a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Peaksails

Started by Reighnman, November 18, 2016, 04:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reighnman

I've seen several people have suggested this company for sail replacement. I was trying to stay local with my purchase but the estimate for a new main was $800 which is basically double what the cheap sail offered by this company is going at. Can anyone speak to the quality and is there a noticeable difference (For a below average sailor) between the three offerings listing, aside from a second reef point?

Here's a link to the sails for the CP 19: http://www.peaksailsna.com/com-pac/com-pac-19-2-19-3/
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

Lafayette Bruce

I would stay away from Peak Sails.  I purchased a headsail for a non ComPac boat and sent Peak pictures of the old sail with a tape measure next to it and when I got the sail the luff was 14" too long.  The sail was unusable.  After some dickering back and forth they admitted their error and took the sail back for a rework.  The second time I got it the luff was correct but the leach and foot were a little short but the sail was usable.  The boat was always slower than her peers.  Oh well.
If you do go with them be VERY specific about the dimensions you want the sail made to and then inspect it as soon as you get it.
Since this Peak issue, I have purchased sails from National and have been very pleased.
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

Potcake boy

I outfitted my 19 with a new main and jib from Dirk at National Sails, and was 100% happy with the entire transaction. Dirk is extremely knowledgeable and understood my needs exactly in our phone conversation. The sails came out just as I had requested and were well built. I never had a bit of problem with them and the price was very reasonable. One of my friends and I owned a Suncat for which Dirk made a new sail. Not only was the difference in her performance remarkable, but again the built quality was excellent and everything went according to plan. Other friends who have purchased from National have never expressed any regret, so I have 100% faith in Dirk at National Sails.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Gerry

National Sails met and beat my expectations on both price and quality.  The boat loves National.

Gerry
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

Reighnman

Thanks for the advice, I'll give them a call on Monday.

kickingbug1

i bought two mainsails from national and although i was pleased with both my advice is to be very specific on the dimensions and options. the sail i purchased for my catalina 18 is fine but i made a mistake in assuming something would be done that wasnt. i specified that the top two battens were full length and assumed that the bottom two battens would be horizonal rather then at an angle. you guessed it the top two are horizonal and the bottom two are at an angle. the sail works fine it just looks a little odd.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Potcake boy

Kbug - Don't know why, but two upper full battens is a trendy option suggested by many sailmakers. I'm thinkin' they should all be full length for optimum sail shaping. The full battens have the benefit of being supported by the mast, and can, therefore support the roach easily, plus they play an important role in shaping the sail, and sail shape should best be horizontally oriented. Conventional battens need to be perpendicular to the leach to best support the roach. I'm sure that you would have gotten a little resistance had you requested that the lower two be horizontal as well. The next time you're on the water take note of the sails using full-length battens on the top two positions and you'll see that they are all probably the same as yours. Most technical advancements look goofy until you began to appreciate their function.

IMO the very best set up is a loose footed sail with full length tapered battens. You can control sail shape with your outhaul, and the taper keeps the max chord depth in the correct location. However, tapered battens are hard to find because they are labor intensive custom built and therefore expensive, and aren't promoted by sail shops. Fortunately for our humble craft, such an expensive performance option makes little sense.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

mattman

curious, who was the local loft?

Reighnman

Bob23

Welcome fellow New Jerseyan! I'm in Ocean County, near LBI.
  I had Linthicum build  a sail cover for me for a gift for my son's Irwin Free Spirit. It never fit well...much too small. I was puzzled...I thought they had a good reputation.
  When it came time for new sails for my 1985 23/2, I chose Eggers Sailmakers in Perth Amboy. Familiar with the conditions I sail in, Dave built them custom for those winds and my boat. He insisted on seeing the boat in person and measuring. They fit perfectly and the performance was so much improved that it felt like a different boat. 4 or 5 years later and they are holding up well. They have since retired and now Dave works out of Cedar Creek doing small boat sails, rigging and the such.
Sail on...Bob23

peterg

I've had sails from Eggers and Linthicum, and they were absolutely excellent!  I would not hesitate to have either build me a new set of sails........oh, that's right- my current boat has no sails!!
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

alsantini

Let me add my two cents worth.  I have no knowledge of PeakSails but have a very positive relationship with Mack Sails in Stuart FL.  I bought a full set for my Precision 21.  They were perfect!  I discussed the build with them prior to the order and went with their suggestions of a second reef, one full batten, and foam luff.  Cost was comparable with 2 other quotes I received.  I am in the market for a set of sails for my 2007 Eclipse and will again go with Mack Sails.  BTW, they entered the picture when my previously ordered sails from Pointe Sails never arrived.  Pointe jacked me around for 6 weeks until finally I cancelled and contacted Mack.  Mack was more money but it proved to be well worth it.  I really got a case of buyer beware.  Sail On