Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Honda 2HP

Started by wetland, July 07, 2009, 09:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wetland

Hello;

Can anyone who owns this motor tell me the approach they use to check the oil level.
I have a difficult time assessing the oil level via the small window on the side of the motor.
What is the trick to performing this function?

Thanks,
Tom M

Steve Ullrich

Also...  I'd like to know if those of you with Honda 2hp kickers like your engine?  Is this enough power?
Steve Ullrich, Savage, MN
1988 Com-Pac 16/III - Teacher's Pet

Deb

Howdy Y'all, I've got a 2006  2 HP Honda and it works just fine.  I've had it a year and it's been a big help at times, even trolling to fish.  Assessing the oil level is easier with the right light.  Use a flashlight and keep the window clean.  Add more oil if in doubt. I did all the tune up myself and it wasn't hard at all, following the manual which I downloaded off the net. Once I couldn't start it and alas the oil was low.  After filling there was no further problem.  I have noticed a gas leak when I lay her down (properly) in the back of my truck on a piece of old egg crate mattress to go somewhere as I don't want the weight on the mount. I will take her in somewhere to have this checked at some time.  I do wish I had an electric start as I always seem to get bit by the pull cord.  But that's my fault.  I do wish it had a reverse, have had a couple scary moments.  All in all she's all I need and seems to be enough kick.   Deb

Rick Klages

Quote from: Steve Ullrich on July 07, 2009, 09:36:34 AM
Also...  I'd like to know if those of you with Honda 2hp kickers like your engine?  Is this enough power?

I had a Honda 2hp longshaft on my Hunter 212 (displacement 1800Lbs) and it worked great!  If my Tohatsu quit today I would rather go buy the Honda than fix it.

wetland

Steve:

I was using a 2 cycle 6 HP Suzuki from my previous sailboat, before I purchased the honda 2 HP.
For my use it does not have enough power.  I keep the boat in the water for the season.
I have to travel about 3/4 mile each way down
a wetland creek to reach a large ocean bay.  Although you can reach near hull speed, with the
honda 2, you  need to run it wide open which I don't like to do with any engine.  I could just
go slower but I like to get a couple sailing hours after work and don't want to spend half the time on the creek. 
This weekend I was sailing in winds that would
come and go. From stiff to doldrums.  I tried to sail with the motor down and assisting which I
have done in these conditions with the suzuki 6.  As soon as the wind would pick up, the honda
lower shaft would break out of its rubber containment bushing that holds the motor rotated down and just drag it
behind the boat with the prop spinning.  Lastly I really dislike the oil check window which I can't seem to
read well (Why I started this thread).  I'll try some different flashlights as someone suggested.  Once
I over filled it with oil because I couldn't read it and dropped the tiney oil cap in my lagoon and had
to wait 2 weeks to order another at 10.00.  It is not particularly quiet when compared to engines
that exhaust through the water.   On the plus side it weighs only twenty some pounds which makes up
for almost everything.  Lots of advantages having a motor that light on a CP-16.  Being air cooled it
just pollutes the atmosphere instead of the water and the atmosphere.  Although it holds a pint of gas,
you probably have to change it every year.  My Suzuki 6 weights about 59 lbs which is too heavy for
the boat and my back.  I don't know what is available now, but to do it over I might look at a 4 HP,
if its weight were low enough say about 35 lbs.  I could not find anything two years ago that met
that spec.  I guess I like a little extra power for those times I have found myself in a situation that
I needed to get out of fast.

Tom M. 

Rick Klages

Quote from: wetland on July 07, 2009, 02:09:30 PM
Steve:

I was using a 2 cycle 6 HP Suzuki from my previous sailboat, before I purchased the honda 2 HP.
For my use it does not have enough power.  I keep the boat in the water for the season.
I have to travel about 3/4 mile each way down
a wetland creek to reach a large ocean bay.  Although you can reach near hull speed, with the
honda 2, you  need to run it wide open which I don't like to do with any engine.  I could just
go slower but I like to get a couple sailing hours after work and don't want to spend half the time on the creek. 
This weekend I was sailing in winds that would
come and go. From stiff to doldrums.  I tried to sail with the motor down and assisting which I
have done in these conditions with the suzuki 6.  As soon as the wind would pick up, the honda
lower shaft would break out of its rubber containment bushing that holds the motor rotated down and just drag it
behind the boat with the prop spinning.  Lastly I really dislike the oil check window which I can't seem to
read well (Why I started this thread).  I'll try some different flashlights as someone suggested.  Once
I over filled it with oil because I couldn't read it and dropped the tiney oil cap in my lagoon and had
to wait 2 weeks to order another at 10.00.  It is not particularly quiet when compared to engines
that exhaust through the water.   On the plus side it weighs only twenty some pounds which makes up
for almost everything.  Lots of advantages having a motor that light on a CP-16.  Being air cooled it
just pollutes the atmosphere instead of the water and the atmosphere.  Although it holds a pint of gas,
you probably have to change it every year.  My Suzuki 6 weights about 59 lbs which is too heavy for
the boat and my back.  I don't know what is available now, but to do it over I might look at a 4 HP,
if its weight were low enough say about 35 lbs.  I could not find anything two years ago that met
that spec.  I guess I like a little extra power for those times I have found myself in a situation that
I needed to get out of fast.

Tom M. 

Trade you!  The Tohatsu is a 3.5Hp  2 stroke. 

daryl81

I have a 1993 water cooled 2 horse that I use on my cp-16 on an inland lake with no problem. This older motor is always in gear and starts first or second pull. It is a short shaft but I have an adjustable mount that keeps the cavitation plate way below water level. I wouldn't trade it for anything else. 27 pounds of weight that pushes 4+ knots at half throttle.

Salty19

Personally I will never buy another Honda small engine.  Had a new Honda lawn mower, piece of junk...wouldn't start, did not cut well, very heavy.  I donated it.

I have a 2k Honda generator...again won't start without cursing, cannot pull the watts it's supposed to, it blows oil into the exhaust--not happy with it at all.  A far cry from their cars and motorcycles (my wife rides a VFR and I used to have an old Nighthawk)

I did a bunch of research when buying a new outboard. Here's the data I found on what is available:

MAKE   HP   Weight lbs   Weight kg   Hp/weight   Trans   Shaft   Cooling   Tank   Oil Tank   WOT RPM   ALT?   Warranty
Honda   2   28      0.071428571   Centrifugal   Long   Air         5000-6000   No   5
Suzuki   2.5   30.1      0.083056478   F-N   Short 15"   Water   1.5 ltr      5250-5750   No   
Yamaha   2.5   37   17   0.067567568   F-N   Short 15"   Water         5250-5750   No   3
Tohatsu   2.5   41   18.4   0.06097561   F-N   Short 15"   Water   .32gal/1.2 ltr   10oz/300ml   4500-5500   No   3
Tohatsu   3.5   41      0.085365854   F-N   Short 15"   Water   .32gal/1.2 ltr   10oz/300ml         
Tohatsu   3.5   43   19.05   0.081395349   F-N   Long 20   Water   .32gal/1.2 ltr   10oz/300ml   5000-6000   No   3
Yamaha   4   48   22   0.083333333   F-N   Short/Long 20   Water         4000-5000   No   3
Suzuki   4   57      0.070175439   F-N-R   Short/Long 20   Water   1.5 ltr   .74 gt/.7 ltr   4000-5000   Opt 6A   
Suzuki   6   57      0.105263158   F-N-R   Short/Long 20   Water   1.5 ltr   .74 gt/.7 ltr   4750-5750   Opt 6A   
Tohatsu   4   59      0.06779661   F-N-R   Short/Long 20   Water   .34 gal/1.3 ltr   15 oz/450ml   4500-5500   Opt 5 A   3
Honda   5   61   27.5   0.081967213   F-N-R      Water         4500-5500   Opt 3A   5

As the long shaft is needed for the CP16,it leaves us with either the Honda or Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury as reasonable units (new).  Yamaha makes top quality machines in general, but way too heavy!
I chose the Tohatsu 3.5.  It's 43 lbs, and maybe slight overkill for small lake use, ubt it starts the first pull, is very quiet, great mileage, and when I do decide to take it to
the ocean or Lake Erie, it will be able to battle the waves and get me safely home.  1/4 throttle is hull speed on calm water or trolling speeds in 20mph wind. I like that it's not working real hard, it will last longer.
I value quiet and reliable...the Honda is very loud and the centrigugal clutch was not appealing to me at all.  I like the control of the gear shifter.

My thought on the sight window aside from teh good idea of using a flashlight is see if a makeshift dipstick can be used.  For example a small dowel rod with marks on it for oil level and another mark for reference (for example the top line would line up with the fill opening.  )
Not sure if mechanicals are in the way or not?
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Rick Klages

I have a Tohatsu 3.5 long-shaft 2 stroke and I think its a piece of junk.  Servicing it is no picnick.  It puts all sorts of filth into the water. It can be very difficult to start. Its very loud at even part throttle.  Mixing oil is a pain and unnecessary in the modern age.  Its ugly (and cheap looking). The quality and fit of the plastic engine cowling is awful.  I got this turd for free when I bought my boat. I carry almost everything I need to overhaul this sad thing on every outing. Do you want to buy it?  My fantasy is giving it a burial at sea.

I have owned the Honda and it was trouble free.  Light and powerful, clean running and quiet. Easy to start and maintain.  It easily propelled my 22 foot 1800 pound Hunter  212 to hull speed (about 6 Knots) even in moderate swells on the Atlantic Ocean. It moved the Hunter at 4 Knots on calm water  at just a bit above idle. If you think you need more power let me recommend you give up sailing and buy a speed boat!  Hull speed on a CP16 is about 5 Knots.  More engine is just a waste.

wetland

Salty;

Thanks for the specifications on small engines.  It must have taken time to type  them in.
They are a good reference.  I like the dipstick idea and will try to fashion one with perhaps
some flexible material.  Please don't give up sailing and buy a speed boat because you desire
another 1.5 HP on your 1000 lb boat.  You can use my speed boat if you ever come to NJ.

Thanks again,
Tom M.   

Salty19

Rick,

lol, Sounds like a funeral at sea is in order!  A pontoon boat in my marina has the Tohatsu 9.9...loud as hell and belches a lot of smoke!
I had a Johnson 4hp 2 smoker and got rid of it for the same reasons as you! Got $300 out of it too :)

I can assure you the 4 stroke Tohatsu 3.5hp is indeed put together well, starts the first pull, has minimal vibration after break-in, is quiet, thrust is excellent, and generally I'm VERY pleased with it!   I cannot comment on long term reliability, the motor only has about 15-18 hours on it. But it runs smooth!
However based on your experience with the 2 smoker, I can see why you will not go back to Tohatsu.

I guess I don't perceive the 3.5 as overkill but rather the motor won't work hard and will last longer. Also if I'm caught in a big blow the extra juice is appreciated (usually I just motor for a few minutes out and in to the dock-long enough to warm up the engine to reduce carb).  Hutchins specs says up to 4hp, so it's not beyond thier specs.  And quiet is very important to me--the Honda is much louder--I heard one in a shop and was surprised how loud it was (still quieter than the 2 strokes, I think?). The 43lbs does not seem to be problem either with the right cargo balance in the bow.    Scuppers stay dry unless I'm carrying 2 or more crew besides myself (which is rare). With just the wife and I, it's balanced.  

Salty19

Tom-

No problem, I had the chart created for my own use.  Just copy/pasted.

And no, powerboating is not in my future.  I think Rick was just joking around :)

Rick Klages

One more point!  I sail on the salt.  The Honda 2Hp is air cooled so no corrosive salt water inside the engine jacket or coolant pump!

Brian 1851

Rick,

I think your previous owner must have beat the life out of your motor because of how ruff and loud it runs.  I have the same motor.  Though there are some short comings( no neutral, engine not easy to access) my engine is extremely quiet and runs very well.  It sounds like you hope your engine dies but if you want to try and help it to run better this might possibly help.  A couple of things I have used that keeps my engine running good is Opti-2 for my oil additive which uses about 1/2 of the oil of what is normally used which has made a big difference for me mixed with high octane gas.  I hardly notice any oil in the water when motoring and none in the air.  Using Sea Foam has helped a lot in making the engine run much smoother and quieter.  A great product.  By how you talk about the outboard I know you want to get rid of it but maybe if it runs better you can get more money for it when you sell it.

Bob23

I don't own a Honda 2 but I understood that the lower unit was water cooled or something like that. Is there still an impeller in the Honda 2 to provide this?
   My Tohatsu 3.5 came with a nuetral and forward and was a great motor even though I completly submerged it in salt water during a capsize in my old SeaPearl. I didn't allow the motor to dry out at all, keeping it submerged in the bay while I sorted out the disaster which resulted in no loss of lives but a hugh ego loss to the captain.
   I then sunk the motor in a barrel of fresh water overnight, in the morning dropped it off at Hance and Smythe (local sunfish/Boston Whaler dealer and great friend) and by 1400 hrs that day, I had a perfectly running outboard again, although a few bucks poorer. I sold the motor with the 'Pearl but it continued to run perfectly.
   Ick- maybe yours was built on a Friday?
Bob23...now Nissan powered.