Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

APOSTLE ISLANDS ADVENTURE 2023

Started by Seachelle, July 28, 2022, 06:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seachelle

Hey, everyone!

I've started this thread off of my former 'Ocean Passages with Com-Pacs' (https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=12414.0;last_msg=92891) thread in which there was some interest generated for a possible Com-Pac outing/adventure in the Apostle Islands in the summer of 2023. As I mentioned in the aforementioned thread, I used to sail around the Apostle Islands when I was growing up, and I would love to take my new-to-me CP 23D up to the area, to revisit the places I remember so fondly from days long gone by.

I also mentioned in the thread, per above, that there is a marina near Bayfield, WI, Port Superior (http://portsuperior.com) that I thought perhaps could be a home base for gathering everyone before we launch, set sail, etc. One of our CPYOA members, 'spsexton' bought a CP 33 that it sounds like he kept at this marina; this, from what I gathered on the thread he started about his new-to-him CP 33, SV Moonrise. I thought I might try to reach out to him, via PM on the forum, to see if he might be interested in joining us, and also if he would share impressions of the Port Superior Marina as well as his thoughts re: where to cruise in the Apostles, as he mentions having done so himself.

As people who have expressed interest in attending are hauling in from some distance away, it sounds like a trip of at least one week might be best. Does this sound good to folks?

I think that I read, in the other thread, perhaps August 2023 might be a good month to look to for scheduling our adventure? According to the 'Old Salt' in my family (my dad!), August was the month we always chartered during for our sailing trips. I know that early fall was also suggested as a time frame as well.

I will see if I can track down CPYOA member 'spsexton' since he's local to the area -- or at least he was at the time of his last post on this forum. I will also do some research on the Port Superior Marina to learn about their amenities and report back what I find. I am not sure what sort of fees they have for launching, parking our rigs/trailers, etc. There may be other locations we could consider for this sort of thing, too. I will also look into what sort of provisioning is available in the area for stocking up on food, water, gas/diesel, other boat supplies, etc., etc.

Looking forward to reading others thoughts, suggestions, feedback! Let's keep this conversation going!

Fair winds,
~ Chelle
SV Sunflower (Sunny) | 2021 Com-Pac Legacy
SV No Mas! | 1990 Com-Pac 23D MK3
sailawaywithchelle.wordpress.com

crazycarl

Perfect!  I've been researching sailing the Apostles in a small boat.  There is a lot of information out there.  :)

Sailingbreezes.com is as good a place as any to start reading.

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

alsantini

I think I am in also.  It will be my 5th time in the Apostles.  Previous trips were in my Precision 21 staying in downtown marina in Bayfield.  The marina was perfect, with a municipal launch ramp a bit down the road and food within an easy walk.  Always willing to try a different marina.  Does it have a launch ramp?
August works for me also, at least at this time.  Make sure a sail to Rassberry Island is on the list.  The light house is beautiful.  Sail On  Al

crazycarl

Perfect Al!  Always good to have someone with who has been before.

slode

Al,  Did you spend any nights on the hook?  Its a big area and day sailing from a marina won't get too much of the area covered, especially from Bayfield.  And the night sky from the water is too good to not spend at least a few nights nestled into a leeward bay on one of the islands.  But a week on the water with no stops to re-provision and charge up is probably too long for most.  If we plan far enough ahead enough slips to accommodate everyone could probably be had at the Madeline Island marina for a night mid trip.  Or just stop there or in Bayfield for an afternoon to get off the boats and spend some time on the hard.

Late Aug-early Sept is ideal.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Mas

Hmmm...my world has been quite unpredictable as of late, but if you wish crew, and as a previous owner of No Mas, I would find it uber fun to take the helm some again and help her finish that circumnavigation!

Having spent some time up that direction it should be noted that the swimming season for lake Superior is August 5-6th! Even then snow is possible. Being a Southern Boy the water is chilly as it never gets out of the 60's.
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Bob23

Rick, it's comforting to know that in these troubled times, you haven't lost your sense of humor! Thank goodness some things are absolutes!
Bob23

Windjammer1

Count me in!Would love to bring my new to me Eclipse,"Janyl Marie" up.

Mas

Quote from: Bob23 on July 30, 2022, 06:04:06 PM
Rick, it's comforting to know that in these troubled times, you haven't lost your sense of humor! Thank goodness some things are absolutes!
Bob23

So appreciate the vote of confidence on a senses of humor as everything i said was true! We do have to get together again somewhere doing something. Maybe Seachelle can help us all flock together.  :)

peace,
Mas
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

alsantini

To answer the question, we (2 on board) always spend the night in the marina close to food, showers, friends.  But, there are plenty of places to drop the hook but many locations are really deep so a lot of rode is necessary.  I would only want to be on the hook for perhaps a nite or 2 since a lot of the area is accessible by day sailing.  Part of being in the Apostle Islands is a fish boil, Madelin Island, and the other Islands that are relatively close.  Devils Island is fantastic and that would be an overnight or 2.  Prior to sailing the islands my wife and I took a tour boat out to Devils Island to see and listen to the wind and water going through the caves.  I think it belongs on the list.  Oak Island is good hiking and Raspberry Island has a great light house.  To add an additional comment.  The water is very cold, with storms that can blow up in a minute.  Everyone needs VHF communications with an antenna up top the mast and the Boy Scout motto of Be Prepared in mind.  One afternoon in August, we had winds of 45 mph and one night it dropped into the upper 30's.  Sail On

slode

To not scare any of us smaller craft off.  All's suggestion of a VHF is a must, but a good handheld does the job fine if you don't want to run wires up your mast.  You are never out of range of coast guard and can always pick up the weather reports and wind advisories.  Keeping up on the wind forecasts and always being prepared to seek shelter on a leeward side of an island is needed, but it's nothing too daunting for a skipper who's fairly sure of themselves and their boat.

After spending 4 nights on the hook on the various islands I would highly recommend catching at least one clear night out.  You've never seen the nights sky until you've seen it from the cockpit of a boat anchored in calm waters in the Apostles. 

The fish camp on Rocky Island is another good attraction to check out.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

crazycarl

I haven't been to a fish boil since '98 when we visited Mackinaw island.  Fresh caught white fish is so delicious!

kickingbug1

oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Seachelle

A quick update, friends!

I've placed a call to Port Superior Marina out of Bayfield. I spoke with a woman named Kelly who is the point person for slip reservations. Kelly said that she will not know how many slips she'll have available next season (during August or Sept) as it depends upon whether or not current slip renters rent again next season. Kelly said that she will know by Nov or Dec, this year, how many slips, if any, are available for our time frame next year. She put my contact info down on her 'list' to reach back out once further details are learned.

As for some other info I learned:

** As of now, the rate is $50 day (plus taxes) for a 25 ft slip rental at the marina, $2 extra for each additional foot over 25 ft. I think most of us, if not all, will fall under the 25 ft size; also, the smallest slip the marina offers is the 25 ft. size as well. (My marina has 20 ft wells, in contrast.)

** The marina has a restaurant/bar on site; showers/restrooms; clubhouse; laundry facilities, etc.

** The marina has a ship's store, that's only for boat parts, etc. I'll have to look to see how far the closest grocery store is for provisioning, though I think for me, personally, I'll try to provision from home as much as I can in that capacity.

** There is NO launch ramp on site at the marina, but there are, apparently, two public ramps within 2-10 minutes of drive time from the marina. (One is in Washburn, the other in Bayfield.) These ramps do not allow overnight parking for rigs/trailers, though.  :-\  It sounds like parking at the marina itself with our rigs might be an issue, too, as parking is tight there, from what I learned.

I'll keep digging to see what other alternatives I can uncover. Maybe there is another marina we could stay at -- I'll look back to the posts in this thread to see if there were others suggested. Also, I will look more deeply into the public launch sites to see if there might be exceptions for overnighting the rigs in their lots, or if the management would know of areas where we could park our rigs.

Fair winds,
~ Chelle
SV Sunflower (Sunny) | 2021 Com-Pac Legacy
SV No Mas! | 1990 Com-Pac 23D MK3
sailawaywithchelle.wordpress.com

Christopher

Thank-you for the update and your continuing investigation!