a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New padding for our vee berth.

Started by steve brown, November 30, 2006, 10:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve brown

With the original vee berth cushions in place, I have always had a struggle getting forward in the cabin. I have replaced them with Thermarest camping pads from LL Bean. These pads are a pleasant soft green, 25 inches wide and have a ribbed surface. I used the original cushions for a pattern, maximizing the surface area for each pad. I cut them out on the generous side with a seam down the center. A final trim with them in place made the fit perfect They fit flush with the wood trim above the front of the quarter berths and follow the hull line right up to the anchor rode locker. The ribbed top and bottom surface will permit adequate ventilation under the pads. Now I can actually crawl on my hands and knees to go forward to open my hatch and set the hatch strut. The pads are soft enough for kids to sleep also. I also made two mahogany shelf units that attach to both the hull batten and the lip of the cabin port liner.
I will try to post some pictures when I learn how to do it or get help. It is nice having my boat next to my garage shop to make off-season improvements.
Best Holiday wishes to all.  Steve