a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

All propane

Started by jdklaser, February 17, 2017, 04:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdklaser

Thinking about going all propane with a Lehr 5 hp LS and an LL Bean O grill.  Thoughts?

wes

Make sure you listen to a Lehr before you buy. They are noisy; to my ear noisier than a conventional gas OB. That was a deal killer for me. Wishing somebody else would give Torqeedo a little competition in the electric outboard market to drive the price down.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

jdklaser

Thanks, Wes.  I appreciate the input.

moonlight

There is competition for Torquedo on the horizon; a group from Hong Kong has reportedly been doing it in Asia and Europe for 20 years and they're headed here.
Haven't seen any more than a brochure and website, but should have a 6 next month...

jdklaser

Electric is nice.  I like the idea of having the same fuel for power and cooking, a bottle of propane.  Clean is also a factor.   I did some research and found that Lehr has upgraded a lot of the plastic parts that were causing problems with earlier models.  No smell, no mixing gas and oil and portability of fuel.  The O grill is neat, portable and small, but can get the job done.  It's the most popular grill in the apre hockey parking lot weekly cookouts with my friends.  As Forrest Gump would say, "one less thing."

Potcake boy

Don't know what boat you have, but if you are planning on a propane outboard motor and grill, you may consider the use of a bigger tank. I'm assuming that you intend to use the grill in the cockpit. Then there are grills designed for use on a boat that mount on the rail out of the way and probably in the same price range.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

brackish

A couple of things.  You know you can buy a new brand name outboard and a conversion kit for propane and have the same thing for less money and better parts availability and cost.  Depending on your cruising profile you should look into the storage volume per BTU between gasoline and propane and make sure you can carry enough to do what you want to do.  You also know that the propane has to be stored in a manner that would let all system leaks "drain" overboard rather than into the bilge.  As far as the grill goes, I have a magma kettle that clamps on the rail that I really like as it keeps it out of the way, and it cost about the same as what you are suggesting.   It is supplemented with one of those stainless steel butane stoves (think $30) which is used in the cabin on the slide out stove tray.  I find that combination to be all I need.

jdklaser

Boat is a Sun Cat.  The 5hp Lehr is built with a special delivery lot for a propane bottle.  One less thing.  I almost always sail off and to docks and moorings so my use is primarily getting through tidal cuts and to difficult docking situations.  Lehr 5 hp is on sale now for 1399.  Use of the boat is for gunkholing on Nantucket and Vineyard Sound.  The O grill has a nice low profile that fits well in a canvas bag and can be carried on and off the boat for use anywhere.  Mount on the boat will use either off of the gallows stanchion or out of a flush mounted rod holder.  Question:  does the propane conversion void the warranty on an out board engine.  Also I'm assuming that a conversion only works for 4 strokes?

brackish

I almost always sail off and to docks and moorings

You are lucky, my slip is way to congested to attempt that and I often have to motor several miles down a finger to get out to the main lake to find some wind to sail.

I can't say about the warranty.  I was on a cruise with a person who did this, but he converted an older motor, four stroke I'm sure, and his was out of warranty when he did it.  I've never had an outboard that needed warranty work within the period, but certainly doesn't mean it can't happen.  If it does, it would probably be on the fuel system.:)  The reason I suggested a capacity check is I remember he had a case or two of those little green bottles in his cockpit during the cruise.  But there was a good bit of motoring on that particular cruise.  The other thing I remember is that he never had any start or run problems with the propane.

hoddinr

JDKlaser,

Are you saying there's a mount for the O-Grille to attach to the vertical support for the boom gallows?  Where do you find that.
I like that the grill will fit into our SunCat cockpit lockers.

Ron

jdklaser

No.  The mount will be from a rod holder attached to the gallows stanchion  or out of a flush mounted rod holder.  Made of marine plywood.  Simple and sturdy. 

jdklaser

Anybody use the Coleman propane coffee maker?  Looks like it may do the trick.  Thanks

Potcake boy

My wife is a coffee drinker so when we go on a cruise we use one of those Melitta coffee filter holders that sit on top of the cup. Works great, just pour your hot water in and voila. Easy to store and no cleaning other than a quick wipe.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water