a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Barnegat Bay Bash 2018 'Part Deux' AUG_24-26_2018

Started by K3v1n, June 10, 2018, 09:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKBLK

The adventure continues... Saturday morning dawned bright and sunny. The promise of a perfect day. We (the BBB participants) enjoyed breakfast together having met up at what used to be Colonial Diner.

After breakfast, it was time to head out of Forked River for Barnegat Bay. I fired up the "loaner" Nissan and it ran great. It ran so well that I decided to motor all the way to Tice's. The main reason for not hoisting sail was that upon entering the bay, the chop was really big, the heavy powerboat traffic stirring up the bay. Besides, the Nissan was doing just fine and the CP16 was getting tossed around like a toy. Now, understand, Pegasus handled it all just fine, it was me that was also getting tossed around the cockpit. For sure, the CP16 is really well built!

After getting beat-up pretty good, I decided to call it a day and suffer the return trip to Forked River. Good decision... as I type this, I still feel the hurt!

Even though I wasn't able to stay the full weekend, I really enjoyed the company present. See ya at the mid-winter!

Marty K.
81 CP16 Pegasus

P.S. The folks at South Winds Marina in Forked River are really nice and helpful. The facilities are ***** and they even provide coffee, bagels and donuts, gratis.

P.P.S. Can't wait to see Kevin's video... soon on YouTube!
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

K3v1n

1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

JERSEY SHORE TRAILER SAILERS

Bob23

You did great Ryan! I've rowed in that, I know exactly how it feels. But to me it appeared you were out of the channel near the lighthouse, is that right or do have too much of that rum in me still??
And a very nice CP 25 you have there!!

Reighnman

Kev, thanks for the coming down and taking video of me! Bob you are correct, the channel does run tight against the jetty  but the flow of traffic and depth charts indicated it was very safe to cut the corner.

Marty, you were the bravest man taking the 16 out in all that boat wake! it was the like the NJ Turnpike on water.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

lkm

A fine night indeed.
Marty, we missed you.  You missed the moon (and the girls)!

Glad to hear that Ryan made it back against the wind, which was steady in the 20's on our way back and pushing in the wrong direction if headed south.  Hope you made it in before this.

Also glad to have Bob on board to warn me "Hey, I think that sailboat is about to hit you!" before it did hit me and took out a stanchion.  Nice guy, he felt awful and had insurance that should cover fixes, but lesson to the sailors - in close quarters, sometimes it's good not to be under full sail, and user your engine instead. 
2005 Eclipse #20 - Figaro

Reighnman

Bob sent a text about you uninvited visitor! Crazy how in such a large bay a sailboat could hit you anchored at Tices. Glad to hear damage was minimum.
The trip home was interesting. That south wind was gusting to 34 when I hit the southern end of LBI.  My saving Grace was a ripping outgoing tide. 30knots on the nose was no match for the narrow channel which pulled me along at 7mph  with the motor running at 2400rpms! South end of LBI is interesting as two bodies of water combine and push out into LE inlet. So that ripping tide that pulled me south became my enemy at the tip. Luckily it's a 90degree turn into my bay and the channel is much wider so the flow rate is diminished a bit. I unfurled a hankerchief and with the motor got me to 5mph. Once in the bay it was a great run into port. 6hr 35mins total.  Great times and thanks for having us over for drinks and I got to learn a new game!

K3v1n

Hey Larry, when Bob texted me about your encounter I didn't believe him at first. I'm thinking how could anyone run into you anchored so far out, that is just nuts! Glad no one got hurt.

It was a great time...video on the way!
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

MKBLK

Larry - Sorry I missed you out on the bay (and the girls!). I don't miss having to deal with the gusts on Sunday. As far as the moon goes, I think I saw one over my house Saturday night... probably the same one!

Ryan - Thank you so much for your generous invite, but I think I made the right decision to bail Saturday afternoon. I was really pooped. Got to cross the bay back to Forked River and drive home... both w/o traffic! Still needed a couple of Aspirins when I got home. I had aches in muscles I didn't know even existed.

As far as sailboats bumping, I was having plenty of trouble dropping the hook and having it dragged 30' before setting. Twice I was too close to Ryan and Bob. And then Kevin was almost tangling with Bob! Phew!

Waiting patiently for Kev's video.

Marty K.
Pegasus

P.S. Thanks for breakfast, Brian!
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

K3v1n

Oh Boy! I have a lot of footage. Think I'll do one main 'Feature Length' Bash video along with several shorts. :D
1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

K3v1n

'Film-making is a miracle of collaboration.' ~James McAvoy

Thanks everyone for coming out to the Bash and taking part it was a blast!

'A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.' ~Willy Wonka

1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

Reighnman

Awesome Video! Below are links to some of my pictures from the weekend. Need to take more people pictures!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aFL8zp2v9M6h1QS3A

https://youtu.be/EddUZRsSXtY   I'm sure Youtube will kill the music as some point.

Bob23

Wonderful cinematic and photographic coverage of this epic event! My personal thanks to everyone who attended and made this a special time! And special thanks to Marty aka Mr. Perseverance who has overcome seemingly insurmountable odds at nearly every Bash he's attended. This year, his engine and rigging treated him well.   
I hear whisperings in the wind of an impromptu BBB Part Trois! 

K3v1n

1981 Com-Pac 16 MK I

www.emptynestsailing.com
Panacea SailBlog

Bob23

Perfect coverage once again by video master Kev!It seems our Ryan may not have been paying attention during the knot class 101 or was it the rum? At any rate, his kayak decided to take a little voyage all on it's own and those two brave men ventured out into the dark of night to rescue the recalcitrant little vessel. As you can see, all ended well! Congratulations, men. Tales of your bravery will be told the world over!!!

MKBLK

Thank you, Ryan, for filling any gaps in my misadventures during the Barnegat Bay Bashes. If necessary, Larry's girls can probably provide some knot tying tips! I know they've been practicing diligently.

Marty K.