a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Trailer Axle

Started by crazycarl, October 06, 2020, 11:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

Has anyone found a reputable company for replacement axles for the Hutch trailers?  I have not been able to locate anyone in my area that can supply the correct size.  I would like to go to larger tires and a drop axle.  The only place I can find is Pacific Trailers in California, but they never answer their emails and when transferred to their parts department, I always get voicemail.  With that attention to customer service I'd rather go elsewhere.

TIA,  Carl
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

brackish

https://www.championtrailers.com/

https://www.easternmarine.com/

Have done online purchases with both of them but not for an axle

also:

https://www.amwtrailers.com/

I bought a trailer from them for my skiff, and they quoted a very good price on a 23 trailer which I didn't need but several folks had asked about.  They bought all the equipment from the trailer supplier that Hutchins was using at the time my boat was produced when they went out of business.  However not sure they do any shipped stuff, may just be on site.

crazycarl

Thanks Brack! 

I wonder why those didn't show up when I Googled Boat trailers?  I did get hits on semi trailers.  :o

Cpy23ecl

Might try http://www.axleinc.com/

They're in elkhart, in and were very helpful when I was considering changing to disc brakes on my travel trailer.  It turned out that a retrofit wasn't available for the axle I had and they were able to find a new axles with disc brakes that would work.  I haven't actually pulled the trigger to make the change yet but was impressed with their efforts to find a solution that would work.

Fred

MacGyver

I am interested in knowing how it goes for you Carl! I have had the same thoughts, and need to keep my height under 8 feet for sure. this way the boat would still go in the shop door yet.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

crazycarl

After many emails back and forth I was finally able to connect with Sergio and talk to him on the phone.  He got me the information I needed, (the actual diameter of their 15" tires) and I was able to place my order.
There was a lot of confusion because they ask for the original axle size, straight 2"x2" 3500lb, and I wanted a drop 2"x3" 5200lb axle, but needed the tire size to figure the correct drop.  After talking in person, evidently they didn't read the 6 emails I sent requesting either a phone call or they measure the tire size for me, Sergio measured the tire as I explained sidewalls can have different sizes with different weight ratings.

Taking into consideration the actual tire diameter and the larger axle, I went with a 5" drop as this would place the trailer within 1/4" of it's original height.

This is what I ordered:

1 - 5,200 lb Custom Trailer Axle, 2" x 3" Galvanized Tube #TA-5200G - 5"                                        $279.70

2 - Plated Trailer Hub KIT, 5200-6000lb. axles, 25580/67048 Bearings - 6"/5.5" #41120KIT              $126.66

2- Radial Trailer Tire, ST225/75R-15" D Galvanized Wheel (6 lug) & Radial Tire #Y600160                 $411.72

1 - Axle Tie Plate Kit with 6 3/4" Long, Square Stainless Steel U-Bolts                                                $43.80

Subtotal   $861.88
                                                                                                                               Shipping  $391.65
                                                                                                                               Taxes          $0.00
                                                                                                                               Total      $1,253.53

I decided not go with brakes as we've trailered her up and down the mountains several times and never had an issue with stopping.  They didn't have the leaf springs I need so I'll order them from Champion or elsewhere.

The difference between the 3500lb axle and the 5200lb. is $110 including upgrading the tires.

Once it arrives and I install it, I'll report back.

Christopher

I hope the trailer project goes well for you!  I couldn't wait on you so I went to Lake Erie without you bro. 

crazycarl

Quote from: Christopher on October 11, 2020, 09:49:03 PM
I hope the trailer project goes well for you!  I couldn't wait on you so I went to Lake Erie without you bro. 

Details!  We want details!  I'm sailing via everyone else this year. 

MacGyver

within a quarter inch is amazing really!
Please measure before and after on some spots, because if this is the way i might see about doing something similar sometime soon.

I have a 8 ft door and the boat fits just perfect, but I dont really want the tiny tires......

A new trailer by TRIAD is like 3 K, but I havent found a single person who owns one yet! :(

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

crazycarl

I couldn't find any trailer repair shops in my area so I  went with Pacific Trailers.  I talked to Sergio who stayed on the phone with me as we sent pictures back and forth with measurements until we were sure we had everything correct.   I placed the order on October 9, 2020 and the charged showed on my card October 10th.  On December 31st, I contacted Sergio asking what the delivery was looking like and he said he would get back to me.  January 12th I called again and was told the tires had just came that day (convenient) and everything would be shipped the 13th.   I never received any notice the items had been shipped so I sent an email stating if they didn't call me I would contact the credit card company to get my money back.  I received 4 tracking numbers the following day.  All the items arrived today and inspecting the axle, it appears to be 2 1/2" too short.  Not including clearance for the frame.  (drop axle)  the axle also appears to be painted silver rather than galvanized like ordered and paid for.  (scratches show shiny metal)  I'm in the process of trying to contact them now.

crazycarl

They called me back and I explained everything to them, now they're stating they don't work with sailboat trailers because nothing ever comes out right.  He did say he will talk to his boss and call me tomorrow.  The saga continues.

Christopher

Carl,
  Sorry to hear the news about your axle.  I hope it all turns out OK in the end. 

Vectordirector

Hey Carl,
Check out etrailer.com   They are in Wentzville, MO  about an hour west of downtown St. Louis.  Bought a couple of tires for my Eclipse trailer about 6 years ago.  First class service and they may have what you need.

Fair winds, 

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

nies

Used ETrailer a while back and rebuilt my trailer............tires and all.....prices right and first class sevice..............nies

bruce

+1 for etrailer.

Wow, good luck with Pacific Trailers. They measure different for sailboats?
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI