Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Any wintertime projects?

Started by alsantini, October 24, 2020, 11:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

Quote from: Bob23 on December 13, 2020, 06:09:36 PM
I'm always amazed how thread drift just happens around here!

Some of us aren't as steady at the helm as we once were, and/or have shallower keels keeping us on course.  What was the question?
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

kickingbug1

you guys sure do a lot in the winter. im just trying not to store too much junk either on or underneath my boat as it sits in the garage waiting for spring and a vaccine
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Tim Gardner

Avast ye lubbers!  My winter time project is to sail, sail, sail.  When the Temps are in the 60's, and the wind is above 7mph,  Ill be out on the lake for a few hours of peaceful drifting along.  My beautiful first mate Victoria, can now lounge on the starboard cockpit bench, whilst I grind the jib sheet and trim the mains'l on my own, in heaven with the peace of the season.  Merry Christmas!
'
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Reighnman

I attempted to remove all of the exterior teak on my Sunday Cat but found the trim around the companionway and the bottom pieces on the lazerettes bedded with some type of adhesive. Not sure the reason but it did change my plans. The boat was covered in varnish drips by one of the POs who may have do it blindfolded. She cleaned up nice enough and was able to get two coat of cetol on before temps dived below 50. Some other minor fixes were re-caulking the mast flange, locker was literally full when I got it. Have had two solid rain events and bone dry. I also did a repair that gives me no pride and only time and use will tell if works. The stub mast was missing about an inch from the sail track so I used JB Weld to create the missing section. I've hoisted the mast a dozen times and it seems to go without issue but issues like to present themselves when it's blowing 20knts, not in my driveway.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

bruce

Quote from: Reighnman on December 16, 2020, 06:13:40 AM
The stub mast was missing about an inch from the sail track so I used JB Weld to create the missing section. I've hoisted the mast a dozen times and it seems to go without issue but issues like to present themselves when it's blowing 20knts, not in my driveway.

Yup, that's a common damage with the Mastendr hinge. Most of the time the track is just bent, and can be reformed. These links cover it pretty well. The link to the the Com-Pac repair plates is busted, but it is the third link listed.
https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=11556.0
https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=11271.msg86256#msg86256
https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=8993.0

If your repair doesn't hold up, you could weld a new section in, or shape an aluminum dutchman (infill) and mount it in place fastened to the back of the CP repair plate. Before replacement, here's another option.
https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=11811.msg88869#msg88869
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Reighnman

Thanks Bruce! I stalked all of the old postings and had multiple calls/emails with Hutchins prior to purchasing the boat. Having this site and the actual builders of our boats is an incredible resource when embarking on projects. Their prices for parts seem to be just cost, it's simply amazing. If this repair fails, they suggest replacing the stub, $79 plus shipping. The only trick is getting it lined up correctly. The boat is covered in snow at the moment so nothing is happening in NJ at the moment.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

brackish

Well Mates, one should be cautious about being too smug when proclaiming that the boat is perfect, nothing to do as I did earlier in this thread.  Not long after that, I concluded that both batteries are dead and that the Guest 5/5 charger is also shot.  So the winter project is to install a new charger, build a new battery tray for a single but larger house battery, rewire all, including converting the switch to a single battery. More details in the boat and hardware modification section.

I think Tim is the only one who has a decent winter project plan.  Glad Admiral Vickie is approved for sea duty.