a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Com-Pac Owners Registry

Started by CaptK, September 25, 2004, 07:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptK

This subject came up a few weeks back, and I haven't had the chance to do anything with it until now.

I'm not aware of any specific software to do this task. Does anyone here know of any website which has an owners registry on it that I can check out? Doesn't have to be boating - I just want to see how people are handling this sort of task.

Any references appreciated!

The only one I am aware of at the present time is the TSBB Roster.

Thanks!
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

Dan Hill

Try this site, good owners registry based on model and hull number.  http://www.iol.ie/~gtod/index.html

CaptK

OK, owners Registry update -

I checked out the site Dan recommended above. It works nice and functional, but is. IIRC, output from a microsoft product, Excel maybe. I don't have any of that, and I found another that looks like it will work well anyway. So...

What I need are suggestions as to what form fields do we need? What I've thought of so far:

Boat type
Hull No.
Year
Location of Boat
Owners Name (address optional?)
Owner contact info (optional)
Additional Info (option)

What else do we need?

sailFar.net

jaguaretype

Kurt, why don't we add the boat information to our members list profile, and through the members list maintain our own registry of boats?  Members could sort by boat and year and quickly identify those with similar baots to the one they own.  Jay.

Gil Weiss

Jay's idea is a good one. It might even help drum up some business from the Yahoo site.

CaptK

I looked into seeing if that could be done, but the only way I see it happning would be for someone with a good knowledge of php, MySQL, and phpBB to go in and hack the code that the site runs on. There just isn't the capability to add fields like that to the user info.  :(

The other app that I had/have (will take some refreshing) set up is in the form of a poll, type in answers or check box/radio buttons to input your info. I forget if it had a searchable database or not, will have to look at it again. First, I have to find it - the idea got dusty and cobwebbed with no response, and I've forgotten what and where I had it set up. :)

sailFar.net

mgoller

Kurt,
I think the fields you have selected are good, maybe even too much.  I have always been curious of how many Com-Pacs are still out there.
I use to own two Triumph Sports cars, a 59 TR-3a and a 63 TR-4.  The Vintage Triumph Sports Car Club had a great registry and could look up all sorts of data on original color, equipment, options, port of entry etc.  it was  big help when trying to restore to original.
The biggest problem I see is incentive to register.  What I find is the easier it is the more successful it is.
If we had a big notice on the home page that would help.  Then perhaps we could invite people to email the info.  I would be happy to take the emails and put them into a database.  I would use Excel because it can be sorted any way you want.
People are funny about privacy so maybe just homeport.
The registry could be posted as an updated text file on the site?

Gil Weiss

I think it is time we resurrect and implement the registry. Marcus has some good ideas. Simpler is better in my opinion too.

We could probably post the info to register not only here but on the Yahoo site and, perhaps, on the company ComPac site.

john walker

I find the names people have given their boats interesting, maybe include that in gegistering.  Johnny Walker

hazelscamp

CaptK

Good ideas. The Allied registry is simple enough, being just a page with frames, except that would have to be hand-edited for every entry. What I was hoping to run across was something that made it possible for people to put their info in from a webpage, and it be automagically and instantly updated. And although a spreadsheet would make organizing and updating the data easy, I'd like to stay away from a proprietary format like Excel, because not everyone has that software. I think that Google has come up with something like that, which we may be able to hook in to kind of like the owners map (linked from the site homepage, http://www.frappr.com/?a=fullmap&gid=29480).

A wiki would do it, I think, it would just need to be configured. I'll look into that, and some other options which have been raised here and which have come up since this thread was originally started. I'll post back soon with what I find out. :)

sailFar.net

dusty

If desired I could put together some PHP that would allow people to enter their registry info and store it in the com-pacowners.com database in a table that would not affect the SMF stuff.

alexkniffin

I believe that Excel can generate a webpage from a spreadsheet automatically.  That would mean having to re-export every time information changes, but it is a single click, then you just need to ftp it to the site and overwrite the old one. 

Not the most elegant of solutions, but it is something that could be setup pretty quickly (if you already have a list in an importable format)

mgoller

Hey all,
Excel can be used to compile the registry pretty easy.  It can viewed as a webpage or pasted into one.  It can be sorted every which way.  I don't know how we would post it but I'm sure Capt K would make that call.  I am volunteering to enter the info.  maybe we should start thinking about at least gathering info while the forum is active.  I think it could be updated on a schedule of 2 weeks or a month interval.  I wouldn't think entry should be right into the database by each individual.  Below is a cut and paste out of excel.  The info is dummied up.

Com-Pac Registry      
Model   Hull #   Year   Condition   State   owned since   Boat Name
16   ABV 00140J776   1976   sailing   MO   1998   Martha
16   ABV 00670k876   1976   fixing   FL   1987   Tabatha
16   ABV 00980B977   1977   sailing   NJ   2001   Sabrina
16   ABV 01190C277   1977   sailing   MA   2002   Cranky
16   ABV 00140J776   1977   sailing   MO   1998   Hotty
16   ABV 00670k876   1978   fixing   FL   1987   Freespirit
16   ABV 00980B977   1978   sailing   NJ   2001   Squall
16   ABV 01190C277   1978   sailing   MA   2002   Whitecap
16   ABV 00140J776   1978   sailing   MO   1998   Blue Thunder
16   ABV 00670k876   1979   fixing   FL   1987   Honcho
16   ABV 00980B977   1979   sailing   NJ   2001   Katie II
16   ABV 01190C277   1979   sailing   MA   2002   Harriet
16   ABV 00140J776   1979   sailing   MO   1998   Perth
16   ABV 00670k876   1979   fixing   FL   1987   Endora
16   ABV 00980B977   1979   sailing   NJ   2001   Noname
16   ABV 01190C277   1979   sailing   MA   2002   Lancer

19   ABV 01190C277   1981   sailing   GA   1981   Bridget

alexkniffin

That's exactly what I was referring to... the only question is how well does excel handle columns when it outputs to html?

Could you take that same dummy chart you created, export it to "web format" and post it somewhere so we could look?  Hopefully, excel puts proper spacing in each column, such that the heading always matches up with the data.

Oh, and by the way, thanks!