a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hello I'm a new member and have a 2013 Suncat

Started by oceanroadus, April 19, 2016, 01:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oceanroadus

Hello, I also posted in the general forum but wanted to do so in the Suncat area as well since I can see myself spaending a lot of time here in the coming months!  I have been admiring the boat design for a few years and we just bought and are outfitting her for some day sailing-overnights around Crystal River, FL.  It will be myself (Frank), my wife and our 2 kids (8&11) for crew.  I am a former schooner bum with lots of time as crew on big boats engaged in sail training.  That said I have lots to learn about the modern small rigs.  I have sailed some modern small boats including an Ensign 22 and a good bit of canoe sailing recently but I will be looking for advice and recommendations from the forum.  Glad to be involved and looking forward to sailing with a gaff rig again!

Frank 
Sunday Cat "Tik Tik"

Previous boats: "Cherry Red" 14' sailing canoe, Suncat "Teala", Legacy "Santosha"

rogerschwake

We all welcome another Sun Cat sailor to the group. I've had mine for about four years and trailer sail around the mid-west. Four on this boat sounds like a lot, but it sure will bring the family together. Have fun with your boat and let us know if you have any questions, someone here should have an answer for you.

ROGER

sjaffess

Where are you living that you plan to sail out of Crystal River?  I'm about an hour away in Summerfield.  I have a Suncat Daysailor that I keep on Lake Wieir.  Do you plan to trail the boat or leave it in the water?  If you would like to come over, I could take you out and give you a trial sail and show you the ropes.  It's a wonderful boat and so easy to sail (especially single handed)   (sgjaffess@gmail.com)

oceanroadus

Thanks for the welcome everyone.  We are in Citrus County so easy access to the Gulf, but the boat will be on a trailer so we plan to check out some of the larger lakes as well so thanks for the offer.  I am in the gear buying stage right now to get her outfitted (and cleaning out the garage lol) but a shakedown cruise with someone familiar with the boat is definitely the best way to learn so I will certainly be in touch!!!   
Sunday Cat "Tik Tik"

Previous boats: "Cherry Red" 14' sailing canoe, Suncat "Teala", Legacy "Santosha"

patfurr

Welcome aboard Frank.  I too am new to the SunCat having purchased my 2012 last fall.  I was able to get out a couple times before the weather turned too cold including the day after Thanksgiving, but put it up for the winter after that.  We got out last Saturday, so living in Laconia, NH I think we were one of the first to put to sail on Lake Winnisquam this year.  We had four adults onboard last fall for a day sail and there was plenty of room in the cockpit as we all took turns at the helm.  The SunCat is a much roomier boat than it's length would suggest.  I cant believe how such a small, yet substantial boat trailers and launches so easily.  Some key points that I have learned so far.  If you have the stock rudder, it is imperative that it be set completely down and pinned (preferably with a nylon shear pin) which cants it slightly forward of pure vertical.  Failing to do so will really degrade your upwind performance and increase tiller weight.  Experiment on all points of sail using the halyards and downhaul to trim the sail.  Fattening it or flattening it with the peak halyard really makes a difference and the adjustments do not need to be much at all to have an effect.  I haven't played with the clew tension line yet but that may have a bit of fine effect on pointing performance also.  Having the centerboard is great as you can find the sweet spot on broad reaches to maximize speed by watching leeway slip.  For a boat with just a few lines and settings you can really do a lot with the sail trim and the below waterline adjustments.  Its a great little boat in all regards.  I will be taking a week off this summer to head up to Lake Champlain to gunk around on the big lake.   Have fun. 
Impulse III

oceanroadus

Thanks for the tips patfurr the rudder is original so that shear pin sounds like a must especially because the West coast of Central FL is full of rocks, oyster bars and shallow water.  Sounds like a great plan fpr your summer, enjoy! 
Sunday Cat "Tik Tik"

hoddinr

Actually MOST of the west coast of Florida has a nice sandy bottom, but north of Anclote Key (Tarpon Springs) there are some limestone outcroppings which must be avoided.

Ron