a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP27 Mainsail Reefs?

Started by Jma1_nemo, February 17, 2017, 11:33:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jma1_nemo

I have a question on the CP27 mainsail's I'm hoping the CP27 veterans can help with.   I believe my mainsail is OE (2002) and was made by AirForce.   It has one reefing point (no Cunningham). I am guessing that was the standard configuration for CP27's.  Have CP27 owners been happy with the single reef point?  Is there any consensus on adding or needing a second reefing point?   Cunningham? 
Since there is only one reefing point on this sail, is it possible that the design reduces sail more, than if there were two reefing points designed into the sail to begin with, if that makes any sense? So let's say in a two reef design, the first reef reduces sail by 20% and the second reef reduces another 20%.  I am wondering if on a single reef design, say it reduces sail by 30+%, so in adding another reefing point the resulting reduction is not that much.
I think my sail is in pretty good shape for it's age, so I am considering adding a second reef point. I have several quotes to add the reef point, running from the $150ish to $250ish plus shipping of course.

Tney88

My original mainsail was by AirForce, and had a single row of reefing points.  When I had a new mainsail made, I had a second row put in.  I only keep the first row rigged with a reefing line, but  I could use the second row if I needed to with just a bit of improvisation.  I haven't used the second row to date, but given that I sail in the fall in the Salish Sea, where it can get windy, I like having the option. 

Terry Ney
CP 27 "Paradiso"
Veneta, OR
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

Jma1_nemo

Terry,  where is the 2nd reef in comparison to the original single reef? Can you give me a SWAG as to how high or how much % reduction each reef point is?
Thanx
J Alley

redfishnc

My 2 cents for me is the second reef is needed.  Am having it put in now for 125/150 at a local shop, Allison Sails in Wilmington, NC.  Sailing along the NC coast in the Atlantic I think it will make for more comfortable sailing for my skill level.

wes

Jma - I have always relied on the experience of sailmakers to determine where to put the reef points. Unless you are a racer or otherwise obsessed with performance, or are planning a solo circumnavigation, I wouldn't worry about boat-specific differences in reef locations; most sailmakers know what to do. I've ordered new sails from National Sail twice, requested two reefing points, and what they did was just fine.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

relamb

At what conditions do you need the second reef?  I've only been a few times when I felt I needed the first reef.
Rick
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

BobK

I use the second reef at 25+ wind speed.

BobK

wes

I hope never to need reef #2. But I'm glad I have it - purely insurance for a very bad day.

We
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

deisher6

Hey for what it is worth....Both of the mainsails that I have had on our recent C-27 have been OEM, Johnson Sails. One was 1986 and the other 1988.  The boat, a 1986, has the boom set up for two reefs.  When I get a new main, I think that I will just get one reef.  I have reefed several times, the one reef has been enough.  I think that I would find something else to do if a second reef was required.

regards charlie

Tney88

Currently the mainsail is bagged up in storage, so I can't check it, but it's pretty close to being the same distance from the tack of the sail to the first reef point as it is from the first reef point to the second one.

Terry Ney
SV Paradiso
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR