Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bonus is finally paid. And the winner is CP Picnic Cat

Started by Finbar Beagle, March 10, 2018, 09:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finbar Beagle

Folks,

I did extensive research to find a trailer friendly Com-PAC.  I am deeply in love with my CP 19, but it is slip bound in Barnegat bay, and i do not have trailer or big enough tow vehicle.  I looked very closely at the CP 16, but while cabin is great for wife potty activity, the 16 is also too heavy when fully loaded for my Subaru.

Well, as the wife will probly leave me anyway when she sees boat in driveway, I do love the Subaru, so decision is made.

Now hard part s to find a used one.

I am also going to explore purchasing new.  I am in mid 50's, so can rationalize as better no scaling down for retirement.

If new, any suggestions for the options?  Would like lazy jacks.  What is your impression of the metal rubrail?  I do like, and use often, the big rubber one on my 19 during docking.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

Reighnman

I was at Winter's in Riverside recently and they have either a Picnic or Suncat in the showroom. Cool little boats. Did a quick searchtempest.com look and there's one in Alabama for $2500. Road trip! Best of luck on your hunt.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

Finbar Beagle

Reign,

They also have a used one outside, but condition does not match asking price.

Now, with cash in hand, and before wife finds out, I will see if the asking price for the used on is negotiable.  I also have a good trade it to sweeten the deal.

bruce

Brian,

We bought our PC new in 2010, after comparing it to and sailing other easily trailerable and garageable catboats in production, the ThomCat 15 (formerly Menger 15), and the Marshall Sandpiper. We haven't regretted the decision for a minute. If we were keeping it on a mooring, we probably would have gone for the Sandpiper, but the PC is a dream to trailer behind my vehicle of choice, a small wagon, currently a diesel Jetta.

For options, we got a transom boarding ladder, Bimini, anchor roller, adjustable motor mount, and sail cover. We had Com-Pac upgrade the blocks to Harken, rig the throat halyard 2:1 to match the peak halyard, and leave off the stock locker latches which we didn't like. The broker had his sailmaker install lazy jacks, which double as a topping lift, which I've since modified.

I maintain a database of upgrades I've done since, now up to 42. Some are more involved, such as a rudder lift, hinged tiller, and midship boarding ladder, and some more basic. I'm working on a foiled rudder now. For the trailer, side bunks and LED lights top the list. Send me a personal message with your email address if you'd like a copy.

All the ramps we use have floats, and we rig fenders to protect the hull (dark blue). The rub rail doesn't come into play.

I moderate the Yahoo PC list, and I don't know of any boats for sale by the members there. I'll ask to see if there's a boat near you.

Have you had a chance to sail a PC?
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Finbar Beagle

Bruce,

Great insights here, thanks.  Boarding ladder and lazy jacks were aready in my focus, but having harken blocks and halyard ratio done by Hutchins is very good planning.

Do you use the Bimini often?  I am n NJ, and survive with my Tilley hat in the sun.  I Suffer from  Irish freckled skin and prone to bursting into flame, but I seem to manage on th CP 19 ok.

I have never sailed a gaff rigged cat, and have not even been on a PC that was floating.  I do sail a Bauer 12 with a ginter rigged main.  I am hoping to trade in this excellent and worthy boat to help defer the PC cost.

It is very interesting to note the lack of PC's in the used market, and those available are over 70% of initial cost.  Economically, this is a very rare time that it may make sense to buy new.

Regards, and thanks,
Brian

bruce

Hey Brian,

No, we don't use the Bimini. We share ancestry, and I can burn in moonlight, but I rely on my Tilley as well.

Given your extensive experience, you'll be able to handle a catboat without a problem, but it is a little different. I think Bill Welch's book is excellent in this. If you're still looking come later in April, I'd gladly give you a ride.
https://www.amazon.com/Competitive-Racing-Small-Gaff-Rigged-Catboats/dp/1419683829

If I hear of a boat for sale near you I'll let you know.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Finbar Beagle

Bruce,

Thanks for the "head up" on the book.  Will order soon.

I had a chance to look online at the anchor roller, and not sure the benefit outweighs the "ram" risk on the bow.  For me, it is no concern, but The Barnegat Bay Com-PAC squadren may have some anxiety at raft up time.  However the deck hawser  for storing the anchor chain and rode would be welcome.
Do you find it usefull and convenient to keep the anchor ready to deploy from the roller?
I no longer keep the anchor on the bowsprit roller on my CP 19, but this is due to 1) the layout of my slip and 2) It it easier to deploy from stern in emergency.  If I know anchoring is in the plan for the day, then it is on roller. 

Thanks again,
Brian

Bob23

bruce

We don't anchor often, but it is ready to deploy if needed in a tight situation. And it is cute. Installing a hawse pipe wouldn't be a problem, but the chain locker doesn't drain. If I was anchoring frequently, I'd do something different.

In the spreadsheet I mentioned, I do have a column about usefulness. IMHO, the most important mods for the most part aren't covered by the options Com-Pac offers.

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Finbar Beagle

Bob, you would be worrying if I was on a run, the big single sail belly full, and a  CP 23, sporting a few PBR's lying broadside at anchor.  It's dangerous to jibe those cats, so it may be a bit close.

Reminds me, been meaning to watch that galley scene  from Ben Hur again...

bruce

You'll love jibing the PC. Grab the sheet fall as it comes across and keep the other hand on the tiller so she doesn't round up, no drama.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Jon898

FB:

Good choice!

I've had mine for 18 years and never regretted it (downsized from a 28' Precision).  Initially towed with an Outback and had to keep looking back to see if the boat was still there it was so easy.  I've been wanting to install a bimini for about 15 years now (similar heritage) but have never got around to it...mainly for the days when the wind fades to a whisper and I start to overheat as the floppy hat doesn't help for that.  Started out with a 3hp 2-stroke and changed to a 30# thrust trolling motor 4 years ago...I'm retired so getting places fast doesn't factor any more, plus I believe in sailing a sailboat instead of turning it into a motor dinghy at the simplest excuse.  Putting the battery for the motor just aft of the mast and going with a really light motor also helps a bit with trim while single-handing as otherwise she'll tend to drag her stern a bit.

As Bruce said, gybing is nothing to fear and the high peaked gaff is not that prone to a chinese gybe anyway.  Going 2:1 on the throat halyard is a nice improvement, although after all these years I'm used to the difference; I did upgrade to Harken blocks after a couple of years as the Hutchins standard back then was high-friction and slightly undersized (cheeks too close to the line).  Mine came with Sunbrella covers for the centerboard casing and the tiller and both of those have probably saved many hours of varnish refinishing.

Enjoy your search!

Jon

brackish

Quote from: bruce on March 12, 2018, 07:35:28 AM
You'll love jibing the PC. Grab the sheet fall as it comes across and keep the other hand on the tiller so she doesn't round up, no drama.

The key phrase here is "grab the sheet fall as it comes across" .  On my 23 that sheet fall has a tendency to cause my Tilley to go in the drink.:(  Then you gotta come about and go fetch it.  One of the factors leading me towards mid boom sheeting.

bruce

We also use a boom vang to control the boom off wind. A little unusual on a catboat, useful for flattening the sail, but for me the biggest benefit is keeping the boom down in bouncy conditions from traffic or chop.

Jon's comments on undersized blocks and keeping on her lines fore and aft are spot on. I don't know what blocks Com-Pac is using these days.

The high gaff angle is great for catching wind up high, and allowing for a higher boom set, which my crew greatly appreciates, but the throat gooseneck slide, even with the extended ring Com-pac welds on, is pinched between the gaff and mast. The ring can bend, causing binding in the track as the slide is hauled, and I know of one case where it broke off from the flexing. There is a good solution using standard Dwyer parts if that is a problem.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Yamaha33410

go for the anchor roller...

I'm retrofitting one onto my 16 right now, as space is a premium on a small boat, hauling around and anchor out of the cabin gets to be very burdensome, I anchor almost every time I take my boat out... To keep the 16, anchor storage was an absolute must with the admiral...

I'm using the pass through hull deck fitting from a 23 onto my 16, to cure the non draining chain locker cabinet, requires a little thinking outside the box, or bucket shall we say... Mount a 5 gallon bucket up there to contain the rode.... if it gets too wet, remove bucket to drain...
1981 Compac 16

-West Palm Beach, FL