a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

The continuing adventures of Koinonia

Started by Bob23, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Only ok. I realize it's called roller furling and not roller reefing. Normally I'd just have the main up and single reefed but I wanted a bit of extra horsepower and to balance the boat a bit more. When I had the sails made, Dave at Eggers Sailmakers suggested a foam luff pad. Seems to help the 130 maintain better shape when it's not out all the way.
   I'd have been way overpowered if the 130 was all the way out. Trust me.
Bob23

Tim Gardner

Hi Bob!

I noticed on your recent photo the interesting "lace-Up" sail slides on the reefing section of your main.  I think I understand how it works, but one of your fine Capt Bob23 "why I thunk-it" dissertations on the subject seems to me to be the appropriate next step in this continuing thread.

Thanks in advance for your detailed, considered reply.  tg
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

Tim:
   My original sails had that detail and I requested it on the new sails. My sailmaker had a name for it...of course I don't remember what it was called.
   Behind the white piece of duct tape on the mast is a sail stop which always stays in it's place. When reefing the main, those glides stop on the sail stop (duh) instead of sliding out of the slot in the mast. As the sail comes down, the lacing loosens and allows the sail to flake down on the mast while the glides stack up on the sail stop. Does any of this make sense? All I know is it works great.
   I guess it would be pretty easy to retrofit those lines onto an existing sail.
   Hope this helps,
bob23

jthatcher

hey bob - i take it that koinonia is still in the water?    we may be making a trip down this saturday to  cover adagio and get her ready for winter..  any chance of getting together for some time on the water?   let me know what you think..  jt

Bob23

JT:
   I think it's great idea but Saturday is my son's wedding. Maybe I can get him to change it but don't hold your breath! Sunday I'm taking my daugher out, who is flying up from sunny, funny Punta Gorda, Florida for the wedding.
   Saturday morning looks like a potential-client meeting. I'm sure if we keep at it, we'll get together for a sail.
   I was out on Sunday with an old friend...wind started out light and then piped up. A thoroughly pleasant day on the Bay!
bob23

jthatcher

hey Bob,   we are going to try to get out of here by 6:30 or so tomorrow (sat) morning.  that would put us in  toms river around 9:45..    i will give you a call at some point just to see if that is a good hour for you for breakfast..  looks like some good weather this weekend.   i wish that we could stick around to go out on Koinonia, but we need to get back for our drama production tomorrow night..    jt

Bob23

Ok...we'll talk.
In other news: KOINONIA BREAKS SPEED RECORD!
    My son and I went out yesterday morning. When we arrived at the marina, there was no wind so we debated but gambled on the weather guys being right. They were.
    As soon as we got out into the bay, the wind piped up nicely out of the NNE. We gab alot while we're together and soon noticed the boat heeling due to more winds so a first reef was tied in. We continued tacking North, winds continued to build with accompanying waves so I took in some of the 130 genny.
   Winds still building and waves now about 3 to 4 feet (remember this is a small bay) so we were now having fun! I now took in the genny and we sailed under single reefed main alone and the boat leveled out nicely. Planning on only to be out a few hours, we now decided to head for the barn and turned her to the SSW. At this point, we were surfing down the waves and sailing with the main swung out to the port side. I got to try out my new improvised boom preventer and it worked great.
   Keeping an eye on the GPS, we were consistently hitting speeds in the high 6's and we eventually reached our goal of 7 knots. Fun but a bit white knuckle as we went into the marina under mainsail and Nissan.
   I was so glad we went out together...it was the first time out sailing for him this year...although he did get out on his Sunfish alot before Irene visited.
  That was probably Koinonia's last sail this year unless I get my work done early today. In any avent, Tomorrow, I'll take her sails down and begin the 2011 decommisioning ceremonies. It's been another great season of sailing but the last sail is always a somber one and I never look forward to a winter being land-locked.
Bob23

LConrad

Seven knots! That's pretty cool. Delightful has seen 7 mph, but not 7 knots. Maybe we should start a speed record thread next year and describe the conditions. Sadly, Delightful left the water for her trailer today. Pleasant dreams of sailing 'till next year.

Bob23

I know what you mean. Today I removed the sails, all lines and electronics in anticipation of a fall haul-out this week. I usually go through some minor depression when the boat has to come out. But there's always fall rowing!!!!! And time to start making up my winter to-do list. Before we know it, spring will be here!
Bob23

Tim Gardner

Bob,

My heartfelt display of sadness at the ending of your sailing season is not visible to you - Good thing because of the outright glee it's showing because I sail all year round here in VA.  It is cold sometimes but I'm still out there, as I was yesterday.  If you need a fix, come on down, or pop in the CD of the Carlyle Voo.

Chuckling, TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

brackish

What is this fall/winter haulout thing?:)

Watching the wind conditions this week.  May be just right for a full moon, fall overnight cruise on Bay Springs Lake with the foliage prime.

jthatcher

"What is this fall/winter haulout thing?"   "...  Good thing because of the outright glee it's showing because I sail all year round here in VA..."
wow - these guys are downright insensitive!  :)

sorry to have missed you on Sat. Bob.   we put the cover on Adagio, and I brought the motor home, along with the rudder and tiller which need some work over the winter season.   we had a nice breakfast at Shut up and Eat,  and we even had time to stop at ocean grove for a walk on the boardwalk up to convention hall at the north end of asbury park.    it is always nostalgic to spend time in ocean grove, even if just for an hour.. 

so time for rowing..  are you familiar with  Firefly, a rowing design by ken basset?   http://www.tsca.net/LostCoast/BuildingFirefly.html
i bought the plans years ago, and every once in a while i pull them out -  maybe after i get the house finished, i will be able to turn those plans into reality.  of course, i am not sure that i really need another boat, but you know how that is!     good luck with hauling Koinonia..  keep in touch.  jt

Bob23

The FireFly reminds me of my CLC Annapolis Wherry. Although CLC says it was designed to be sliding seat rowed, I found that the hull shape kinda fought me with the power available with a sliding seat. I more enjoyed rowing fix seat with 6'6" Spruce spoon blade oars.
   The Firefly looks to be a bit faster. The Annapolis Wherry was kind of a blend between a shell and a Whitehall. It was not great in any kind of rough water but it sure was a looker!

I now row an old Alden Ocean Shell with an Oarmaster 1. I can maintain almost 5 knts on a long row.
bob23

jthatcher

hi bob,  that is a nice looking boat!   too many projects going on right now, but one of these days I am going to break out those plans for firefly and build her.   so, we got to meet marty this past weekend..  lots of good chat - mostly sailing, but some volvo stuff as well..     he certainly seems gung ho about getting together for an overnight around berkley island..  that might be a good first overnight adventure for us as well..  let's try to make it happen next summer!     we are also looking forward to visiting the folks at SUAE  at their new location in toms river..     i am looking forward to  a steady supply of your insightful comments throughout the winter..   take care, jt

Salty19

7 knots you say? Reefed?  Fantastic!  Who said an old girl can't dance?

Ahhh...sailing year round.  Sounds great...us yankees will have to slide on hull skates and outriggers to come close.  But...brrr!!!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603