a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Longest Voyage on a CP27?

Started by Patrick, January 23, 2016, 10:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob23

Maybe Steadfast will tell us about his sailing adventures from New England to Virginia and then on to Florida. I had the pleasure of meeting up with he and his wife in Cape May, NJ during a layover and we shared some fine NJ pizza and beer.
  After the Blackburn Challenge 2014, I almost met up with them in Rockport, Maine. If fact, I may have seen their boat but alas, the meeting did not take place. But then again, the pizza in NJ is far better than Maine!!! 

Bob23

Patrick

Quote from: Bob23 on March 19, 2016, 05:38:38 PM
  Maybe Steadfast will tell us about his sailing adventures from New England to Virginia and then on to Florida. I had the pleasure of meeting up with he and his wife in Cape May, NJ during a layover and we shared some fine NJ pizza and beer.
  After the Blackburn Challenge 2014, I almost met up with them in Rockport, Maine. If fact, I may have seen their boat but alas, the meeting did not take place. But then again, the pizza in NJ is far better than Maine!!! 

Bob23

That was the previous owner. I was lucky enough to pick up Steadfast a year ago and brought her up to IL. We wintered the boat again in Florida near Tampa this winter.  It's getting time to bring her north again!
CP 27/2 - #169 - Sagacity - Peoria Heights, IL

Bob23

I knew that Bill had sold Steadfast but didn't remember to who. She's a nice vessel. Feel free to share your adventures.
Bob23

crazycarl

pgudat,

Where abouts in illinois do you keep your 27?

I've been lookong at them online, but haven't the chance to see one "in person".

c.c.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

kickingbug1

a 27, now that's a boat for the clr!
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Patrick

Patrick

Quote from: crazycarl on April 03, 2016, 01:51:28 PM
pgudat,

Where abouts in illinois do you keep your 27?

I've been lookong at them online, but haven't the chance to see one "in person".

c.c.

We will have it in Peoria, IL again this summer.  Right now we are down in Florida.

relamb

Just did my longest voyage this weekend, singlehanded.    Headed 100 miles straight offshore from the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Tampa, turned around and came back.  Just to say I did.    250 total miles in 50 hours nonstop sailing.  I caught my first ever tuna while trolling, about 80 miles out. 
Rick
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

frank

NICE!!

Did you have crew for split watches?

Good for Ya with the tuna as well!'
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

SouthernNomad

That's pretty cool!
How was the tanker and ship traffic out there? Or did you find complete solitude?
Did that tuna turn into Sashimi?

relamb

No crew, singlehanded.  The watch method is to turn on the autopilot, set an alarm, take a nap for 20-30 minutes.  Wake up, look around to make sure there were no lights on the horizon, then set the alarm and sleep for another short stint.  By the second night I was automatically waking up without the alarm.  I would also wake up at every wind shift or change in the wave motion or heeling.  There were lots of ships and fishing boats within 20-30 miles of the mouth of Tampa Bay, but not many farther out.  Seemed to be a shipping lane north-south about 30 miles offshore, I saw several ships in that area, only 1 going out straight west past 30 miles.
Amazing the different species (?) or types of dophins, the ones near shore were mostly gray, farther out were some pitch black colored ones, and 80+ miles out there were more mottled colored.  Scared up some flying fish, and caught a tuna, but not much other sea life.  I've seen several sea turtles from the Skyway fishing piers, and expected to see some but did not.  ...what I did see about 5 of?  Those silver/mylar helium balloons floating in the sea, with Happy Mothers Day on them.  I'd see one in the distance, sail over thinking it was a Portugese Man of War jellyfish, and then find it was a balloon.  I fetched out as many as I could.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

relamb

Unfortunately I had to cut the tuna loose, I could not get it hauled up into the boat by myself, and even if I did I'm not sure I would have had enough ice to keep it fresh for a couple of days.   ....next time- a gaff and more ice.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN