Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bonus is finally paid. And the winner is CP Picnic Cat

Started by Finbar Beagle, March 10, 2018, 09:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce

Brian,

I've heard from a PC owner who is interested in selling. The boat is currently at the Nyack Boat Club in Nyack, NJ. It's a 2014 with little use, and was unusual for me in that he launched with a hoist.

Contact me off list, and I'll provide his email.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Bilgemaster

Quote from: Finbar Beagle on March 10, 2018, 09:49:43 AM
Folks,

I did extensive research to find a trailer friendly Com-PAC.  I am deeply in love with my CP 19, but it is slip bound in Barnegat bay, and i do not have trailer or big enough tow vehicle.  I looked very closely at the CP 16, but while cabin is great for wife potty activity, the 16 is also too heavy when fully loaded for my Subaru.

Well, as the wife will probly leave me anyway when she sees boat in driveway, I do love the Subaru, so decision is made.

Now hard part s to find a used one.

I am also going to explore purchasing new.  I am in mid 50's, so can rationalize as better no scaling down for retirement.

If new, any suggestions for the options?  Would like lazy jacks.  What is your impression of the metal rubrail?  I do like, and use often, the big rubber one on my 19 during docking.

Thanks,
Brian

If you're actually really drawn to the CP-16 or using your own 19 as a trailer sailor, then one solution might be a better towbeast and/or a trailer for your 19.  You can buy those old Mark I (1998-2003) Dodge Durangos with the big 5.9 liter and 4 wheel drive for those slippery boat ramps all day long for about 2 "boat bucks" or less. Mine cost me $1,500 about 4 years ago and is still going strong.  In fact, I like it so much it's become my daily driver and rolling boat chandlery. Gas mileage is relatively horrific at 10 to 12 mpg overall, if you're a sedate and light-footed pre-geezer like me, but a Durango 5.9's allowed maximum tow capacity is between 5,900 to 7,400 lbs., depending on its factory package and tranny. It tugs my Com-Pac 16 along like it ain't even there. It could handily tow a little parade's worth of the things.  A few tips if you do go this route: avoid the 4.7 and 5.2 liter models (the then-new 4.7s were weirdly prone to fatal sludging of the oilways and the 5.2s were 2WD only), check the suspension and especially ball joints VERY carefully. Not super-expensive to put right, but it's still a pain in the ass that you can better live without. Check the transmission for absolutely perfect operation, any leakage and its fluid for a "burnt" look or smell.  Some numbskull might have put some flavor of the more readily available Dexron fluid into it instead of the proper Mopar ATF+4.  In fact, if you're planning on primarily relying on whichever Durango you may get for towing, then you might do well as job one to simply pump out a goodly portion of whatever fluid's in there with a hand pump right out of the dipstick tube and replace that with ATF+4 and a bottle of that Lucas Transmission Fix.  It won't get all of it out--there'll still be a bunch in the torque converter--but it'll still do it the power of good.

An old Ford Explorer or Chevy Suburban in the same price neighborhood (and it's a lousy neighborhood whose sidewalks are littered with crack vials and broken malt liquor bottles) might also do the trick, but I have no firsthand experience with either.

Finbar Beagle

Bilge,

All valid and good points.

For me, the CP-19 is best kept in water, for fast escape from real life (work, chores, family obligations).  Need fast cast off of dock lines before next cell phone/email slows me down.

The size differene between the 16 and 19 are too close.  Maybe 16 & 23 make sense (Bob in focus here).  19 and PC mean for lazy 4th of July raft up, 4 crew on the 19, and 6 on the PC gets 10 out at same time, while the 16&19 combo maxes at 8. 

Key for me to trailer is simple and Easy.  I think the Sunfish and PC lead all others here.  I have ramp launched my 19, and it is not so bad, but pardon the pun, it is no picnic either.

Finally, big tow vehicle days are over for me when I finally had to put my Ford Econoline 250 down.  It was too heartbreaking and I cannot do that again.  Boat in driveway is bad enough for Admiral Mrs. Wife, big truck would mean  i will be living on the 19.

I did donate the E250 and was able to view video of it being blown up during Army training.  It was the Van version of a Viking funeral, very appropriate.

Regards,
Brian
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

bruce

Six will fit in the PC cockpit, but 4-5 is more comfortable for me. I like the mid boom sheeting, but it is a factor with crew. The Sun Cat Daysailer will set up as fast, and give you more room. (It takes us about 5 minutes, ask any power boater who tries to sneak ahead of us.) Probably fewer out there than PCs, and 1,500 lbs. vs. 500+ lbs., so vehicle choice is effected. Your Subbie may be up to it.

And then there's the HC Daysailer, that'll take a crowd! All said, the PC does have a big, comfortable cockpit for 14', with great storage.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Finbar Beagle

6 is max, to watch fireworks, and touch of grog.  No need for more, trying to escape from the family , not bring them all alone....

Sailing 4 max, all good.

And thanks for great lead in Nyack.  So far so good.

Finbar Beagle

Made offer on Nyack boat, keeping fingers crossed...

bruce

Good luck!

We may get out for the first sail of the season on Friday. I've got a new foiled rudder to test out.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Finbar Beagle

Folks,

Just made it through Garden State Parkway South during Friday afternoon traffic, pulling our latest Compac, a 2013 Picnic Cat.  from the shores of Tappan Zee NY to Shark River Nj.

Wife did not kill me on sight, but now need to take her to dinner...
All good.

Talo and Bruce, thanks again for all the help.

Regards,
Brian

Bob23

Congrats! I bed Ellen and my Admiral would get along well. I'm always being accused of having too many boats...and my reply of "One wife, many boats" doesn't seem to be accepted well. Maybe I should scale down to one boat...many wives!! Ouch!!! I was kidding, dear...put that steak knife away!!!

bruce

That's great! I'm glad it worked out for both of you.

We did get out today. Not as much wind as forecast, to the delight of my crew. 6 kts. is a good minimum for a PC. We don't reef until the high teens, but even without the reef, gusts to 20 are OK. Chop is more limiting than wind.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Reighnman

Congrats Brian! And best of luck with the admiral. Are the other wives, oops I meant boats in your yard? Might want to move one out to a local marina. Ours charges $100 for summer storage in the trailer lot.
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

Finbar Beagle

Reigh,

My 19 is at Beatons Boat Yard, Mantoloking.  They are replacing my bow pulpit and installing CDI Jib furler.  When I bought this boat, the trailer, luckily, got her here.  Next stop for trailer was recycling, too much rust.  So this boat will live in Beaton's yard for winters, also as my Subaru is too small to tow.  I installed IDA rudder this year.  The 19 May feel like a new boat also.

Baeton's is also getting centerboard of Bauer 12, unstuck.  This was another reason to go to the Picnic Cat, as extra weight in centerboard should help prevent this, and the CB trunk can be opened to give access to free board.  Again, superior robustness from Hutchins. When fixed, this goes up for sale.  I am also selling a rowing dinghy, that has hardly been used.  I will hide kayak and canoe behind shed.  There is also a sunfish, but that has been in family for so long,and resurrected for several generation, it no longer counts as a boat, but as a family heirloom.

Hmmm, I guess I may have an issue, but boat storage is OK for now.

Regards,
Brian

bruce

Brian,

If a stuck CB is a concern, here's a couple of suggestions that have worked on a PC.

The only opening on the top of the welded SS trunk is the 1/2" pipe the pendant runs through. For a boat moored in saltwater, with the board stuck up, the fix was to fabricate a tool out of 1/4" rod. The end of the rod was peened flat, and a shallow, wide slot cut to engage the edge of the 1/4" CB, accessed down the pipe. A couple of whacks and the board was free. Don't know if it was hard growth or beach debris.

I've installed a shackle and short lanyard on my CB that hangs clear of the trunk with the board up. It's primarily to help with righting the boat in a capsize, since the board will slam back into the trunk if the boat turtles, but I can see it would also be useful to get a grip on the board to lever it out if it's jammed.

BTW, our CB can be dropped with the boat on the trailer, in our case a Magic Tilt. Your boat is newer than mine, so I'm guessing you have a Magic Tilt as well. Earlier PCs came with a Performance trailer. With the boat all the way forward on the trailer, a roller prevents the board from dropping, but if I slide the boat back 15" I can drop the board far enough to access the CB pendant. The trailer was hitched to the car, so there was some control if the tongue wanted to lift, but neither the boat or trailer showed any signs of tilting. I did tie the bow down to the trailer, and block up the transom, so I could work safely. To install the lanyard on the leading corner of the board, I only slid the boat back about 9".

The other sticking CB issue I found, when I first got the boat, was I'd raise the board as I approached the ramp and the pendant would get very tight. Figured that meant it was all the way up, but later found otherwise. I suspect the pendant was getting caught/jammed on something, possibly the zincs (not all PCs have them). The fix was, if I felt the pendant tightening, I'd drop the board back down a bit and try again. The pendant shouldn't get tight until you hear the board hit the top of the trunk with a loud thunk. No problem since.

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Finbar Beagle

Folks,

So ends my search.  photo of "Patxaran", a Spanish Basque potent, sloe berry favored liquor, is below.

Unfortunately, she will be renamed, per admiral's requirements, and according to renaming ritual.

Bruce, thanks for the centerboard info.  Great stuff there.

Regards,
Brian

Finbar Beagle

I forgot to list options:
Boat and sail cover (red)
Transom ladder
Lifting bridle and factory installed lift points , these are 2 Of the same stainless bow eyes used to attach the  Forestay.
Floatation bags, (6)
Flow max ball scuppers-installed by previous owner (PO)
Fixed motor mount
Magic tilt trailer
2 hp Honda short shaft

Equipment:
(2) mushroom anchors- stored forward for weight balance.  PO thought more functional than sandbag.
All lines, several bumpers, step ladder, telescoping paddle,

This season to do list:
Add tiller tamer or clutch
Change locker hooks to locking one
Replace battens
Monitor sail track on mast, like others, this was slightly opened when boom and gaff not properly stowed when mast was folded.  PO rationalized that this made putting sail on easier, so need to keep eye on it.
Mount existing Torqeedo 503.  Extra battery stored in bow locker.

Future changes:
May need adjustable motor mount.
May replace red stripe...when time to replace boat/sail covers