Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Input sought on upgrading from CP23 to CP27

Started by thomeng55, March 07, 2016, 02:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomeng55

Hi All

I have a 2000 CP23 but have a request from my wife for a real Head and Standing headroom. 

I love my compac 23.  But alas... a curtain does not qualify as a "head" and kneeling headroom is not my wife's idea of standing headroom.

Trading in the wife is not an economical option, so.... a new boat.

I have seen some CP27s and am looking at 2 at the moment, over the next 2 weeks.

My cruising plans are as follows: 

• Sail around SOuth Lake Michigan (home waters)
  • Sail up the Lake to Mackinac and Greenbay
  • Considering Sailing the Great Loop
  • Like to Sail to Bahamas and the caribbean - VIs, and beyond
  • Possible jump to Mexican Penninsula or coast of South American

I do a LOT of solo sailing so it needs to be able to be singlehanded pretty easily.

It would be nice if the boat was transportable, preferably without hiring a transport company.

So what is the learned opinions of those CP27 sailors who have gone before me?

Look forward to getting some input.

Thanks

Tom
S/V TomCat

deisher6

Hey tom:

C-27 is very easy to solo especially with an auto pilot of some sort. 

I would check out  this one  http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/48884 since it has a trailer. If you have not all ready.

I would not attempt to step the mast without some sort of crane or travel lift that could lift the mast.

We were very happy with three youngsters with a new '86 for four years. I have been very happy with our used '86 for the past 2.5 years.  The admiral does not sail very much.

Best of luck.

regards charlie

crazycarl

check ebay.

there was an '87 listed for $12,000, but the listing expired.

it may come back on.

c.c.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

cfelle2

I upgraded from a CP23 to CP27 last year.  It is a tremendous upgrade very easy to single hand.  Actually with an autopilot I find it much easier to single hand than the 23.  Ours is a 1988 that we sail on Lake Erie.  My wife and I feel that it is the perfect boat for us and we have no desire or plans to upgrade from it.  This is a first for me I always have had an eye on the next boat until now.

Chris 

thomeng55

Thanks for the input.  I am looking at a couple of 27s right now.  It seems like it fulfills nearly all my needs.  And, except for some grandkids, its mostly me, with occassionally my wife or one of my kids.

brackish

I have a 2000 CP23 but have a request from my wife for a real Head and Standing headroom.

I'm considering the same thing for exactly the same reason.  Well, my wife is adamant about the separate head and I'm the one who is seeking standing headroom.  Having owned a boat in the 30' range for 16 years, we miss those things.  Additionally, I thought I would trailer more, however, the reality is the boat stays in the water most of the time and we only trailer about once every other year for a week or so.  I would be better off with a bareboat charter for that.

thomeng55

Quote from: thomeng55 on March 08, 2016, 10:35:28 AM
Thanks for the input.  I am looking at a couple of 27s right now.  It seems like it fulfills nearly all my needs.  And, except for some grandkids, its mostly me, with occassionally my wife or one of my kids.

What type of Autopilot do you have.  One of the 27s doesnt have an autopilot and wanted to see what kids is recommended.

Tom

relamb

Tom, we sail in the same areas, I had a CP23 all around Lake Michigan including singlehanded crossing from Frankfort to Sturgeon Bay and back, up to Mackinac Island, etc.
I also sailed it around Tampa Bay and SW Florida.
My CP27 was docked in Michigan City all last summer, and now it's in St Petersburg for the winter.

They are two different boats.  The CP23 was easily trailerable, I towed it everywhere and it's worth it for just a week of sailing if you want to go someplace different.  No need to sail from Chicago to Mackinac Island when you can trailer up and launch at St Ignace, and spend time being there instead of getting there.
Although the wife and I loved it, it was difficult with any overnight visitors.
The CP27 is great for a family, large enough that I have lived on it for several months at a time last winter, and my college aged kids can come stay for a weekend or more.   The problem with it is transport.  I have a trailer and I haul it myself, but it's not worth the travellift and hoist fees to do on a whim, along with scheduling the in/out times with the boatyard, and the travel time is much slower.  With the CP23 I can whip down to FL and be in the water in 24 hours and head home a week later.  With the CP27 it takes 3 days to get it there and in the water, and 3 days to get it out and back home.  So it's more of a seasonal thing.
If you want to go anyplace, it's on her own bottom, so you have to invest the time to get there instead of being there.  CP23 trips were often one-way.  Sail there, tow home.  CP27 trips are usually going half as far and then heading back to my marina.

I can singlehand my CP27 easily now that I have an autopilot, bought a new Raymarine.   Before installing that, it was difficult keeping the boat pointed while i raised/lowered the sails.  There's no roller furler so I'm up on the foredeck changing sails.  Would not be without it, but plan on some $$ to add one.

CP27 is still a tad small, I'd like a few more feet for a bigger head and a little more privacy.  But any bigger there's no way I could transport it myself.
I also need to add refrigeration, I can't keep ice more than a few days in FL, and then there's the humidity issue when I'm living on it at the dock.

Rick

Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

thomeng55

Thanks Rick.  I appreciate the comments. I have never been on a 27 but that changes on Friday.

I am still torn on the 23.  Such a sweet boat

Tom

relamb

Mine could possibly be for sale.  In St Pete now but will be back up north later this spring.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Bob23

Oh no!!! You're 27 maybe for sale? Hmm...this is not a good thing for me to know about. I've enjoyed following this thread. Although I'm a dedicated 23 guy, it would be nice to stand erect like a real 21st century homo sapien. I've been aboard a 27 or 2 but only sailed on one briefly once. Love the room down below. They are indeed 2 very different boats.
Bob23

relamb

I would only sell it because now that I have a boat with a head and big enough to stand in, my college aged kids, their girlfriends, my in-laws, and everybody else shows up to visit.  I had 5 adults for a week staying on it at Christmas last year, and many times have had two couples for a weekend to a week.
...and I have my first grandchildren baking in the oven.
So as much as I like the CP27, I either need a much bigger boat, or I need a 2nd boat in the slip next door as a guest house!
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Craig Weis

Different uses for these two different boats.

The smaller one I'm thinking is for day and weekend sailing.
While the larger one is for living on a sail boat.

A way different way of thinking. The limits are $$'s of course.

skip.