News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Main sheeting... end of boom vs mid boom???

Started by Mundaysj, March 02, 2009, 07:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mundaysj

Hi all,
I was re-reading my last years question on topping lift and came accross Ron's comments about how he added a traveler and changed the main sheeting to mid-boom.  Someone somewhere along the way did the same thing to mine.  But a rather knowledgeable sailor and friend in my yacht club was telling me that I should change it back to the original sheeting at the end of the boom.  Something about too much purchase.  I am thinking about doing it... (mainly because the traveler is a piece of   sh!t and the block just sort of moves from one end to the other at its own will in a strong wind and seems immoveable when I actually want to move it.)
So... what do you all think??
Thanks,
Sherie

kchunk

Hey Sherie,

IMO mid-boom sheeting is superior to end-boom sheeting because the position and adjustability of the traveler. That said, end-boom sheeting that works is superior to mid-boom sheeting that doesn't work.  ;)  If you have the money, I'd have your mid-boom system evaluated and repaired. I'm not exactly sure what "too much purchase" means (too many blocks or not enough), but sounds easily fixable. Is your main sheet attached to a single point or mutliple points on the boom? I found this image on Harken's website. They talk about converting end-boom sheeting to mid-boom and the possible effects on the boom:

Considering the 23's have a conservative sail-plan, I don't think you're at too much risk torquing the boom due to the increased loads due to a short lever arm of mid-boom sheeting. However, I'd rig it to at least two points on the boom rather than a single point.

--Greg

Mundaysj

Thanks Greg,
I do only have the one point on the boom.  Maybe I will take a look at Harken's website.  A second block might do the trick.
Cheers,
Sherie

doug

sherie

We have a 2002 16cb that came with mid boom traveler installed by the factory. We don't have the problem you have described as our traveler remains locked down until you uncleat it to adjust. Don't know how that compares with end-boom sheeting but the traveler allows you to shape your sails for various wind conditions (I'm still learning the best sheeting to keep the craft balanced and moving as rapidly as is possible for our slow but steady craft). If you have the factory traveler, your cleats or line might simply be worn allowing it to slip instead of holding fast.

Craig Weis

End Boom. Mid boom is always in the way. Face it your sailing a barge, like all Com-Pacs. I can't fathom a single reason for mid-boom unless your racing. skip. Get rid of the side by side gang block that came with the boat and pick-up an inline block by Gahauher [sp]. That way the main sheet will stop twisting up. Go to the other Com-Pac site for Yahoo and look at my skip's pics album. You can see the rig in one of the pics. I can't view those anymore as something is upcuffed. Nor can I log in to that site anymore. But I can read and respond through my e-mail. Strange. skip.
Are you still dinking around with the VHF cable and steaming lite wiring?

OH I forgot. At the bottom of this post is a link to my Frappr. One can see the picture of me standing in my comapnion way with my brown sweat shirt. And there is the inline block. At the end of the boom.
Boy I really like this modify key for posts.

jcatkeson

I agree that the end boom is better. My previous boat, a Hunter 27 (sold) had been used for racing and converted to mid boom. The traveler was always in the way and the sheet was difficult to use due to the location relative to where one usually stands of sits (the Hunter did have a longer cockpit). I was going to change it back until a civic minded person offered me a deal and took the boat away.

newt

Sherie,
My compac came with mid-boom and I have really grown to like it. I like standing on the end of the boat sometimes, and I may even put seats on the pulpit in the future. My mid boom is much simpler than your diagrams- just a simple traveller and block. It does the job well though.

Mundaysj

Thank You all for your valuable input!!  I will let you know what I decide... and I will take pictures.  :o)

mike gartland

When I bought my 1989 CP 23/3 several years ago it had been converted to mid-boom sheeting using a Harken traveller across the aft edge of the bridge deck along with (I believe) the original factory 3:1 mainsheet assembly attached to a single through-bolted bail approximately 2/3 of the way out the boom.  Since I have never used the original boom-end arrangement I can't compare the two but I can say that I have been totally pleased with the mid-boom/bridge deck traveller system.  The only modification I have made is to change out the original 3:1 system with a Garhauer 4:1 mainsheet system to compensate for the reduced leverage of the semi-midboom attachment.  I found that when the main was fully loaded in a good blow that it was sometimes (dangerously) difficult to pop the jam cleat when needing to spill a puff.  The sheet traveller is a great help in adjusting the sheeting angle when running or sailing close hauled.  The location of the sheet at the forward end of the cockpit doesn't interfere with activities at all when sailing....in fact I think the end-boom location would make other activities like raising and lowering the outboard and rudder or using the swim ladder more difficult where it would be in the way.  The only location downside to the current arrangement is that it can sometimes be in the way when entering or exiting the companionway.  When we are spending the night or day aboard while in port at at anchor it is easy to position the traveler car far to one side to clear the path to the cabin....no problem.   There are some pictures of the WindRush on the SailboatOwners.com web site under the ComPac Forum that should give some idea of the system looks like.  If there isn't one there now I will try to add a good pic in the near future.  Good luck.

Mike

WindRush CP-23/2
Mike23

mike gartland

A continuation of the previous post.....

Hope I haven't confused everyone with the location of the pics showing the mid-boom arrangement from above....the pics are in the WindRush Album in the Com-Pac Sailboat Social Group found under the Forum Index....there really isn't a Com-Pac Forum as there are for other classes.  I'm hoping we can get the Albums up and running again on this site as it is a much better forum for Com-Pac  discussions.

Mike

WindRush
Mike23

jdonaldson

"Face it your sailing a barge, like all Com-Pacs."  A damnable calumny and lie!  Our Suncat is undercanvassed (as everyone knows), but in 15-18 knots on a broad reach we have regularly exceeded 5.75 knots.  In light air it wallows, won't point, and won't come about -- but give it 20 knots and it is a bat out of hell!

Potcake boy

Quote from: jdonaldson on May 08, 2009, 08:58:42 PM
"Face it your sailing a barge, like all Com-Pacs."  A damnable calumny and lie!  Our Suncat is undercanvassed (as everyone knows), but in 15-18 knots on a broad reach we have regularly exceeded 5.75 knots.  In light air it wallows, won't point, and won't come about -- but give it 20 knots and it is a bat out of hell!

Did you say "the barge from hell"?
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Craig Weis

Perfect. Yes a barge horn indeed!
I have a 6.? knot speed indicated from my Raymarine chart plotter on my C-P 19. Still sailing a barge in terms of performance. You want performance? Sail a flat bottom Sharpie with a keel. AKA as a Star Boat. She'll will accelerate so fast she'll snap your neck on a two pennant stormy day.
skip.

mike gartland

The CP-23 may not be a speed demon but I certainly don't consider it a dog, either.  Two weeks ago we were out in 25 mph winds and the GPS reached 6.3 knots on several occasions with a single reef in the main and the genny only about 50% unfurled.  We were heeled at 20-30 deg much of the time so you can guess that our speed was being hindered considerably by weather helm....still we hung in at 5.5 to 6 knots most of the time.  Fortunately, wave height was only 1 to 2 feet so we weren't having to bang our way through heavy chop and this helped in maintaining a fairly constant speed.  I don't race so I can't say that the 23 would be competitive with other boats her size but I find that when I get in the parade of boats headed back to harbor at he end of the day that we aren't constantly being overtaken by the majority of boats.

Mike

WindRush
Mike23