a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

UNEXPECTED GUEST

Started by sjaffess, January 31, 2017, 12:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaffess

Went sailing the other day on Lake Weir (near Ocala)  I carry my electric motor with me since my last motor was stolen.  I attached it to the motor mount and fed the electric line thru the vent into the rear compartment where I keep my battery.  When I removed the two wooden slats covering the opening, I was confronted with a large Water Moccasin. Luckily I had a mop handy and was able to keep the snake confined to that small area.  We had a struggle and the snake lost.                                       I didn't know what kind of snake it was till I got home and checked the internet.       (brownish with colored bands and triangular head - highly venomous) Had I realized this, I would not have confronted him and probably jumped overboard.      I didn't know snakes liked to sail.

Bilge Rat

Wow - hard to beat that for a scare.  I understand that they are one of the meanest snakes around.
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

hoddinr

Wow!  That's a real scary snake story!
I always wonder if a python could get aboard when I'm sailing Nomad down in the Everglades, but I've never even seen one.

Ron

Tom L.

Hey guys, it's Florida, we got snakes and Gators too. But that is an unusually scary story. I have sailed Lake Weir many times seen those critters but usually they stay away from boats and particularly people. But Water Moccasins are know to be aggressive when confronted. You done good with that mop handle.

I know it's not P.C. but in my eyes the only good snake is a dead snake.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Bob23

Indeed Tom and I agree. I'm highly allergic to wasps and bees. A few years ago I was out sailing early spring and put on a sweatshirt I keep down below only to disturb a bee who had taken up residence there. He was not pleased that I disturbed him and let me know by stinging me! Drat...and no Epipen on board. I did 2 things: checked my watch and said a few words to the Father just in case I'd be meeting Him face to face. Well, 20 minutes later I was still alive so that was a good thing and I'm still here blabbing along as usual. The moral: keep an epipen in my boat box and a mop on board!!
When it comes to bees: I kill first, ask questions later.
Bob23

Potcake boy

Bob,

You probably ticked off that bee when you called her "Honey".

I think many of our little animal cousins like sailing. I've had birds raise their young in one boat (messy housekeepers), and wasps are a constant concern. It seems Kevin Kostner found the perfect insect free sailing. Maybe that's why he decided to leave that paradise island and the sweet chick.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water