a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What does your boat weight?

Started by Roger Schwake, November 24, 2006, 10:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Schwake

This fall the travel lift operator said my boat weight gust over 9,000 pounds. On the way home with the boat on the trailer I stopped at a truck stop and pulled across there scales. The total weight for truck, trailer and boat was 15,620 pounds. After dropping the trailer and boat the truck weight was 5,740 pounds. So the boat and trailer weight is 9,880 pounds. I build the trailer that is under the boat and guess it to weight about 1,500 pounds. That leaves my boat at 8,380 pounds. The factory figures for our boats is 6,000 pounds. I had maybe 20 gallons of water and 5 gallons of fuel on board and just the normal amount of other stuff. The boat seams to float on its water line if anything a little high. Anyone out there have any idea what there boat weights? This just sound a little heavy to me.

atrometer

Why don't you weigh your trailer then you'd know for sure.  The weights by manufacturer I believe to be accurate.  Wate is 8 #/Gallon, Fuel about 6#/Gallon, other stuff adds up VERY fast.

Roger Schwake

Living up north here my boat won't be off the trailer till next spring, so can't check the weigh till then. There is no way I have 2,000 pounds of stuff on board this boat.

Steve W.

I weight the boat and trailer some time ago 9600, figure trailer weight 2500to 3000 and felt the boat was maybe 500 more the the spec 6000.  I have an 86.

Roger Schwake

Thanks for the reply Steve. Your boat is right at what the factory specs say it should weigh. My boat must be like it's owner, a little over weight.

Craig Weis

The Com-Pac 19 is a 2000 lb boat and my trailer is about 1000 lb.
I do have a lot of stuff on board and it is at least 600 lb in bulk.
So what, a 2600 lb boat? Or say 20 ft at 130 lb per foot. Skip.