a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Replacement Foam for Cushions for $150

Started by Bristol14, August 18, 2016, 04:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bristol14

Mudlark, my 1987 23-2 has original cabin cushions. The foam was full of mildew but the covers were salvageable and cleaned up nicely after washing them a few times. I got quotes on foam from local sources and the Internet but 4 inch thick foam is pretty pricey. I kept looking and found 4" thick foam mattresses on sale at Overstock.com. I bought a Full size and Queen size for a total of $150. I used a $15 Black & Decker electric knife to cut the foam to size using the covers as a template. The mattresses are an inch or two shorter than the old foam, but I'm guessing we'll never know the difference.
Paul

Tom L.

Sounds like a really good buy. If you have pieces of foam left over you can us a spray adhesive to join the small end pieces to your new cushions to make them full size. The adhesive is available from many sources but I know Sail Rite has the adhesive. A comfortable boat cushion is all about the density. For sleeping we have use high density foam so we don't bottom out.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat