a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Single Burner Stove

Started by NateD, August 30, 2009, 10:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NateD

I'm looking for a single burner stove to heat some water and do a little cooking while at anchor. I'm not ready to invest in a nice gimbaled one, just looking for something safe and cheap to get by for a while. Over at sailFar there were a few people who liked butane stoves like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Push-Button-Butane-Camping-Emergencies/dp/B000RA8V1S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1251685420&sr=8-1

After reading all kinds of posts on a number of different boat messageboards I'm confused and concerned. It seems there is a lot of concern with propane due to the cylinders leaking, but it seems to be the preferred fuel if you have a larger boat with a locker and safety valves. Alcohol/kerosene/diesel/gasoline stoves look finicky and difficult to fill. All of these issues are making the butane stove look appealing.

What are others using on you com-pacs? Is butane safer than propane? Do I still need to find a way to store the butane above deck?

fafnir

Hi Nate,

I have had good luck with the butane stove that you posted s link to and would recommend it.  They are cheap, easy to use.  Sometimes it can be hard to find the cylinders though.  My favorite stove for cooking on the sailboat though is one of the Jetboi cooking systems.  Someday I would like to make a gimble system for it.

Bob23

Nate:
   I don't know your boat but I'm using the factory 2 burner Origo alchohol stove that came with my 23. Works great, not really any problem filling it and it heats a pot of water in 8 minutes.
   They are not cheap if you have to buy a new one though.
   I'm sure that the folks here are using all kinds of stoves. I think Practical Sailor did a review on different stoves a while back; might be a good resource. If I can dig up the old copies, I'll repost here.
Bob23

Steve Ullrich

Pretty cool little stove. Thanks for the link.  I see they also sell one with a case and a folding fry pan for a little bit more... I might put one on my Christmas list.

Quote from: NateD on August 30, 2009, 10:32:23 PM
I'm looking for a single burner stove to heat some water and do a little cooking while at anchor. I'm not ready to invest in a nice gimbaled one, just looking for something safe and cheap to get by for a while. Over at sailFar there were a few people who liked butane stoves like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Push-Button-Butane-Camping-Emergencies/dp/B000RA8V1S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1251685420&sr=8-1

After reading all kinds of posts on a number of different boat messageboards I'm confused and concerned. It seems there is a lot of concern with propane due to the cylinders leaking, but it seems to be the preferred fuel if you have a larger boat with a locker and safety valves. Alcohol/kerosene/diesel/gasoline stoves look finicky and difficult to fill. All of these issues are making the butane stove look appealing.

What are others using on you com-pacs? Is butane safer than propane? Do I still need to find a way to store the butane above deck?
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Bob Condon

I have two of the butane stoves on my Cape Dory.

Reasons:
1. I do not like the stock alcohol stove.
2. They work very well, are easy to use
3. I can cook OUTSIDE so if you are cooking stinky stuff (Bacon, fish etc)
then you don't have to have the smell in the boat
4. You can take them home and use as warmers for parties etc...
5. They pack very small, fuel is accessible from Target.

The only bad thing I have found, is that I had stored 4 cans in external lockers.
I put them in, in the spring and when I was pulling the boat for the winter, found that the
four cans were empty and the cans were rusted from the salt air.
Bob Condon
C19 Hull 226

brackish

Anyone have other sources for the butane cans that fit the glomate and other stoves in that class.  Someone mentioned Target, I stopped at several in Alabama on a recent trip none there.  No Korean food stores in town, no food or restaurant wholesalers that sell chafing dish components. 

I know I can buy them online, however a dozen at a time with high shipping.  Kind of wanted to try a few first see if I like this stove or if I want to change to something else.

I live in a small town, however, going through Birmingham, AL in a couple of weeks, also Montgomery, Dothan and Panama City, Fl.

Frank

Craig Weis

Here is my stove on Comfort & Joy. Can heat the cabin as well with some air coming in. Picked it up in Manitowoc, WI at the Kitchen Store as a single burner bottled gas self contained unit. Works great, stores  even better and is smaller and lighter then a Coleman unit. Ignites with the first snap of the crystal. Stores in a plastic carriy case.
The Yacht Club uses about six on 'Pasta Night'. YUMMO!! to quote Rachel Ray on the Food Net Work.

skip.

NateD

Skip,

That's exactly like the one I picked up. Used last week on the boat and on the shore and it worked great. I had a hard time finding the right size butane cans for it around here (except at West Marine who wanted $6/can). But I was able to buy a 12 pack of cans for $26 shipped off Amazon.com.

Nate

Steve Ullrich

Nate - How long did a can of butane last for you?

Quote from: NateD on September 27, 2009, 02:51:50 PM
Skip,

That's exactly like the one I picked up. Used last week on the boat and on the shore and it worked great. I had a hard time finding the right size butane cans for it around here (except at West Marine who wanted $6/can). But I was able to buy a 12 pack of cans for $26 shipped off Amazon.com.

Nate
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

NateD

They say 90 minutes, but I haven't put that to the test yet. I was able to boil enough water for 2 cups of coffee in 4.5 minutes in my kitchen. I would guess in real world conditions with the wind blowing it might take something more like 8 minutes, so one can of butane should last about 30 cups of coffee.

Craig Weis

Using this stove I heated up a ton of spaghetti, cooked some burgers [I don't eat fish] made scrambled egg sandwitches and made hot chocolate, still on my second bottle after three years. Have two spares on board not tapped yet. skip.

BobK

I use the same stove also.  The butane can be purchased at restaurant supply stores.

crazycarl

We have a similar stove.  I've been purchasing canisters from Bass Pro Shops until our local Ace Hardware displayed their own brand at a much cheaper price.  I talked to the manager and bought a case of 24 for $30. 

I'm not one for messy cooking on a boat, so, we precook hamburgers, brats, spaghetti...and vacuum seal them.  When it's time to eat, boil a pot of water and place the sealed items in the pot for a couple of minutes and you have a good meal with minimal mess!  The brats and burgers taste as if they just left the grill.  MMMmmmm brats....
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

brackish

I have the same stove, and used it for the first time on a cruise early summer.  For me a can lasted through three full pots of perked coffee, around 10-12 minutes each on high and one pasta dish also about 10-12 minutes.  So about 45 minutes.  I also bought my fuel, a dozen can box,  on Amazon. 

jpfx

I bought a brass adapter from a US store which allows you to refill the cans from a larger keg.