News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Why did Compac stop making the 25? Were there problems?

Started by miamiman007, January 07, 2017, 06:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miamiman007

I'm looking at used 23's and 25's. I can't find anything on the internet about the 25. I like the looks of the boat but am concerned that production was discontinued after so few units were built. Can you help me understand?

BruceW

I heard this a few years ago from a dealer; may have some details wrong, but basically, the 25 cost close to what a 27 does to make, but they can't get near that amount of $ for it, so it wasn't as profitable a line. The factory decided the gap from 23 to 27 was something they'd prefer having.

Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Shawn

I had heard the same... didn't sell well and were a little out of proportion looking. I believe I read that the hull was built from the Watkins 25 molds so you could look into them as well.

Shawn

NateD

Quote from: Shawn on January 07, 2017, 08:59:47 PM
I had heard the same... didn't sell well and were a little out of proportion looking. I believe I read that the hull was built from the Watkins 25 molds so you could look into them as well.

Shawn

I am also under the impression that it is a Watkins 25 hull at least. And yes, they do look a little out-of-proportion to me too, but that is the cost of standing headroom in a 25 foot boat. Images below are a 23 next to a 25.

Restharrow

I own CP 25 - Hull #5.  You are correct the hull is based on the Watkins molds.  We've owned her for three years and found her quite sea worthy and a wonderful cruising boat.  We sail Lake Champlain in Vermont and off the Maine Coast.  It's great that we can trailer her. Ours has the extended Galley, which makes a smaller STB Qtr berth.  We'll be taking an extended cruise this summer in Maine in June.  She may be for sale after that.  I build small boats - check out Facebook "Restharrow Farm and Boatworks - and have a new Herroshoff 12.5 take off and may be using her a lot more than the CP 25.  Our is FULLY loaded, completely rebuild trailer with new electric brakes on all four wheel, with new tires, and all new bearings.  Just in case there's any interest after June this year.  Lots of pics available that I can email.
CP 25
Lake Champlain, Vt. and coast of Maine
FaceBook RestHarrow Farm and Boatworks

Craig Weis

The molds ware out and it cost a pile of money to make a new mold.

Q. And, why did Com-Pac Yachts stop making the 25?

A. Why did people stop buying them?

Best guess for me. But I really have no clue.

Craig Weis

frank

3 issues.....in their proper order:
1-cost to build was getting so close to the 27 it no longer made sense
2-the hull mold was getting tired and needed attention (read investment)
3-lack of demand

Confirm the Watkins hull was a for sure...
ComPac totally retooled the cabin/deck

There were no issues with this boat.
It was somewhat tender with the shoal keel and as expected, gave up several degrees pointing ability to shallow draft. Other than that, a finely finished 25!
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

marc

frank

Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

marc

moonlight

I don't know why they said sales were slow.  I bought TWO!

2000 models, identical in fit and finish except one trimmed emerald green and one navy blue.

Both with Hood Seaflex roller furling (helped them work some bugs out there), Edson wheel steering, Westerbeke 12CTwo engines, H/C Pressurized water, full heads.

The start of a central Gulf Coast ComPac dealership and sailing school to boot.  Katrina x-ed that part of my business, but the boats fared fine.  Sold one years ago it went to Michigan I think; I still have the other.

Lying New Orleans (area) for anyone interested.  Very lightly used, but now a 17-year old.  She was sailed for lessons and skippered cruises and family events 2000~2003.  Dry stored until 2008.  Launched due to uptick in charters/lessons right before the recession.  Been in the water since, but too many kids now.  One day they'll sail her if you don't buy her.  They, or some other kid, still details (compound and wax) annually.  Sails stored below.  Engine cranks every time...

I'd also sell partnerships or shares in her, but in that case she'll move to the middle keys to be stored mast-up on a trailer.  Drive down, launch, have fun, retrieve, go home...

Bob23

Restharrow

Marc,
Sorry for the late reply.  My CP25 has wheel steering.
Steve
CP 25
Lake Champlain, Vt. and coast of Maine
FaceBook RestHarrow Farm and Boatworks

moonlight

I don't know Bob; we'd have to stand next to her and talk about it! I sold one a few years back for near $25 with a CP23 in trade; so that could be anything from $35~40 depending on perspective more or less?