News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anyone removed a window on their Eclipse?

Started by alsantini, May 14, 2016, 12:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

I have developed a substantial leak in my Port side aft window.  2 big storms hitting the window directly forced a lot of water in.  Is there a gasket or is the sealing done with caulk?  Thanks in advance.

alsantini

I know that I probably should not reply to my own post but....
I removed the inside trim from the aft portside window and just like Gerry said (at CP factory), the caulk is perfect and holding extremely well.  It is the gasket at the bottom of the window.  It has become hard and a bit cracked.  I called the factory and they are ordering 4, so that I can replace each window.  Guess the sun really gets to these gaskets/seals.  I used some silicone o ring grease on them temporarily to possibly hold back the water should we get another gulley washer aimed at the side of my boat.  Once I have replaced them I will post some pics.  Sail On,   Al

waterwheels

Thanks looking forward to the pictures.

We have an awful time getting our windows open. The rubber gasket sticks to the glass. We usually have to find something to "gently" pry the glass open, or push from the outside against the screen.

Anyone have a fix for this.....

Thanks Don

"Living Water"

TedStrat

I have the same problem Don. I end up having to use both hands under the turnbuckles at the same time and pull up evenly. No chance of "one handed" leaning in from the cockpit.  Guess it's better than it leaking but it's not just your boat.
-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

alsantini

I would use some McLube or other o ring silicone lube.  I think it would prevent  the gasket sticking to the glass.

waterwheels

thanks Al,

I have some food grade silicone for my dive gear that should work.

Don

Napier6

I need to replace one also.  Any pictures? Thanks
2005 Com-Pac Eclipse Hull #28 "Skylark"

alsantini

I will post pics but am currently waiting on the gaskets.  Factory was out of stock.  Mark "kinda" indicated that this was a bit common.  The gasket lube that I put on has improved the situation.  The bottom of the gasket is now a bit more flexible.  I will use the lube on the new ones.  The bad part of the gasket is the bottom.  Top and sides look and feel good so I am inclined to believe that this is a sun issue and preventable by either not allowing the boat to be in the sun??  or putting lube designed for O rings.  Turns out the lube I use on the bottom of the sail track is also good for O rings.  Teflon based, water proof.  I will take a pic of it and post.  Gotta go now - Off the Wind is calling me.  Sail On.      Al

alsantini

Well, today I went to the boat to install the window gaskets.  After opening the window and comparing the gasket I did not think they were the same.  I gently removed one from the frame.  It was attached with double sided tape and was one piece.  It was flat against the frame.  The "replacement" ones had a lip that was designed to be pushed into a recess all around the frame.  Wrong ones.  Called and the correct ones are now on order.  I will post the remove and install once I get the correct ones.  Sail On....  Al

alsantini

I replaced the gaskets today and it really was a piece of cake.  Open the window gently pull old flat gasket out.  Place the new gasket flush with the rim to measure excess material.  About an inch on each of the 4.  Clean the glue surface with alcohol.  Peel the glue strip off and push it into position.  Once it is flush close the window.  Voila  They are really tight and require effort to close and latch the window.  Next time at the boat I will put the screens in.  Easy job for anyone to do at $15.00/window

alsantini

I weathered 2 storms with substantial wind/water against the port side of the boat.  No leaks so I am a happy sailor....