a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Trailer Axle

Started by crazycarl, October 06, 2020, 11:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

Etrailer doesn't carry the correct axle for the Hutch trailer supplied with our 19. 

Pacific Trailers contacted me this afternoon and they are going to make a new axle  3 3/4" longer to clear the springs and trailer frame.  They said I could keep the 1st axle they shipped.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

bruce

Thanks, Carl.

I'm glad they are covering their mistake. Hopefully the cold galvanizing will be OK. Lucky you, and extra axle.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

crazycarl

And the saga continues!

63* and sunny so I jacked up the boat and trailer, put stands under it and removed the old axle, leaf springs and everything in one piece.  The new leaf springs and axle went on very easy, then I ran into trouble while installing the hubs.  The first one wobbled. A lot.  Luckily I tried it on without packing the bearing with grease.  This morning I called, was told parts dept personnel weren't there yet, but they would call upon arriving.  Waited 2 hours and then called again.  Parts dept answered and and I explained and texted pictures and a video of the problem.  Manager wasn't there but I was assured he would call when he arrived.  Waited another 2 hours and called again.  Told the woman who answered no one ever calls me back and she put me on hold while the parts manager Sergio got to a phone.  I told what the problem was and asked if the other parts employee showed him the video and pictures, but of course he didn't.  8 minutes on hold while he searched for them and when he returned I as told they sent me the wrong axle, AGAIN!

So once again I'm waiting for another axle to arrive.  Sergio promised me I would have it by week's end, but I'm not holding my breath. 

Had I known it was going to be a 5 month ordeal, I would have signed up for welding classes at the community college, bought a welder and steel, and built a whole new trailer myself and would have it completed 2 months ago!   

PACIFIC TRAILER IN CHINO, CALIFORNIA.  NEVER give them your business!

Cpy23ecl

I can relate.  I ordered my eclipse trailer with 13" tires and disc brakes and discovered that Magic Tilt apparently didn't reposition for the 13" tires as opposed to the standard 10" tires.  Needless to say the tire rubs on the fender when it hits bumps.

Magic Tilt is sending me new fenders without mounting holes so I can drill the holes and mount myself, but still disappointing that I have to do this on a boat/trailer that hasn't even been in the water yet.

Fred

bruce

Sorry Carl, you did all that could be asked, and have been as patient as a saint. They still seem to accept, when pushed, it's their fault, as if there is any other reasonable scenario. You're playing them as well as can be done.

I need the same for my PC, and dread it. Turns out, Narragansett Bay is particularly salty. Even hot dipped parts are rusting after 10 years, with wash downs after every dunk.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

crazycarl

The 3rd axle arrived Thursday and I installed it yesterday.  Everything worked out and I picked up 2 steel fenders from Farm & Fleet.  I still need to install them, and they'll get a coat of rattle can primer as I don't have the time for a proper paint job.  I also need to road test the installation and then check the tightness of the bolts and nuts.  We leave for NC 2 weeks from tomorrow and hopefully the drive goes without trailer problems.

bruce

Sounds good, finally. I suspect you know already, but there are cold galvanizing spray cans, with a higher zinc content and minimal binder than primers. I believe they can be overcoated if that's important to you.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

crazycarl

Quote from: bruce on March 27, 2021, 07:01:16 PM
Sounds good, finally. I suspect you know already, but there are cold galvanizing spray cans, with a higher zinc content and minimal binder than primers. I believe they can be overcoated if that's important to you.

I know now!  Thanks Bruce!

kickingbug1

so you now have two extra axles, i should buy one from you
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

MacGyver

Any data on that axle as a end result? it looks nice, but I would hate to have all that trouble too.
also, How high is the bottom of the keep to the road?

I want to upgrade to a better axle tire combo but want to be sure that my boat would till fit in the shop door yet

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

crazycarl

I finally got the new fenders installed and took the boat out for a test run.  About 10 miles on back roads.  Some bumpy, some smooth.  What a difference!  She trailered so smooth!  I was afraid the heavier springs would have caused the boat to bounce, but with the larger tires she didn't bounce at all.  She bounced with the stock tires.   I also thought the fenders would bounce and shake as I did a rather crude install, but not at all. 

I highly recommend installing larger tires to anyone who trailers their boats long distances.  If we only trailered her an hour one way, I wouldn't have spent the cash, but at the time we were 2 hours from any lakes large enough to sail her.  Now that I spent the money, we'll be taking her to her new home in NC this Saturday and leaving her there.  Being only an hour from North Carolina Sailboats, I'm considering dropping her off there for some work.

And to answer MacGyver's question, the keel is 14" off the ground at the axle.

MacGyver

14 is right where my current one sits now, very interesting overall.

Any ideas where to purchase and what all you purchased in order to make a similar change? I'm definitely interested and I am sure others are as well due to the issues with he originals and smaller tires.

Glad it is all better now though man!!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

crazycarl

Quote from: MacGyver on April 09, 2021, 05:55:50 PM
14 is right where my current one sits now, very interesting overall.

Any ideas where to purchase and what all you purchased in order to make a similar change? I'm definitely interested and I am sure others are as well due to the issues with he originals and smaller tires.

Glad it is all better now though man!!

Mac

All the info is at the beginning of this post.