a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boom vang and max motor size for CP-23

Started by mike gartland, November 09, 2006, 09:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike gartland

I've recently acquired a 1989 CP-23/3 and am in the process of getting her refurbished a bit before I dunk her for the first time.  Two questions for anyone who cares to share their thoughts.

The boat does not have nor does it appear to have ever had a boom vang.  Previous sailboats I've owned have all had vangs.  Is there a reason the 23 doesn't have one and is it desireable for me to add one?

Secondly, the boat came with a Tohatsu 9.9 hp electric start outboard which appears to have been well maintained and runs well.  However, the transom has a number of spider cracks in the gelcoat where the motor mount bolts through the hull as though the motor has overstressed the transom.  Iv'e inspected the hull from inside and the fiberglass appears sond with no sign of cracks.  The dry weight of the Tohatsu is 82 lbs.  My concern is that the weight of the motor may be too much for the transom.  I have made a couple of back-up plates which will help distribute the load better but still wonder if I should be looking for a smaller motor.  I sail in Texas coastal bays so don't have severe tidal currents to buck but can get caught in some pretty nasty winds at times and would like to have the power if needed.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

WindRush
Mike23

pvansickle

Mike:  I have a 1988 23.  I do have a boom vang, but have only really used it when sailing downwind.  Then I do find that it helps with sail shape and with minimizing the pressure of the sail on the shrouds and spreader.

I  have a 9.9 Tohatsu manual start.  I have an adjustable motor mount that seems to work fine.  I don't have any spider cracks on the transom so I have not been concerned about the weight.  I can well believe that cracks could be a problem if one were to trailer the boat any distance with the motor on the mount.  I think you could get much too much vibration resulting in cracks or worse.

Peter

mike gartland

Peter,

Thanks for your comments.  Guess I will sail my 23 a few times before I decide whether I need the boom vang downwind.  My guess is that I will.  One thing I realized I failed to mention is that the main sheet system had been modified to a mid-boom location by a previous owner.  He had installed a Harken sheet traveller on the bridge immediately aft of the companionway.  I imagine that it will have some effect on helping to maintain sail shape downwind but will have to experiment to see if that's the case.

Thanks also for the 9.9 horse motor comments.  Glad to hear that you don't feel the weight has been excessive to your 23.  Don't know if any of the three previous owners had attempted to trailer with the motor in place.  I certainly haven't.  The new backup plates I installed appear to have allowed me to snug the motor mount more securely against  the transom so I expect the motor will put less stress on it than previously.  As I said before, an internal inspection showed no cracking or deformaion of the fiberglass so I still have hopes that no structureal damage has been done....but I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Mike

WindRush
Mike23