a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Opinions on 2010 Sun Cat 17'

Started by rcsailin, May 21, 2024, 06:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcsailin

I'm looking at a 2010 Sun Cat (Open Cockpit/Daysailor) over here on the west coast.  Never had a gaff-rigged cat before, but always found them 'interesting'     Photos show it to be in good order, but haven't seen it in person, yet.   Priced at 7500 seems fair, maybe a little high.   Any words of wisdom from owners, users ?   I currently sail a Com-Pac 16/3. I know it would take some getting used to, but for a 68 YO guy, this seems like a good set-up for rigging, launching, sailing, etc.    Thanks all.     

GeorgeH

We recently parted with Sun Cat, cabin version,and found it quite suitable for senior sailors.  Ask if the vessel has the Mastender plus mast raising system.  I've not seen it  work, but it could make a moderate effort even easier.

We are inland lake sailors in upstate NY where most sailing days feature very light winds.  Could be us, but we couldn't get our Sun Cat going on those days.  We now sail an Eclipse, and find it moves along OK in light air. It's kept in a Marina, rigged and launched and then retrieved once a season.

But your reasoning is sound, those Sun Cats are easy to "put together".  Did you see the write up on them in SMALL CRAFT ADVISOR? George
Eclipse #59
Lake Cayuga NY

Roland of Macatawa

There are 3 versions of cabins/decks built on the SunCat hull.
I am 72 and sail a 2012 Com-Pac SunDayCat, which is the cuddy cabin version.
It has the mast-tender mast raising system, which is a block-and tackle line to raise the mast and tension the forestay.

I simply lift the mast unto my shoulder, pull on the line by leaning my body weight backwards.
It gets easier as it goes up.
Must still stabilize it side-to-side until the sidestays go taut.
I do that by holding one sidestay in my hand to pull on it to hold the mast to center.
I believe it was introduced on the SunDayCats and that all SunDayCats have it, but that it is a factory option for the full cabin SunCats.

It sounds to me though that you are looking at the fully open deck version which is no longer in production. I am not familiar with its mast raising system but presume it is similar to the full cabin version, where you raise the mast manually, put a pin into the mast hinge to hold it as you fasten and tension the forestay.

Happy to reply to specific questions.

Roland
2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

bruce

All of the Com-Pac catboats have the Mastendr system, the version Roland has is the Mastendr Plus with a permanently installed gin pole. That's useful for raising the mast without having to climb on top of a cabin. With the open cockpit on the Daysailor it's easy enough to walk the mast up. I know I've estimated the weight of the Sun Cat mast in the past, but I can't find it right now. It's easy for one person to raise.

At the ramp, compared to your 16, it's a piece of cake. The mast is already stepped, you just need to unfold it and connect the headstay. The sail is bent on. Just make sure the boom, sail slugs and gaff are below the hinge and on the mast stub before lowering the mast. The mast track is easily damaged if gear is above the hinge. Once you get a chance to see the boat in person, and see the process demonstrated, you'll be pleased.

I like to recommend Bill Welch's book, " The Competitive Cat, Racing Small Gaff-Rigged Catboats" to experienced sailors new to catboats. Some on racing, but mostly it's about sailing a catboat well.

For a 2010 Daysailor in good condition, $7,500 seems like a very good price. Check it out well.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Jim in TC

With a 2006 Sun with cabin, I will agree with the above, and re-emphasize Bruce's admonision regarding the boom/hinge relatioinship. This may be the easiest mistake leading to modest to severe mast damage that you can make at the ramp.

I have not really experienced difficulty in light air (this is not a speedy craft, and this is true in most any situation). We are out fairly often in low wind, as this is the first mate's preferred condition. In heavier air, when out with my more reckless buddy, the weather helm for which these boats are somewhat famous comes into play. Practice with reefing the sail is a good idea, as this can alleviate much of that when the wind puffs up, and there are other strategies.

I agree that the price does not seem out of line...these boats hold value quite well. Is there an outboard included? Check the mast closely at the hinge point, to see if the sail track is distorted from the aforementioned mistake with the boom. There are solutions to damage that are not expensive or difficult if it is modest (and minor damage to ours required no intervention).
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

bruce

Regarding the weight of the mast, it extends 14' above the hinge. From Dwyer, the extrusion weighs 1.14 lbs/foot. I see 16 lbs plus fittings, so maybe 20 lbs.

https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=11288.0

https://dwyermast.com/extrusion-dm-375/
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

rcsailin

Thanks all for the input so far.  Very helpful.   Yes, it does have a newer (4 stroke) outboard, and full sail & mooring covers.   Trailer looks pretty tidy as well.
Like the idea of the mast raising system.  Love my little CP 16, but it can be a chore to set-up. I also have an O'Day Javelin and a old Lund Superior Scout as well, and seems the older I get the more cumbersome the mast is.   I'm sure it's an issue w/ the mast, and not me........

bruce

With your experience on those boats you'll know quickly if the Daysailer is for you. Obviously, a test sail is ideal.

Although easily managed at the ramp, the Daysailer is a bigger boat, 17' and 1,500 lbs displacement, which I'm sure you know. I have a Picnic Cat which I like that might be an alternative, similar specs to the Scout.

I'd guess the Javelin is the fastest boat. I've seen 5.6 kts SOG on my PC, once, 5.4 more typically in the right conditions. That's fine for us. I don't know what Jim sees in sporty conditions.

With a serviceable 4 stroke OB, some canvas, and all in good condition, it should sell very quickly at $7,500.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

crazycarl

A Javelin? I restored a friend's for him years ago with the agreement that if he was to sell it, I'd get 1st dibs. He sold it to an older gentleman who from what I heard, never sailed it, but used it as decoration on his beach. I hope to find one in my area someday.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

rcsailin

Well CrazyCarl, if you're ever out southern california way, I'll make you a heck of a deal on a Javelin.  If this purchase of the Sun Cat goes thru, think I'm going to have to trim the fleet considerably.   Buy 1, sell 3.
Geez, you'd think I'd be over this obsession at this point in life, but I guess not........