to someone about a pavillion for a bbq then i will post something next week ----so be patient with me everyone if you would. and a happy new year to all

kickingbug1

i'm sorry to say that due to unforeseen family issues that i will have to change the dates for our carlyle lake rendezvous 2010. the new dates are july 9th, 10th,11th, 12th and 13th. this will be friday thru the following tuesday. complete information will be posted tommorrow (a few more calls to make). additional info will be posted by salty 19. i am sorry if this inconviences anyone but it really could not be helped. consider these dates "chiseled in stone". sure hope you can all attend. we will do our darndest to insure a great time.