News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

2 Cylinder Yamaha F6 on a Suncat (The Beast wieghs 87 Pounds!)

Started by cruz-in, July 23, 2016, 01:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cruz-in

wow....your engine is quiet.

it is not just the sound level, it is the "type" or frequency of the sound  that is not near as bothersome (at least to me) as the sound of a 2 stroke.

Potcake boy

cruz-in,

Yes, I really liked that motor and would almost buy a boat because it could use one of the twin cylinder Yamahas.
However, in saying that I must disclose that I currently own a 23 PH with a Yanmar diesel. I'm confident of getting a lot of scolding over this, but I would not have purchased this boat if it had the single cylinder. The two cylinder diesel has a few rpm ranges that it is noisier and vibrates a bit, but it is pretty nice at cruising speeds of 2200 to 2400 rpm. That gets you around 5 knts in flat water.

My pilot house is for sale and gives you both a motor cruiser and sailboat. It's not really a motor sailor as it doesn't require the engine to reach cruising speed.   Aside from the obvious benefits of the diesel I have found that it adds greatly to the stability of the boat and the trim, because of it's location in the bilge as opposed to hanging on the transom. When I purchased this boat I needed something adequate for cruising and had to be less than 26' in length and shallow draft. Nothing else on the market compared. It served it's purpose well. My wife and I sailed her to St.Pete for the Blues Fest and lived aboard for nine days. There have been some trips of four to five days that have been successful as well. We now have bigger aspirations for cruising which will require a larger vessel/home so the pilot house will become a fond memory.

The real secret to cruising is to enjoy the time spent on the water, and if you have a bad behaviour outboard it can be pretty distracting. I always enjoyed cruising at less than top speed as the motor was quieter, and smoother and the  boat behaved nicer. If you've got to be in a hurry to get somewhere you will miss a large part of the cruise. Don't focus on the destination, but rather on your present surroundings.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Shawn

Here is the engine running at the dock and then throttled back to idle. Again it sounds louder in the video than in real life. Esp. As the boat was not moving so no wind noise. When i pan the camera forward you can hear my Dometic refrigerator's fan running in the cabin. That is very quiet. The initial throttle would have been around 3.5 or 4 knots on the boat.

https://flic.kr/p/KikNE1

Shawn

Potcake boy

Hey Shawn,

Is that a rig to raise the motor that I see? There is also some interesting stuff on your motor mount, would you care to share?

Thanks
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

Shawn

Quote from: Potcake boy on July 24, 2016, 02:39:44 PM

The real secret to cruising is to enjoy the time spent on the water, and if you have a bad behaviour outboard it can be pretty distracting. I always enjoyed cruising at less than top speed as the motor was quieter, and smoother and the  boat behaved nicer. If you've got to be in a hurry to get somewhere you will miss a large part of the cruise. Don't focus on the destination, but rather on your present surroundings.

Well said. I would also just ad that a bad behaving inboard is the same way. I'm thrilled I moved from inboard to outboard on my Sabre. Much less maintenance, drives the boat better, quieter, way more storage and the boat sails better too.

Shawn

Shawn

Quote from: Potcake boy on July 24, 2016, 07:56:16 PM
Hey Shawn,

Is that a rig to raise the motor that I see? There is also some interesting stuff on your motor mount, would you care to share?

Thanks

Yes, a 4:1 setup. I rigged that up on land before launching the boat. The Garlick mount I have is the two spring model (71094) and for the weight of the Suzuki the 4 spring version (71091) would have been better balanced. As it is I don't raise or lower the motor. I leave it one step up from all the way down and just use this instead https://flic.kr/p/JsG23b

The other things you are seeing is the two cables for the remote control along with the electrical connections and fuel line along with the power cable from my 100w solar panel.

On the engine itself you might be seeing the steering lock. It is a factory remote setup so it has a tilt tube for remote steering. I set it up locked straight ahead. Factory setup:

I used a HDPE plate screwed to where the tiller would have been and flipped over the factory remote steering bar and locked it in place to the HDPE plate.

I may change it around to remote steering or tie it into the pedestal steering.

Shawn

Potcake boy

Oh yeah, you remind me of the first guy in the neighborhood that got power windows. LOL
Nice work, was it originally an inboard?
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

Shawn

Yes, a Volvo MD7A. After fighting with it for 3 years I pulled it this season after it acted up when bringing it out of winter hibernation. The high pressure fuel pump died again, it did that the first time I brought the boat home 3 years ago about a 1/2 mile from my dock. I reinforced the transom with (2) 1'x2'x1" fiberglass plates and mounted the outboard and had the Volvo pulled out.

I removed the prop+shaft and strut and glassed over that to reduce drag while sailing.

Still pulling supporting hardware out of the boat and then will clean up that whole area for loads more storage. I also have a large area under the cockpit that the fuel tank was in. The Volvo was about 400 pounds and I've pulled another 100 or 200 pounds of other hardware out. Outboard, mount and reinforcements were about 200 pounds so I'm about 300-400 pounds lighter and have less drag along with a much simpler system that is easier to maintain.

Shawn

cruz-in

Well, if all goes well, I will be picking up the Yamaha 6 HP, 4 Stroke, 2 Cy, long shaft  tomorrow. It seems in great shape. Looks new. Single owner. Says  less than 10 hours on it. Serviced by Yamaha dealer 12 months ago. Has not been used since. Carb wass also cleaned and water pump impeller replaced during that servicing.

I figure at $700, if it does not work out and is too heavy, it is pretty easy to sell for close to what I paid. So not risking tooo much.

I willl keep you all posted on how this goes.

cruz-in

Picked up the new Yamaha 6 HP, 2 cyl, 4 Stroke. It is a 2006 and I found it on Criagslist for $750. It is in near perfect shape and was sparingly used in freshwater only.

It is really nice and crazy quiet/smooth. At idle, stand 5 or 10 feet away and you do not even notice it running.

But (and it is a big "but"), it is heavy. Easy to see where the weight comes from: Just great built quality, extra long tiller, FNR comtrols on the tiller, 2 cylinders, onboard hose fitting for flushing out, steering tightener up front on cowling, etc. Yamaha seems to have put everything they could thing of on it, hence it's 87 pound weight.