a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New procedure for adding Photos: Attaching Photos to your posts

Started by Tim Gardner, May 23, 2016, 10:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Gardner

Okay Captains and Admirals, we are now going to go to school!

There is now a way to attach pictures to your posts here without having to upload your pics to a photo hosting site.
(some of us Old-timers remember that we could do that at one time)

First, you must re-size your photo to be less than 128KB 250kb in size.  If you are on a Windows 10 computer here is the procedure:
    1.   Create a folder on your machine titled "resized photos" or something to that effect.
    2.   Navigate to the photo you wish to place in your message. Right click on the file.
    3.   In the drop down menu, left click on Edit.
    4.   In the picture editor that opens, click on "resize" on the menu bar in the upper left side.
    5.   In the resizing box that opens, select "pixels" and enter 800 in the appropriate dimension box.
    6.   Save your resized photo as  "your_original_filename_resized.jpg"

My suggestion here is that we should size our pics to 800 pixels in the longest dimension. So if your photo is a landscape orientation   make the width 800, alternatively if it is a portrait oriented photo, make the length 800.  This sizing will allow the most photos in the storage directory onsite.  If you think more detail is needed, by all means use 1020 as the pixel size, but please do so sparingly.

If you are not on Win 10 and do not see the edit option in the menu box when you right click on your photo, you will need to use third party software such as Prish Resizer.  www.photo-freeware.net/download/action/show/Item/prish-image-resizer/
Download it, install it, and it will appear in the right click drop down menu as "Prish Resizer".  Click on the photo below to see what you will be seeing when you do this.

Do not click on the green Download Now boxes - that's garbage!

(If you are on an Apple product – good luck, I know not,  I-stuff.)

Now that your photo is resized, you can attach them to your message post.
Click on Reply if replying to a post or New message if starting a new thread.
In the lower left of the page there you will see "Additional Options"
Click the dialog box open, and at the very bottom you will find the Attach menu. click on the attach photo below to see what you will see when you do this.

Click on browse, go to your resized photos folder and select the photo you wish to post. Voila, Done! Drop the Mike!
Note the restrictions in the attach section, only 4 photos per post, sizing at 800 pixels will allow the four pics to post.  Try out a few in the testing section, then add photos at will in your messages.

Edit: I increased the size for individual photos, they can now be 250kb in size. Have fun! CaptK :)
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

hoddinr

hoddinr

alsantini

Tim.  First off hello.  I hope all is well with you and your wife.

I printed off the directions and got all set to add a photo to a mew message.  I typed the message (on the Eclipse side) and clicked on the Additional Options.  I picked up 3 options: Notify me of replies, don't use smileys and return to the topic.??  What did I do wrong.  I see the attach menu here but not on the Eclipse section?  Thanks,  Al

Tim Gardner

Al, I just went to your last post under eclipse and the photo attachment was right below the posting thingy box
Try again, and if it still doesn't work pm me your phone number and we'll see what can be done.
TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bristol14

Tim, I'm getting the same problem...when I click on "Additional Options" on my postings, I get the same options (I copied and pasted below)

- Additional Options...
Notify me of replies. Return to this topic. Don't use smileys.

However, I just clicked on "Addtional Options" for this post and the "Choose File" option shows up...
Paul

deisher6

Hey Tim:
Does the old way still work?  I was pretty comfortable with it.
regards charlie

bruce

I'm having the same problem when posting on the Picnic Cat Forum. Under Additional Options, there is no provision for attaching a file. In this forum I do see Attach:....

Mac users can easily resize photos in Preview, by choosing Adjust Size in the Tool menu. Setting the width to 800 pixels gave me a 123 KB file size.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Salty19

OK sailors...I made some changes on the forum software and hopefully fixed the photo attachment problem for everyone. 

Can ya'll give this a try and give some feedback if it's working?  Both the ability to POST and VIEW attachments?

Also if anything else looks or acts strangely, please speak up in case I inadvertently screwed up :)
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bristol14

Just tried to add a photo to my earlier post and it worked.  Thx for the update!
Paul

bruce

I posted two photos. They didn't show in the preview, but came through loud and clear!
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

alsantini

Cool.  Thanks.  Great addition that I know will be used and appreciated.    Al

Eagleye

OK Tim,
Let's give it a go...

Thanks!

-Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Tom L.

Tim, On my lap top some of the posted photos have a paper clip right in front of the jpeg number. When I click this paperclip it opens my computer. Can all people open my PC or just me???

I am concerned. It happened after I posted a picture from my PC but I have since removed the photo but the Paper clip still is right under the photos that others have posted.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Tim Gardner