Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

C-27 Stuff

Started by deisher6, July 27, 2016, 09:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deisher6

Hey Warm Weather Sailors!

Went sailing 11-13 July.  It has been to long since I had the boat on the water.  Soon as I pulled away from the dock I knew that the boat was not responding well.  2000 rpm was only producing 2-3 knots.  When I put up the sail in light wind I had to keep a 10-20° angle on the rudder to stay into the wind.  After pulling the knot/log sensor twice to clean it without successfully getting it to work, I guessed that the bottom was seriously fouled.  Decided to pull up close to shore at Cherry Point near the entrance to Hancock Creek and check out the bottom.  I keep forgetting how I calibrate the depth meter.  So I stopped at 4 feet indicated, amongst some crab pots which are usually at around 8 feet.  Since there was little wind, dropped off the anchor and a bunch of chain with out setting anything.  Put on a mask and fins, that had not been used for at least 30 years, dropped the ladder and stepped into chest deep water.  There were a few barnacles on the prop, but for the most part the black magic marker was keeping them off.  Cleaned that up with a scraper.  The rest of the bottom was covered with 1/8-1/4 inch of slime and snails.  Spent about 45 minutes with a brush to clean the bottom. Sitting slightly bow down because of the fresh water load just the forward edge of the keel was touching the bottom.  The nearby bottom made it easy to get some leverage to run the brush.  The ablative paint worked as advertised.  Next time I will get a little further down river for some clearer water.

BTW the added three inch Starboard rungs on the boarding ladder are very much worth it.

Knot meter started working,  2000 rpm generated 4.8-5.2 knots, rudder had authority.  Saved $50+ for a diver!

Had really forgotten how much fouling effects performance.

OH YEAH!  When visiting our daughter in MN she got me a spot on a J 109 to race.  It was a short handed crew, daughter, skipper and I.  What a racing machine!  Although it had a sink, with 20 or so gallons of fresh water (hand pump), a single burner alcohol stove, you could not stand up in the cabin.  It was the scratch boat in the fleet.  What a great day.

Not to be boring  with a long sea story.  Added yet another jib to the collection, which includes: a 90, 120, 150 and now a asymmetrical  (drifter) from a Pearson 27.  Made a trip up to (Little) Washington 22-26 July.  had the opportunity to fly it a couple of times.  Wes supervised.....

-Fit the C-27 well.
-Easy to set from bag.
-Could set with furled hank on jib.

Tried to copy pictures from photo bucket...it doesn't work like it used to*(&*%(&^$....OK got er done.

regards charlie

PalmettoSailor

Glad to hear you got your "bottom" cleaned up. Beautiful drifter, too.
Marc