a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rudder wobble

Started by Citroen/Dave, April 25, 2016, 10:47:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroen/Dave

Just an observation: the nylon inserts on the lock nuts must suffer after years on the rudder.  I noticed that the lock nuts do not stay "locked".  Once there is play from loose bolts, the rudder casting holes develop side play and "require" re drilling with inserts to get the play out of the rudder.  My first choice is to tighten up the lock nuts rather than re drilling and using inserts. 

I now use real lock nuts below the originals to keep the bolts snug. Flat washers, silicon grease, and a little tension on the bolts.  This will put off indefinitely, the real repair of re drilling and inserts.  The bolts will remain vertical rather than crab sideways cutting the rudder casting.  The keeping tension on the bolts takes the play out of the system if there is any original diameter left in the holes.
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

Peabody

Com-pac does offer new bushings on the parts list.  Just ordered some for a Picnic Cat.

Potcake boy

I find that drinking Rum helps to offset rudder wobble and is really renewable.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Citroen/Dave

At my age I already have enough wobble; keeping on the strait and narrow is a challenge.  Just watch my wake.
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"