a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Single Burner Stove

Started by NateD, August 30, 2009, 10:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curtisv

I have the kenyon stove that came with my CP23.  Never used.  Anyone want it?

[I have a barbeque grill on the stern rail now and that work great.  Keep it in the v-berth when not in use.  Propane is just kept in the cockpit for now - should fix that.]

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

BruceW

I have a new Gas One; got the canisters from the Asian market for a buck apiece.

Next question: do you really take the canisters out and store them elsewhere? If so, how do you do it? Bring it home each time?

Thanks in advance.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

brackish

Quote from: BruceW on June 06, 2014, 06:12:53 PM
I have a new Gas One; got the canisters from the Asian market for a buck apiece.

Next question: do you really take the canisters out and store them elsewhere? If so, how do you do it? Bring it home each time?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I do.  I pull the can from the stove, mark the approximate burn time remaining, then take it home and put it in the back shed.  I use the partial cans for the second Gas One stove I keep near the grill to heat up sauces, veggies, and anything that needs heating for outside cooking. Run them dry that way then put them in the metal recycle bin.

Billy

Brack,
Ace is the place......for me!

I can buy single cans there. But I usually buy two or three at a time.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

BruceW

Thanks, Brackish,

I only have the one, but I do see how I can do this; for now, I'll bring the canister back, will take a spare with me for when it runs out. I'll just have to remember, haha. I added it to my leave the boat checklist.

Billy, good tip on Ace, too; it's a bit more convenient than the asian market when I run out; I bought 6 cans though.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Tom L.

Butane gas is heavier than air. It should be stored in a compartment that is above the water line and vents overboard. I keep the cans in my boat Sun Cat next to the Outboard gas can which resides in an area that vents overboard.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

sharkwatcher

Quote from: curtisv on September 26, 2010, 07:50:58 PM
I have the kenyon stove that came with my CP23.  Never used.  Anyone want it?

[I have a barbeque grill on the stern rail now and that work great.  Keep it in the v-berth when not in use.  Propane is just kept in the cockpit for now - should fix that.]

Curtis

Are you still looking for a home for the Kenyon stove? if so, I'll take it.

captrank

I have one of these stoves on Windrover. They are great. I bought two of them and a dozen fuel cans at Target several years ago. Target no longer sells these in our area but Wal-Mart does. The stove and cannisters can be had there. Always remember that anything marked Marine will be far more expensive than the same or similar item marked camping. Check the camping section of Wal-Mart for the stove.

Steve

Tim Gardner

I'm thinking of getting one of these for my Camp cruising adventures aboard my 19.

I'd like comments pro or con.  What do Y'all think?

Details Here:

http://www.biolitestove.com/products/biolite-bundle
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

hoddinr

That's a whole lot more than just a single burner stove, Tim!

Would you use it aboard though?  Looks like you'd have to go ashore to gather fuel, unless you brought some with you, and then you might as well cook ashore.
Interesting concept of using biomass to charge your phone.  Could really help out in out of the way places.

I'm interested in a very small grill that I can use aboard.  I don't want to stow a large grill aboard my SunCat, Nomad.  Just one say... the size of the one in the video, or 9 X 10 inches.

Let us know how you like it!

Ron

Tim Gardner

I was thinking of devising a clamp on rail mount for it similar to my Versa-brella mounts:

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

crazycarl

Look at that price tag, OUCH!

You'd have to do a lot of backwoods cooking to get your money's worth.

I do like the concept. 

This would be perfect for my daughter who hikes and camps the Colorado wilderness.

CC
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Tom L.

I have used them all but for smaller boats the butane stove is the most common. The canisters should be stored in an outside locker that vents overboard. These stoves are very hot so one canister can last a good while. I have one on my Sun Cat to mostly warm stuff up and I never open the valve wide open. Often it is set at it's lowest point. These stoves are very inexpensive as is the fuel. My local WalMart has the stove and fuel canisters.

I have used a pressurized alcohol stove which I really hated and an Origo which I really liked. The Origo canisters are easy to fill and heat up amazingly fast. The only problem is the stove is too expensive.

On our larger boat we had Propane with tanks mounted in lockers that vented overboard and had a solenoid valve and propane sniffers. We cruised on this boat for a few years. Way overkill for a pocket cruiser.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

ChuckO

The butane stoves have served me well over the years ... Local Sam's Club sells refills .. 4 for under $6.00.  And yes .. they will rust easily if kept on-board.

When not on an extended or overnight 'voyage' I store the spare tanks in my "Cook Box" which I no longer store on the boat.

The stove itself at Sam's Club is over $25. ... a little pricey compared to Amazon.com or other.  Should you want a little nicer stove; a stainless steel model is available if you look around a bit. 

ChuckO'
CP16-2 Carpe Diem
Charleston, SC

FireDrill

I have the same butane stove as many cite here (mine is a Kenyon from West Marine - many years ago - WM does not carry it any more)  and  will use it this year for the first time inside on my Suncat for the non-smelly stuff, outside on bridge deck for other (smelly cooking) as others suggest - Used it for years on a Freedom 21 in same fashion. Agree with others who have posted that it is a very useful stove!   

Had not used it on my relatively new Suncat yet because I could not find fuel (except in large quantities on line)... However I recently discovered Gander Mountain (an outdoors-store chain) sells Coleman branded single bottles of the fuel at $3.49 each. (apparently a new product for Coleman)  If you only cook a few times a year, one or two cans is plenty... On my Freedom I'd go through one can and part of a second  for a one week cruise using it once a day for dinner and to make coffee many mornings. I find the non painted surfaces on the cans rust (but still work - no apparent leaks - yet how do you know for sure when you see rust) after a while (year or two in a Northern garage- no salt air).   Hence a small, easily replenished quantity is a good/safe approach. I am guessing any Coleman dealer can now get this product...       
Don Lehmbeck,
2012 SunCat named "CatEase"
Belief: "A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble".. E.B. White..
Retired Engineer and Adjunct Faculty ,
35 years sailing small cruisers in Upstate NY and nearby Canada