a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

HC and HDC sailcovers

Started by rbh1515, June 05, 2016, 06:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

The sailcovers for both boats appears essentially the same.  The are two zippered openings for the halyard that raises the gaff.  On my boat, the forward zippered opening seems to be placed fine, but the aft opening appears to be 1-2 inches too far forward.  After the first season I am getting significant chaffing on the aft opening.  The forward opening is fine.  There is a HC in our marina, and he appears to have the same problem.  Pic below is from his boat.  Do others have this problem?
Rob

2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Tom L.

I have a little different problem on my Sun Cat. I know it's off issue but here goes anyway. The halyards for the gaff are perfect but the overall length of the cover is about 18" short. The back of the sail is uncovered. No big deal as I trailer sail and when the boat is on the trailer with the mast down I cover the entire boat. Just wonder why it's so short. If I ever decide the leave the mast up and not cover the boat I will simple add an extension on the cover.

Just strange, wonder why it's short?

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

CaptRon28

I probably would have the same problem on my HC if I left this halyard as tight as yours. Give it a little slack and it goes away. Is there any reason why you pull the line so hard?

Ron M
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

rbh1515

That's actually a HC is our marina.  I also keep my halyard taut...otherwise the halyard will bang around a lot on the mast.  Seems like the aft hole should be back about 1-2 inches...then your halyard could be taut or loose.  I presume everyone with a sailcover on an HC or HDC has this issue.
Rob

Craig

Loosen the halyards and tie off to the shrouds. Will not rattle and you can have less tension so the cover will fit better. Works for me.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

rbh1515

Quote from: Craig on June 06, 2016, 03:53:02 PM
Loosen the halyards and tie off to the shrouds. Will not rattle and you can have less tension so the cover will fit better. Works for me.

I'll give it a try!!
Rob

rbh1515

I loosened up the halyard, and attached a bungy between the halyard and the starboard shroud, and all is good....thanks for the advice!
Rob

Craig

Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

blighhigh

I use the gaff halyard attached to the end of the boom as a topping lift.  Eliminates any problem with the sail cover.  Just remember to reattach before sailing

rbh1515

Quote from: blighhigh on June 08, 2016, 01:19:59 PM
I use the gaff halyard attached to the end of the boom as a topping lift.  Eliminates any problem with the sail cover.  Just remember to reattach before sailing

Interesting idea...I may try that out.  Do you use the current hardware (don't remember how it connects) or did you switch to something that is a quick connect/disconnect?
Rob

rbh1515

Stopped at the boat on the way home.  Very easy to switch the aft attachment for the gaff halyard to the end of the boom.  Great solution!!
Rob

rbh1515

Here's what it looks like.  Rob