a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Com-Pac Owners Registry

Started by CaptK, September 25, 2004, 07:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgoller

I don't know where to post HTML on this site or how.  I could post it into my website and refer people thewre but that is a bit presumptuous.  I'll give it a go.  Excel is designed to be saved as a web page but I don't know where there is a page on this site.  I'm sure we can get some good ideas from someone here.  Excel is pretty convertible.  I can save it as text, Word, webpage, html but so far i can't see how to do a PDF.

alexkniffin

To do a pdf, you need a pdf converter.  Adobe has one (you have to buy Acrobat, not just the reader), but it is a bit expensive.  My favorite freebee (DISCLAIMER:  it must be for non-business use) is PDF995.  It installs itself as a "printer", so you can use it with any program that prints (you click on print, and then select PDF995 as you printer).  Version 7.9 is available for download at http://www.pdf995.com/download.html .

Actually.... wait... I've watched your videos on the Com-Pac 16 and 19 Fast sail.  Aren't you a Mac user?  On a Mac, you click on File-> Print in Excel, and there is a button on the bottom of the screen "Save as a PDF..."  Apple does the rest for you!

mgoller

http://www.com-pacowners.com/gallery2/albums/userpics/10142/registry.pdf

or with thumbnail photos

http://www.com-pacowners.com/gallery2/displayimage.php?album=6&pos=10

This downloads the pdf from the com-pac gallery to my computer in a formatted and printable form, but I haven't checked off another computer to see if it pulling the file from my local host.
Excel provides a spreadsheet that would also provide a column of thumbnail photos of each craft.

alexkniffin

Works perfectly.

Thanks for all the work!

mgoller

Great!
Thanks for confirming you can see it. 

How did it work?  Does it download to computer or does it pop as a PDF or image?

I gather this is not CaptK's preferred method, but in a way it is good because there is a firewall between entry to the registry and the output that can't be glitched up.  The only danger would be if one person held the registry and lost it or had it corrupted.  Solution - Backup the original excel file to CaptK with each update.

At least there is something here that is concrete to critique.

alexkniffin

It loaded in another tab for me (I use Mozilla Firefox:  www.mozilla.org).  I have my browser setup to ALWAYS open in a new tab if the link tries to open a new window.  My guess is that clicking on the link causes a new window to pop up.

If you are going to add thumbnail photos to the listing, that might get a bit slow to open.  Each thumbnail is small, but when there are more than 600 members...

mgoller

If I was doing the entry, I would rather not add thumbnails, it was just my amazement that excel had added this feature. 

I still think that model, hull #, location, condition and boat name is all that is needed.  No personal stuff, no email, no address.
This kind of registry can then show model changes at different hull numbers.

Where the boats migrated to, and how many are likely still sailing. 

When we went on the Midwest rendevous there was a beautiful little CP16 anchored about 400 yards from the marina where we began our trip.  It would have been so easy for this boat's owner to stop by and say hi or sail with us.  Evidently not every Com-Pac owner knows or cares about our site.  It may be that it will take a long time to get a big percentage of Com-Pacs registered.  Oh well.

Rick Klages

Add me: Rick Klages C-16/3 Hull AVB02730C090 (previously named "Steppin' Up". Once owned by Gil Weiss).
Name: "Quahog"; as in happy as a clam. Still sailing.

ick

B.Jones

1. Model - 19/II
2. Hull # - ABV00401A78719
3. Location - Chattanooga, TN
4. Sailing Condition - yes
5. Name - "Island Pearl"
6.Year bought - 2007
7. Options - Roller Furling, Spinnaker, Bimini

fjmatt

Proud new owner of a compac 16 thats going to need alot of TLC

1. Model - 16
2. Hull # - ABV01367M81C
3. Location - Dothan, AL
4. Sailing Condition - Not yet
5. Name -
6.Year bought - 2008
7. Options - I dont even have any sails yet!

geospencer

Old owner of a Compac 23/3

1.  Model - 23/3
2.  Hull # - ??
3.  Location - Lake Norman (near Charlotte, NC)
4.  Sailing Condition - yes
5.  Name - none
6.  Year bought - 1994
7.  Options - 150 Genoa

Greene

We just purchased a 1984 Anniv. Issue CP16 two weeks ago.  We spent a good deal of time researching small trailerable sailboats and this website helped make our final decision easier.  We found a very stock '84 in pretty good condition.  We have splashed it twice and absolutely loved it.  After sailing dinghies for a couple of years, it sure is nice to be able to move around in the cockpit.

Model:  Compaq 16
Hull#:   ABV02108M8AC
Sailing Condition:  Yes
Name:  Was previously named "Puppy Luff"  My wife loves the name, so we'll probably keep it.
Year Bought:  2008
Options:  Swim Platform, Main and Jib Halyard Cam Upgrade, State of the art 1952 3 HP Model 3102 Evinrude
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

joshuadickey

Just bought a Compac 16!

1.  Model - 16/1
2.  Hull # - ??
3.  Location - Merritt Island (near Cocoa Beach, FL)
4.  Sailing Condition - yes
5.  Name - none
6.  Year bought - 2009
7.  Options - none

Aguasala

1.  Model -  16 CB
2.  Hull # -ABV02895F798
3.  Location -  Juan Dolio, Dominican Republic
4.  Sailing Condition -  yes
5.  Name - Agua-Sala
6.  Year bought - 1997
7.  Options - Masthead rig, Roller furled jib, spinaker, mid-boom traveler, ida rudder, VHF radio, CD player, Bimini
8. Color - Dark blue hull / red below-water line

Suncat a Lula

Hello fellow Compac sailors.  Very difficult to get on this site, but finally made it.  Wish to announce that I am the proud owner of two (2) Compac sailboats.  Here, in Florida, I am very happy with my yr. 2004 Suncat.  In Northern California I just purchased a yr. 2002 Compac 19xl, which I do not believe has ever been sailed.  Looking forward to my trip back to California!  I am "boat poor" as I also have a yr. 2000 West Wight Potter 19, which will most likely go on the market very soon.  Looking forward also to communicating with you all.