a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

bottom paint questions

Started by DanM, March 06, 2016, 08:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanM

I have a 2011 SunCat that has the factory epoxy bottom coat and anti-fouling paint. I would like to renew the paint... Gerry Hutchins says they use West Marine Bottom Shield anti-fouling paint. So, I have two questions:
Any recommendations for preparing the surface for painting? It has been a fresh-water boat and it's quite clean on the bottom, except for a margin near the water line it's a little bit algae-green, but more like just a stain than a layer of crud. I don't want to do any sanding as i don't want to risk breaking through the epoxy bottom coat. (Also I will probably clean and wax the topsides, any opinions on products and whether to do that before or after the bottom paint?)
  Also looking for ideas of how to paint the areas made inaccessible by the trailer bunks. I suppose the obvious thing is to bring it to a yard to put the boat in slings or on jacks, but I wonder if there is some clever DIY alternative plan that I'm not thinking of.
   Thanks in advance for any advice. Temps going to the 60's next week here in upstate NY...I wonder if it is safe to take the tarp off yet.............itching to get started on projects.....

Tim Gardner

Dan,
Use a ratchet strap or two to hold one side of the hull to bunk, and lower the opposite bunk a couple of inches to roll under it. Then repeat for the other side after replacing the first bunk back to the marks you make before lowering it.  My trailer has rollers, so I am going to shift the boat back a few inches to get to the keel bottom.

On my graduation day from college, May 17, 19XX, IT SNOWED!  in central NY.  BRRRRR bad place to be forced to live and sail.  Two seasons there, Winter and Road Repair😎
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

DanM

Thanks, Tim, that is a clever idea, I didn't think about dropping the bunks one at a time. The only piece still inaccessible would be where the underside of the keel rests on the trailer. Also that doesn't allow for inspection of the CB, but I could call it good enough for the painting. .
PS, don't short-change the NE, between "winter" and "road repair"seasons, there is also "mud" season.

rogerschwake

Dan
  All the information I'll give here is free and probably all its worth. I would do the bottom first because its the worst job and if you get wax on the bottom the paint will not stick. If the bottom paint  looks good I wouldn't touch it. If the green around the water line bothers you, lightly sand it off just enough to get rid of the green. Then buy a quart of paint and paint from the water line down maybe a foot. The crud grows best where the sun get to your hull. On wax I've been using Meguiar's products the last five year or more. If your boat need a real deep cleaning us there Power Cut Compound, don't do this unless your hull really needs it, what a job. My dark blue hull fades bad because it sets out side all summer and this stuff really works good. I've used there Color Restorer but could not see any difference. Maybe some Polish is all you need and hopefully  just a wax job will do, there's a good reason it's called a job. Good luck with your spring cleaning.

ROGER