Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

APOSTLE ISLANDS ADVENTURE 2023

Started by Seachelle, July 28, 2022, 06:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slode

Chelle,

Thanks for taking the reigns on planning this.  I would check into Buffalo Bay Campground/Marina, part of Legendary Waters Resort in Red Cliff.  They have a very nice launch ramp, transient slips set aside, and ample parking.  It's also more central to the islands.  A day trip to Bayfield is a short drive or sail away.

"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

rogerschwake

I have a slip reserved for August 29-30-31 at Legendary Waters Resort four miles north of Bayfield. Have not been there before so can't tell you anything about what they offer. There slips are $35 a night and your right across from Basswood Island. I'll let you know what it's like when we get back.

ROGER

Seachelle

Thanks so much, everyone, for your feedback and sharing additional places I can look into for our home base port next year! I am thrilled to see so much interest generated over the possibility of this trip! I will continue to research and report what I learn with you all. Please keep shouting out any other suggestions, too -- the more options we have, the better! :)

Mas, I hope you will join us and I know that No Mas! would love to visit with her former captain and caretaker!

Fair winds!
~ Chelle
SV Sunflower (Sunny) | 2021 Com-Pac Legacy
SV No Mas! | 1990 Com-Pac 23D MK3
sailawaywithchelle.wordpress.com

alsantini

When we were in Bayfield at the downtown marina, we drove to Pikes Bay Marina since it was opening soon.  A great looking marina and maybe one that we should consider.  I think they had a launch ramp.
We would usually launch at the Bayfield ramp, south of the center of town.  One would motor over to the marina and one would drive the car/trailer.  They had plenty of storage available, although it has been years so who knows now...  We would have to coordinate to get boats in and cars/trailers to the marina.  All doable.  Sail on   Al

Fastdoc98

Looking at their website they don't have a ramp and suggest the town ramp 1.5 miles north, but they do offer trailer/vehicle parking.  Bigger place by the look of it - would think that would lend itself well to accommodate a group of us.

alsantini

I was cleaning shelves yesterday in our den and came across "The Visitor's Guide to Apostle Islands National Lakeshore by Dave Strzok".  This was the book that gave me the desire to go sail the Apostle's.  I know it is available on Amazon new for $12.00 and used for $4.68.  This is well done and worth the money plus will put the islands in perspective to anyone sailing next summer.  I can lend my copy to anyone too....  Sail On.  Al

Seachelle

Hello, Apostle Island fans!

Just an update:

1) This week, I plan to reach out to my contact, Kelly, at the Port Superior Marina to see if they've determined a number re: available transient slips for August 2023. (Back in August of this year, when I had spoken to her, Kelly told me to check back in with her in November or December of this year to learn what may be available for next year's season.) I will also check into the Buffalo Bay Campground/Marina, per CPYOA member slode's recommendation, to see what their availability is, as well as Pikes Bay Marina, as suggested by CPYOA member alsantini.

If folks know of any other facilities, please let me know, and I'm happy to look into accommodations elsewhere as well. I'm also ordering a copy of "The Visitor's Guide to Apostle Islands National Lakeshore", by Dave Strzok, as alsantini mentioned this book as a great resource for planning our adventure.

2) Would everyone who is still interested in attending please chime in to confirm your preference for a week in August for our trip? I believe, if memory serves me, we had decided upon August, instead of September?

3) rogerschwake, you mentioned in a post on this thread:

" I have a slip reserved for August 29-30-31 at Legendary Waters Resort four miles north of Bayfield. Have not been there before so can't tell you anything about what they offer. There slips are $35 a night and your right across from Basswood Island. I'll let you know what it's like when we get back."

Would love to hear your thoughts regarding your experience and whether you think it could be suitable for us as a potential home base or as a place in which to visit on the trip.

4) Looks like the following islands have been noted of interest: Madeline Island, Devils Island, Oak Island, Basswood Island, and Raspberry Island. I'd also like to add Stockton Island. Any others?

I'm going to assume if we use the weekends for our arrival/set-up and then break-down/departure times, that would leave us M-F for touring the islands. Is it feasible to do one island per day? What do you all think? I don't have a sense for how long it will take to sail to each island, realizing of course, this will all depend upon wind conditions, etc. Weather conditions will also play into us potentially having to alter our plans as well.

Initially, I was thinking of trying to establish a planned itinerary for us, but this may not be what folks have in mind?

Perhaps folks would prefer to visit the islands on their own, and meet up only at only certain points/times during that week?

Please share your thoughts and how you'd envision this trip -- feel free to PM here on the forum, too, if you'd rather share thoughts that way.

Fair winds!
~ Chelle
https://passagesfromtheheart.wordpress.com

crazycarl

I'm still planning on attending.  With the long drive, I'll probably be there for 2 weeks unless it is within a week of CLR.  Then I'll do a week at each and if there is a week  between we can visit our daughters in northern IL. 

I have been collecting articles on the Apostle Islands for years.  Unfortunately, they are still in storage up north, but I did find a "chart" from a seminar I attended at the Strictly Sail show in Chicago.

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

crazycarl

Well, the pics didn't come clear enough because of the limitations on size, but the back side describes anchorages and when not to use them because of wind direction.  As for a marina, we'll need one for launching and storing our rigs, but I wasn't planning on returning until the week, or 2, was complete.  But, that's just my plans. 

slode

If anyone is planning on making it to Outer or even Devils Island you may want to plan on a night on the hook for a round trip.  In good winds it could be done in a day, but doesn't leave much time to explore.  Stockton provides good anchorage in most conditions and is a good central location to make other destinations.  Sand Island is also a beautiful spot to spend a night after visiting Raspberry and it provides some good hiking. 

I for one will be spending at least a couple nights out.  It's just too beautiful of a sky to not take advantage of seeing from a cockpit. 
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

crazycarl

crazycarl

If there's any way this event could be held near CLR, it would save us a lot of driving.
Joan will come to CLR, and then I can drop her off at our daughters in northern IL while I proceed to Bayfield.  Or, the opposite.

Seachelle

Carl, when is CLR?

Fair winds,
~ Chelle

crazycarl

Quote from: Seachelle on November 22, 2022, 05:09:26 PM
Carl, when is CLR?

Fair winds,
~ Chelle

That is Steve's (kickingbug) call.

crazycarl

Kickingbug has just announced CLR will be the last week in June.  Our youngest daughter is expecting her third son in July, so I'm kind of stuck right now.  It would help me out if the Apostle Island sail was the week after CLR, but it should be planned so the majority can participate.  I also have a sail to Ocracoke planned for September, and I'm riding my bicycle the entire length of the outer banks in late Sept, early Oct.