News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Main sheeting... end of boom vs mid boom???

Started by Mundaysj, March 02, 2009, 07:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Sherie:
   Somehow we got on the barge thing here, which, by the way I do not agree with. Koinonia ain't no barge. Neither is Blonde Ambition, far as I can tell. But back to mid-boom sheeting vs. end of boom.
   I've been out both yesterday and today. I feel that with mid boom sail shape can be improved but maybe only marginally. I also have a boom vang and that helps. My biggest gripe about my end o' boom is all that line back where I need to work sometimes. Operate the outboard. Raise and lower the rudder. Cook on the grill. etc. Like I said before, I've also had it tangle in the tiller while the sails-a-fluttering when I arrive back at my mooring single handed.
   I think you can add a double or triple block to increase the purchase and still keep your mid-boom sheeting so you can have plenty of mechanical advantage to muscle that main in when  you need to.
   Again, my 2 cents. Bob23...always glad to help.

Potcake boy

I believe that most people on the water who feel that boating is only enjoyable when it's fast are those motorboaters out blasting around. If you need fast get a jet ski - but please don't operate it in my neighborhood.

Face it compared to almost any other means of transport sailboats are barges, not just Compacs.  But who ever said a barge is a bad thing?  The other week while out in Charlotte Harbor I had a lengthy visit by a dolphin.  Eventually he/she fell away in my wake.  There was a "cruiser" motorboat that crossed my wake in the immediate vicinity of the dolphin, but no one on board even noticed.  Why do they go out on these aquatic day trips if for nothing more than lunch at one of the many waterside restaurants?

Back to the point - and that is that sailing is fun in large measure because of the boat's interaction with wind and wave.  Things that make this interaction more interactive raise the fun factor.  Travelers do just that.  It just happens that a traveler system is easier to rig and more effective using a mid boom sheet as opposed to an end boom arrangement on our Compacs. Their function is really to make the boat do what it does better, and this usually results in greater boat speed, but very importantly better boat balance.  I can't believe all the performance claims I have seen on this forum about the Ida Sailor rudder, but comparative apathy about the benefits of travelers and good sails.  I personally feel that many of you would benefit far more by spending a little time on learning proper sail trim, than buying the latest speed gadget.  I don't even use a knotmeter on my 19 because if she is trimmed correctly not only is she much more fun to sail but she will be making her best speed anyway.  Keep in mind that good sails and good sail trim are the Formula One engines that propel our party barges.  And I'll drink to that.  Can we hear that horn again Greg!!!

The above opinions expressed are those of a sailor and do not represent the views of any sane person.
Ron
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

kchunk

http://www.1motormart.com/sounds/naut0042.wav

Hey Ron, Heading down your way...probably sooner than later. No definite plans yet, but outside chance might be as soon as next week!

newt

Ron,
I am on Captiva right now. Where are you exactly? Who I really feel sorry for are the sea cows- the prop marks on their backs tell the whole story.

Potcake boy

Quote from: newt on June 01, 2009, 03:18:26 PM
Ron,
I am on Captiva right now. Where are you exactly? Who I really feel sorry for are the sea cows- the prop marks on their backs tell the whole story.

Newt - I live in Punta Gorda on the north of the Peace River just west of IH 75.  My old Picnic Cat sails out of Dinkins Bayou on the west side of Captiva.

Is Captiva your home or are you visiting?

Yeah the Manatees are very vulnerable and unfortunately all too often boaters ignore the speed zones for Manatees, but of course the same group ignore the safety of anyone on the water.  I've done the miserable mile a few times, and no where is it more obvious that there are many boaters that shouldn't be. I've been pushed out of that narrow channel by the wake off of big power boats that refuse to slow for anyone.  Boy would a bazooka be nice to have aboard.
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

newt

I was just down here chartering. Your thunderstorms done chased me away, I am now in a hotel room with a flight tomorrow.  My wife has land sickness- she just told me how she wished she was back on the boat for a while so she won't feel so sick. Ha! Thats a change. Anyway maybe next time we can meet up if I go by your Marina.

Potcake boy

Quote from: newt on June 02, 2009, 07:58:05 PM
I was just down here chartering. Your thunderstorms done chased me away, I am now in a hotel room with a flight tomorrow.  My wife has land sickness- she just told me how she wished she was back on the boat for a while so she won't feel so sick. Ha! Thats a change. Anyway maybe next time we can meet up if I go by your Marina.

Yeah Newt the summer storms here can be pretty ominous, especially the lightening.  I have found myself leaving the lanai for the protection of the living room in a few of these storms.  Water spouts are an awesome sight however but never been on the water near one - got to be scary.

Do your next charter before May or after October and you will not likely encounter bad weather except when cold fronts manage to make their way this far south.
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

Gil Weiss

ComPacs may not be the fastest sailboat out there but they certainly are not in the "barge" category either. All boat designs are compromises, like many things in life, and the ComPacs offer a great all around sailing experience in addititon to there fine looks. Properly set up and sailed, Com Pacs are fine sailboats.

WE LOVE OUR ComPac 19!!!!   

No barges here, Gil

Potcake boy

Gil - it pains me to continue this wildly off topic conversation when I really meant to address the specific advantages of mid boom sheeting. However I feel that I have been grossly misunderstood on my remarks of embellishment.  Please understand that a debate is not personal nor antagonistic but is a concerted expression of opposing opinions.

"Barge" is defined in my dictionary as - "a roomy pleasure boat", and makes no reference to being slow.  Now if that isn't a poignant description of my Compac 19, then I'll eat my Ultimate Hat.  Of course if you disagree with that description as it pertains to your 19 then I retract my "barge" reference for you. 

I'm sure the negative connotations of the word barge as is often applied to sailboats was the work of egotistical racing sailors who wished to promote their own image.  I have drunk beer alongside the Annapolis racing crowd, and haven't found their exploits especially interesting.  Luckily, I don't have an image to promote.

Me - I am perfectly happy with my 19 foot party barge - thank you. Can we get that horn again Greg?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing this?
Ron
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

Bob23

I LOVE MY BARGE!
Bob23, happy not drinking beer with my pinky finger sticking out!

Bob23

In a desperate attempt to return to the original topic;
   I went to a nautical flea market yesterday in Forked River, NJ and picked up a complete traveller with blocks and all the fixins for 5 clams. And mainsheet blocks and bail for another 5 clams. One step closer to changing over to mid-boom sheeting. Can't wait to be released from the entanglement back at the stern and to regain some control over my recalsitrant mainsail!
   I love those flea markets...got quarts of bottom paint for 2 1/2 clams (The sunfish don't care much about brand or color; she just doesn't like barnacles), a mahogany manuvering board for 10 clams, and an inflatable hippopotomos for 3 bucks. Of course, as some of you know, I really like to gab so gab I did and in the process of having some good gabs, missed some good deals. Like the Magma grill for 5 dollars or the large anchor for 5 dollars. Yeah, like I need another anchor! Such is the case of a gab-a-holic!
   In the next few weeks, I'll sort some of the stuff out and hopefully start the changeover to mid-boom. Or maybe both! Who knows?
Bob23- the tinkerer! 

Potcake boy

Bob - gabbing is good - it's the most expedient way of sailors to promote the folklore of ye olde salty sea tales.
Congrats on the bargains - a few less clams than the boat store - you may have enough left for some chowder.
Good luck on the traveler project - I found that on my 19 the attachment point on the boom was about 40% of the length from the aft end so the risk of boom damage is not significant. I put the traveler track at the aft edge of the bridge deck to minimize sheet contact with the cockpit forward bulkhead and so the sheet would be clear of the bimini top when centered.  The only problem I have discovered with the traveler track location was when I finally figured out where I was getting all those shin scrapes - but now that I am aware the problem seems to have gone away.

Catch a breeze
Ron
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

Craig Weis

Yes I love my C-P 19 barge as well. Horn or no horn.
I posted a picture of the end sheet Garhauer four purchase in-line block on Frappr that replaced the factory side by side two gang block that always tangled.
Note the black tapped u-clamp that is attached to the back stay of Comfort & Joy . This ss cable is fitted with a Q/D and snaps into a hole in the end boom casting. It is a cheap boom holder-upper.

And a picture of the Garhauer boom vang attached to the cleat in the slot at the base of the mast. And attached to my cut-to-size and riveted on boom bail. The smallest they  [West Marine] sells. Steel rivets.

I went with Garhauer because the factory deck organizers are also the same Mfg.
skip.