a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Main Sail Cover

Started by rogerschwake, April 01, 2016, 09:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerschwake

My Sun Cat needs a new sail cover. I'm guessing that the cover is the same age as the boat, twelve years old. It is quite faded and has a few holes and tears. I don't sew and the captain is just a little fussy about his boat so that's not a option. Any ideas on where to buy a good cover at a fair price would be greatly appreciated. That same captain is also a cheap SOB also.

ROGER

NateD

Last time I was looking, Lee Sail Covers (http://www.leesailcovers.com/) seemed like the best deal. I didn't end up getting a sail cover from them (sold that boat before replacing the cover), but I did order a tiller cover from Lee for my CP16 and I was happy with it.

Tom L.

Roger, when checking prices etc. make sure the supplier knows about the extra zippers and openings for the gaff Halyard. the fasteners along the bottom and front should be the quarter turn type so they stay closed at highway speeds.  I would try Com Pac.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

carry-on

Have a Sunbrella main cover from National. After 2.5 years in Florida weather, it is in good shape.
Have a head sail bag from Lee sail covers. Lee uses WeatherMax. Doing well after 1.5 years.
Think either supplier will ask you to provide measurements.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

Jon898

rogerschwake

I have checked around and found that SailboatOwners.com can make a main sail cover for $276.80 for my Sun Cat, this is the best price I've found. They have a pattern so they must of had a order before. Hope no one has had any bad experiences with them in the past. They said it would take about two weeks to get it to me, I'll let you know what it looks like then.

ROGER

Gerry

Don't forget....After you find the sail cover you want at the place you want...Type it into Amazon Prime and EBay to do a comparison.  Often they sailing supplies are much less expensive that way.

Gerry
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

rogerschwake

Received the new sail cover today. It looks great and fits real good also. Don't know about longevity for sure but from what I can tell I'm happy. There add said they had patterns for all the Com-Pac sailboats. I will let you know if I have any trouble with the cover but would do business with Sailboat Owners again.

ROGER

Railroad Greg

I would like to know if the sail cover is still in good shape?
Also, did the cover have a zipper at mast area and toggle fasteners along the bottom of boom?

rogerschwake

Yes the sail cover has a zipper in front of the mast along with a Velcro flap. Also slits for the gaff halyard with zippers. The bottom of the cover closes with plastic slide together buckles. It looks like new yet and it sets out side all summer. I still have no complants, it fits good and looks great. I'd buy one from them again.

ROGER

Railroad Greg

Thanks for the quick response, Very helpful