Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Suncat advice?

Started by NHsuncat, January 23, 2017, 07:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHsuncat

Greetings Suncat owners!

I live in Hanover NH and recently purchased by first Compac - a 2013 Suncat named Elli. The boat was initially purchased in New Jersey and then spent a year in Durham NH. It seems like its in great shape and has the Idasailor rudder and lazy-jacks. I plan to sail it on lakes Mascoma and Sunapee and then trailer it to Casco Bay in Maine.

Thankfully it fits in my garage so I am enjoying evening cocktails in the cockpit with a portable heater and a fake palm tree, etc... Just like Florida, right?

I am hoping to do some work on it this winter / spring and would love to ask the group here for some advice as I have not yet sailed the boat as is.

Here are some possible projects:

1. The boat came with a compac anchor roller and hawser hole. I am planning to install these with 3M 4200 as well as a lewmar anchor lock. For ground tackle I have a 13# Rocna with 20' 1/4 chain and 200' 3/8 anchor rope. I know this is a bit oversized but  for overnights on Casco Bay seems reasonable. Any advice about backing the screws with washers for the anchor roller?

2. Install Ritchie Navigator compass - i know its big but easier to see with aging eyes. I am right handed so think i might put it on the port side.

3. I picked up a new Thetford 260B porta-pottie but it is just a pinch too tall so does not fit. hmm. Any suggestions? I don't plan on using it but the Admiral or cadets might.

4. Magma party size kettle grill with attachment to boom gallows - is this too close to the cockpit gas storage? I considered adding a flush mount closer to the cabin but the idea of drilling a big hole in the side of the boat makes me nervous.

5. I have a heavy duty folding ladder that hooks nicely on the side of the cockpit and which seems like it might be easier than climbing up the one on the back. Is the boat stable enough to get into it this way?

6. The teak has never been oiled. I am wondering about Cetol vs Teak Oil. I can see there has been some debate on this on the site. I'm undecided but open to suggestions.

7. Does anyone have the Compac mooring cover? Does it keep the boat dry in outside storage?

8. The boat has no electronic which is fine but i would not mind a depth meter other than the lead line. Anyone use the handheld units that look like flashlights?

And lastly...

I am interested in creating some kind of tent so I can leave gear in the cockpit when it rains. I am considering getting the stock bimini and then putting a tarp over the top vs trying to make some kind of boom tent using the boom gallows and a hoop from midship cleat to midship cleat. I have seen some nice photos of these on the site before.

Phew... that should keep me busy for a few months. Suggestions welcome and hope to meet some of you sometime.

Thanks,

Jonathan

captronr

Welcome,

I'll tackle the last item  you mentioned.  About 4-5 years ago, we had a boom tent made by Lee Sail Covers (online) from material called Weathermax80.   It's not cheap, but it has been on our boat daily for at least 4 summers and is holding up well.  It is water tight and breatheable.

Essentially, it is like a tarp, with reinforced seams and grommets. 

IIRC, the material comes on a roll five feet wide, so depending on the size you want, you end up paying for the drop off material as well.  We had them send us the drop off, which was enough for us to make a bimini sock.

Hope this helps.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

Catawampus

Before installing the compass, you might consider a hand held gps instead.
That's what I use on my Sun Cat with the customizable display set to show speed in knots, course in compass degrees, and time of day. Font is large enough to see without my reading glasses.

Tom L.

I am not exactly sure if I had the same porta pottie but I removed the lid and it just slide under the bridge deck.

When I added a teak anchor roller I had some 2"x 1/4" Aluminum Bar. I made 2 x 2 x 1/4  square back up plates. I used a 14# delta as the primary anchor.

I used a hand held GPS as a primary compass and a Puck style hand bearing compass as back up.

The only electronics besides the hand held GPS was a Norcross hawkey sounder. It's a very basic and inexpensive sounder. I glued the transducer to the inside of the hull with silicone after sanding away paint.

I did away with the monster battery in the fore locker and used a jump starter from Harbor freight. It is very light and easy to carry ashore for recharging. Much easier to deal with than a big battery.

I have always used sikkens cetol finish for the teak. I keep the boat covered, it is in Florida, and the finish would need a light sanding and recoat every other year.

I trailer sail so the boat is on it's trailer with the mast down when not in use. This makes it very easy to cover with a rectangular tarp. I have found that the silver tarps are much better particularly in the Florida sun and heat as they reflect the suns rays and are much cooler under the tarp than any other type. The size tarp I used was 18' x 11'-6". I use 24" bungee cords and lots of them and hook them to the trailer. The really good ones bought on line last maybe three years. The cheaper ones maybe two. Either way for a few bucks they are throw aways  when they start getting thin. The boat should be dry without the tarp but it will keep it dry. I did the tarp to keep the intense Florida sun off the teak and fiberglass.

I recently sold my Sun Cat. I can assure you it was a great boat and I am sure you will enjoy but I needed a little more room in the cabin. I couldn't sit up down below. I am still hooked on Cat Boats. My new , for me, cat boat is a 1997 Menger 19 complete with a yanmar diesel.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

NHsuncat

Thank you for these quick replies. I will look into some better backing material than just washers and will also look into some handheld GPSs. I'm also glad to know that a 13# anchor is not too crazy. Lets think spring!
J

Bilge Rat

I second the use of an inexpensive tarp for covering the boat while on the trailer.  I buy the white poly tarps online, 16 x 20 if I recall, and each one lasts about a year.   If you are interested in a bimini I have a nearly brand new Sun Cat bimini I bought through the factory that I am selling.  it's the khaki color Sunbrella and includes frame and all mounting hardware. 

'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

Ken J

How tall is your garage door opening - I thought the suncat would not fit in a standard garage

Bilge Rat

There is a 'garage package' option that basically allows disassembly of the mast stub portion thereby lowering the height of the boat. Maybe his boat has this option?
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

patfurr

Ken J, I do not have the garage package and my SunCat fits in under my residential standard garage header and door....barely.  If I recall I measured the clearance at 8 feet even so I need to go nice and slow coming up over the small curb between the drive and the garage floor but sure nuff' she fits.  The closest clearance is the mast running lights.  I put the trailer on dolly jacks and then can maneuver her around and push her sideways into the back of the garage and still fit both cars.  My garage is extra deep but not exceptionally so.  Sure keeps her Bristol fresh. 
Impulse III

Tom L.

Lucky you.I think you have a higher interior garage than normal. Most interior walls are built using 8' tall sheet rock and the roll up door is usually 7'. An 8' door wouldn't work with 8' high walls.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Ken J

Yea - I figured your garage height was more than 7' - mine is 7' as well :-)

oceanroadus

Hey Jonathan, I think you will love the boat! We have had ours about a year and it keeps getting better with small additions and all the fun custom modifications you can think of or get off this forum and internet.  The boats are super stable, seaworthy and easy to sail.  Here is what I went with instead of the porta potti that came with our boat.  I just hated the thought of lugging the sloshing thing in and out not to mention the smell if you are overnighting.  Plus it takes up a lot of space. We use a wag bag dry system.  You can buy them on amazon or outdoor gear or camping stores.  I think clean waste Go anywhere toilet is the cheapest.  It is a bag system and you can buy a fold up toilet stand with it.  The bags have powder that will solidify/gel the waste (liquid or solid).  The bag with the waste goes in another sturdy ziploc type bag in the kit and then it can be thrown in regular trash when you get on shore.  I have a small 3 gallon bucket with a screw top lid that snaps onto a standard bucket (they sell to store pet food, etc.) that we keep all our trash in so you don't even know its on board. I built a step for where the porta potti goes and the fold up toilet fits right under the step.  I had room for a drawer above the step as well.  It works for us and no porta potti to mess with when you get back.  Fair winds and enjoy!

Wood frame and cushions.
Sunday Cat "Tik Tik"

Previous boats: "Cherry Red" 14' sailing canoe, Suncat "Teala", Legacy "Santosha"

oceanroadus

I wanted to add this suggestion too, if you build a wood frame and make cushions (home depot online has 3" foam that is the same height as the factory stuff) or have custom cushions made up, you can make the whole cabin a bed.  We are small people so believe it or not my wife, 2 small kids and I can sleep overnight comfortably.  It would be good for two larger adults as well I suppose since the Suncats have so much beam it is like a queen size bed! I made the frame out of plywood and it was quite a bit of puzzlework but it fits in the storage area under the step on either side of the centerboard trunk.           
Sunday Cat "Tik Tik"

Previous boats: "Cherry Red" 14' sailing canoe, Suncat "Teala", Legacy "Santosha"

NHsuncat

Thank you for all of the potti advice - I think I will try the bag system.

In terms of the garage - I think it's a standard door and the boat barely fits and only if I initially reverse my hitch so the bow is high and the boom gallows is lower than usual. Once inside the door all is fine. I also have a load rite trailer with 13" wheels which I think is different than stock and that might make a difference.

Ken J

Thanks for the garage info ! I have a compac 16 that I keep in a nice storage unit - problem is the door height is only 7' - been thinking about getting a Suncat - may have to figure another place to keep as I don't like keeping outside - I know I could get a nice cover - :-)

Ken J